Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2015 4:37:00 PM EDT
House is only new to me but its no more then 10 years old. So I'm making a reloading area in my garage but I see one problem the garage door I can see a lot of light through it or I should say the gaps on the side of the door.

So is there anyway to take care of that? Noe just renting this place so I can't replace the whole door! Like to hear what you have to say!

Also the garage has outlets but noticed they do not work even placed my volt meter in them and they read 0.00 I have gone to the fuse box and flipped all the switch on that also. I have the same problem with all the power outlets outside also! Can anyone give me some advice?

Edited because I hit send and had another question and wanted to add it not make another post.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:43:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Your post has a doppleganger anyway.

No suggestion on garage door yet, I will wait to see which post of yours survives.

ETA... I do have a question about your outlets issue. When you say you have flipped your breakers back on at the panel box, were the breaker(s) actually off or tripped?
A tripped breaker usually does not "feel" like it is all the way off or all the way on, and you have to actually turn it to all the way to the off position  before you can turn it on. And are your garage and outdoor outlets on one breaker only, or more than one breaker?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Check for tripped GFI.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check for tripped GFI.
View Quote

First thing to do
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Garage door fix http://www.greenhingesystem.com/

As suggested on the elect. you probably have a tripped GFCI somewhere in the circuit.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:30:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Is the door missing the weather stripping?  It should have a molding with a seal going around it.  Sounds like yours might be missing.

And yeah, probably a tripped GFCI.  I'm pretty sure those receptacles were required to be GFCI protected. It might not be in the garage, but likely somewhere there is a GFCI receptacle that is wired through.  Flip the breaker off then on again if you haven't already.  Sometimes they trip but you can't see that it is.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:30:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Here is the outlet I have flipped the switch on the fuse box a few times and I have not found where the GFCI is at.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Are you sure that is a "real" power source at this point? Have you pulled it from the wall to make sure it is actually wired up? It could be a secret hiding spot meant to look like an outlet, where a previous tenant stashed some bills or jewelry. Some people are clever.

You should be fine if it is actually dead, just be careful where you put your fingers, since maybe a wire is loose or broken inside the outlet receptacle itself. If it is really wired up and the connections are snug, what people are trying to tell you is that it could  be wired in with a GFCI outlet that is somewhere else in your house, and that GFCI outlet itself is tripped, and therefor your power downstream from that GFCI (hypothetically, this outlet) is also dead. The GFCI has to be reset at the GFCI outlet itself, not the breaker panel.

Conversely, since you are renting, put the landlord onto fixing this issue, if it looks like it is wired up but you still can't find out why it's not hot.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top