Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2015 8:17:17 PM EDT

Some years ago I installed (by myself) a 300 cfm range hood.  One night I noticed that the #2 speed did not work.  I thought the motor was the problem, but there could be other components at fault, so I bought a damaged unit for cheap.

I replaced parts until I found out it was a transformer that determined fan speed, through a control board.

So, the transformer supplies DC to the motor.  Would a transformer rated different from the one I have in it, make a 400 cfm motor out of a 300 cfm motor?

Yes, English is my first language although I didn't use it well tonight  

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:53:02 PM EDT
[#1]
A transformer does not convert AC to DC, it merely "transforms" the AC line voltage into whatever AC voltage the manufacturer wants. Diodes convert AC to DC namely silicon rectifier diodes. Most often the 117 volt line voltage is stepped down (transformed) and then rectified to DC with diodes and sometimes regulated as well.
ETA - Most appliance motors are AC motors and speed is regulated by how many of the windings are powered up. Usually controlled by a simple switch.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Why do you think it is a DC motor?

It is possible it's DC but I think it's unlikely.

Honestly, you need to post a schematic or photos of the unit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#3]
By varying the number of stator poles you  an design an induction motor for limited variable steps.

At least put a volt meter with an AC and DC mode and see what it says in each mode on the control output.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top