Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2015 8:27:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:12:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Can you provide a pic of the attic space looking in the same direction?

Just being nosy, is that a lake in the pic of the window?  Gorgeous color!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I can but you won't see anything except blown in insulation.
I'm at work now so won't be able to post a pic until tomorrow morning.
No..unfortunately it isn't a lake..it's the 13th hole of our local golf course.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you provide a pic of the attic space looking in the same direction?

Just being nosy, is that a lake in the pic of the window? Gorgeous color!

I can but you won't see anything except blown in insulation.
I'm at work now so won't be able to post a pic until tomorrow morning.
No..unfortunately it isn't a lake..it's the 13th hole of our local golf course.

Ahh, forgot where you live.

What I'm curious about if there is an upset or flush beam carrying the ceiling joist/ collar tie that lands on the wall that you want to put the pass through in...  It's a common method of framing here.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#4]
It has rafters supported in the middle of the house.
How has this section of the roof not caved in?
View Quote

There is a weight bearing wall under the overlap most likely.

It will be aligned with bearing walls/posts all the way to the foundation.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:48:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#6]
While you're up there could you take a look at the area above what looks like ballusters in the one pic?  I assume that lines up with the kitchen wall but I'm not certain.

I wonder if the house was renovated at some point and if there is already a LVL or common beam at that location???
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Unless I crawl through 30 feet of blown in insulation..... snip
View Quote

I don't envy you.  Last time I did that it was hot and I came out of the attic looking tared and feathered!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:08:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Hope you like pausing the TV every time the water is turned on.  We have an open floor plan and I have seriously considered putting in walls.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Trying to understand where the attic access door is located... I'm assuming all of the recent pics were taking while on a ladder in the opening, correct?   Going back to the second pic in your first post, is the attic access off to the right and against the soffit that has the balusters?  

ETA- Are those three flat boards at the ceiling forming the top of the soffit?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't envy you.  Last time I did that it was hot and I came out of the attic looking tared and feathered!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless I crawl through 30 feet of blown in insulation..... snip

Use a small garden rake to move the insulation.
Rake it back when you are done.

The 'adjustable' ones work nicely.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:49:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn't go over 5 feet in that situation with a 2x10 header
personally I would use a 12" lvl removing one top plate spanning 8' in the clear with 3 jacks on each end
make sure you add support underneath at the new point loads

For what its worth
You could knock out all the walls using properly sized beams pushed into the attic and have a smooth ceiling
much more cost and work but it's what I do for a living
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the 3rd batch of pics, Striker, that helped.  

I would follow Handydave's lead and use a double 12" LVL with triple jacks.  It looks like if you went that route the underside of the beam's trim could be adjusted to match the height of the soffit on the other side of the room for some eye candy.  Would you prefer a beam below the ceiling joist or flush with the ceiling joist like Handydave mentioned as an alternate?

Just to add to what Handydave and Brickeye mentioned...  The post carrying the new beam shouldn't just rest on the subfloor or a single floor joist.  It should be transferred to the beam or foundation wall below the floor with solid wood blocking.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#19]
She'll probably still love you.  You'll know soon enough
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I was done for the day and logged out but-
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
she hasn't thrown blankets and a pillow on the sofa yet..I might come through this okay!

View Quote

Hard to tell in these situations, it's still early in the evening with too much time to think...  Maybe her favorite restaurant has space available?

You guys take care and good luck with your project!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:48:09 AM EDT
[#25]
It's not very difficult to do the drop header at all
It may cost you about $200 in materials
You and a buddy/wife could easily do it in a day  
You'll regret not doing it
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
$200 I could live with..risking the structural integrity of the house because I have no idea what I'm doing...isn't something that excites me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not very difficult to do the drop header at all
It may cost you about $200 in materials
You and a buddy/wife could easily do it in a day  
You'll regret not doing it
$200 I could live with..risking the structural integrity of the house because I have no idea what I'm doing...isn't something that excites me.

Understanding what you can (and cannot) accomplish is worth a LOT of money.

Get a bid if she is still hot on it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:20:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I had assumed..if it was a load bearing wall..I would have to put up a temp wall, cut out the hole and install a "header" like you do in a doorway..
or is that what you guys said..in your contractor speak?  Yes

ETA..regarding point load..the basement is finished and there is a wall below this one. the exception is..the kitchen wall is 11 feet from the exterior wall and the one downstairs is only 10 feet.
 They're probably aligned.  I think the dimensional difference that you noticed is that the basement wall is much thicker than the framed wall above..  The basement cement / cmu block wall is probably 12" thick then add furring and drywall  and you're near a 12" discrepancy.  
View Quote

This isn't at all complicated.  Each time you posted you added a little more information that filled in the blanks.  My biggest concern was  what was carrying the ceiling in the adjoining space but if you install a LVL below the kitchen ceiling joist the LVL should carry whatever beam is up there and buried in the insulation.

This isn't an apples to apples comparison because you have a basement bearing wall below but it describes the blocking for the point load at 40 seconds-  LINK      In your case, the blocking would be installed on top of the basement wall's top plate to fill the space between your kitchen floor's- floor joist.  That's it in a nut shell.

ETA- when we're talking about jacks... it's just three studs under each end of the LVL to carry the load to the floor.  It's nice to have all of that wood for the trim phase too.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#31]
If you are installing new kitchen flooring you could cut holes in the subfloor to install the blocking
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I am..but how would I deal with the point load being 1 foot away from the top plate of the wall down stairs?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you are installing new kitchen flooring you could cut holes in the subfloor to install the blocking
I am..but how would I deal with the point load being 1 foot away from the top plate of the wall down stairs?

Cut a small hole in the floor and you can see where the wall below is
As another poster stated the wall likely stacks and the foundation wall is the 12" discrepancy
Depending on what's inside the basement wall you may need to add a few studs in the lower wall
You essentially want to create s column from the header all the way to the foundation
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top