Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2015 11:46:38 AM EDT
House I may check out this weekend. Wondering how hard/easy it would be to enclose the car port , put up garage door and add some electrical outlets.

Back side *not that shed thing in the background , but where the front of the car is poking its nose out at. lol

Front part

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Shouldn't be that hard if you just stick frame it. May take some thought to install a garage door and make it sturdy enough to support that.

Wiring shouldn't be bad either if you've worked with electrical before. Especially if you're not trying to make it a finished interior.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#2]
My dad enclosed the carport on our old house when I was a kid, turned it into a family room.  He also added a two car garage at the same time.  Turned out great!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The existing posts are bearing the load of the roof. You will have to pour a short stem wall and frame on top of that. The wall and door between the house and the garage will have to be fire rated.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll throw my two cents in.........................

Leave it alone, build a two car single door larger garage to the right of the carport (attached buy the carport roof). Use the old car port as a breeze way covered outdoor area. You'll be much happier.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:39:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Carport footings are often not adequate to build on.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Leave it alone, build a two car single door larger garage to the right of the carport (attached buy the carport roof). Use the old car port as a breeze way covered outdoor area. You'll be much happier.
View Quote

I vote for this too. It appears you have more than enough room to do it, and it will be exactly what you want instead of the best you could convert something else.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:53:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I vote for this too. It appears you have more than enough room to do it, and it will be exactly what you want instead of the best you could convert something else.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Add me in with them.  I think it'd compliment your house more too.  I for one have always liked the carport/breezeway between a garage and a home....but I'm weird apparently.  

<eta> if building a garage would cut off access to the back for your RV, make it a drive through garage.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I converted my garage into a car port once.
Foot slipped off the brake onto the gas pedal.

Very messy

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I passed on the house anyways, but good info and insight. If I run across this again, I like the idea of using the carport as a breeze way to an actual garage (If there is room for one on next property)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top