Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2015 5:49:30 PM EDT
Got the OK from the wife to get a new cordless drill and I'm looking for advice on what one is the best out there? Price is not really an issue.

I'm looking for one that have high volt dont know much about these things last drill was a Craftsmen 17v I still have it and still works just would like another drill around the house and I wanting the top of the line. Yet I dont want top of the line if the warranty is not a good one like the ones that only have 5 year.

Thanks for the help and advice on this!

Edited do to WTF!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#1]
cant go wrong with the newer 20 volt dewalt. they are what i use to make a living.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the Rigid 18 volt lithium ion.  Rigid gives you a lifetime warranty if you register the purchase with them online.

Over the years, they have replaced the batteries, charger and the drill...no charge.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#3]
get the one with the most torque you have the strength to hold at arm's length for a little while.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
cant go wrong with the newer 20 volt dewalt. they are what i use to make a living.
View Quote

this, got a combo set on black friday for $150.  they weigh nothing and are powerful as hell.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Hitachi or Bosch
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#6]
The Dewalt DCD795D2 20V MAX Lithium Ion Brushless Compact Hammerdrill is a great tool. Any of Dewalt's 20V MAX line is phenomenal.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:56:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I know Dewalt makes great drills! But as I was looking online for reviews they were on the list of the top 5 of most that I read but none of them was it rated #1 on the pick.

Now I will admit I'm looking for this for home use that is about it. No trying to flame Dewalt or anything when I was at Lowes and wife said I could buy a now drill I went right to the Dewalr but stopped and thought I need to look this up first and get more info since I know nothing of these tools at all!

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:15:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:16:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The best one going, according to many, is the Milwaukee M18 FUEL brushless.  They are great.  
View Quote

I have a DeWalt 20V drill and impact combo at work, a full DeWalt 18V set (Circ saw, sawzall, angle grinder, etc) at home.  They're great, and would buy them again in a heartbeat.  

In our shift box at work, we have all Hilti.  Also, very good.

If money was no object, i would go with Hilti, if I was paying out of my own pocket and only needed a drill or impact, I'd go with Milwaukee.  For use at home, on my own dime, DeWalt does everything I need cheaper than the other two.

All of them are good to go, just depends on what you want from them.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The best one going, according to many, is the Milwaukee M18 FUEL brushless.  They are great.  
View Quote

The Milwaukee Fuel line is indeed excellent overall.  However if you read up over on Garage Journal there are many issues with the 18V Milwaukee Fuel drill chucks not holding bits under heavy loads/usage conditions (boring wood, etc).  DeWalt use to use (don't know if they still do) Rohm Supra chucks which are top notch.

Having said that, I would look into this as an investment into a 'system' of cordless tools which I feel the 18V Milwaukee Fuel line is the best investment overall due to their other innovative tools such as the 3/8" Fuel impact and cordless circular saw.  Not to mention they have a 5 year warranty with pre-paid shipping labels.

If money is no object then Hilti.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#11]
If you are buying into a system go with Milwaukee. If you are just wanting a drill get either a Bosch 12V or a Ridgid 12/18v unit. The new 12Vs are damn good and unless you are doing projects where you need a lot of drilling they will work fine.

Me personally I went with ridgid for the battery warranty (only on the ones that come with the tools, extras are 3yr warranty). My stuff is home use only so it's very very low use
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:59:58 PM EDT
[#12]
This is a great deal ($129 when I posted this), and it's perfect for you as a homeowner, not using it commercially.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7835299-4-pc-ryobi-18-v-one-lithium-ion-super-combo-kit-drill-reciprocating-saw-circular-saw-flashlight-2-batteries-129-free-shipping-homedepot-com

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:19:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Bosch and Dewalt are what I use as a General Contractor. The Bosch seems to be a bit better balanced and have a touch more power. Dewalt has a larger line up if you are looking to buy into the cordless system. Dewalt batteries are easier to source - at least in my area.

In all reality all the major manufactures are making a good drill right now. A lot of it will come down to picking what feels best in your hand.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#15]
My vote is makita, been using them for years now. Everyone on the job site has a different brand, but most common is the makita.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have the Rigid 18 volt lithium ion.  Rigid gives you a lifetime warranty if you register the purchase with them online.

Over the years, they have replaced the batteries, charger and the drill...no charge.
View Quote

Agree

As a DIY'er Rigid has been a solid tool, wouldn't be on my radar as a contractor.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Festool

The man said price wasn't a consideration
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is a great deal ($129 when I posted this), and it's perfect for you as a homeowner, not using it commercially.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7835299-4-pc-ryobi-18-v-one-lithium-ion-super-combo-kit-drill-reciprocating-saw-circular-saw-flashlight-2-batteries-129-free-shipping-homedepot-com

View Quote

I owned a ryobi set for 6 hrs, started a project, hated the ergo's of every tool. Seriously lacking in the power dept. Back it went.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't have any complaints about my Milwaukee Fuel.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#20]
DeWalt owner here. I`ve worked the Devil out of my stuff and never looked back. I owned an Ace store and robbed my self blind when I sold it. Not much that I don`t own the DeWalt makes.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Got the OK from the wife to get a new cordless drill and I'm looking for advice on what one is the best out there? Price is not really an issue.

I'm looking for one that have high volt dont know much about these things last drill was a Craftsmen 17v I still have it and still works just would like another drill around the house and I wanting the top of the line. Yet I dont want top of the line if the warranty is not a good one like the ones that only have 5 year.

Thanks for the help and advice on this!

Edited do to WTF!
View Quote

As a DIY homeowner my general view on tools is that cheap Chinese junk (think Harbor Freight) is fine for something that will be used infrequently but for the important stuff like cordless drills/drivers, levels, saws, etc., it pays to spend the money and get quality.

After spending many hours reading reviews on amazon.com I went to Home Depot and spent quite a while checking out different combo sets. I wanted quality but also value and above all, they had to feel really good in my hand--like a Glock 21. You can get great value from buying RIGID but when I compared the ergonomics and feel of all I looked at, I went with a DeWalt 20V Max brushless combo set. I have since floored a large area of attic, put subflooring (including a lot of blocking) in a 13' x 14' room, and am in the process of putting together a shed. I am quite happy with what I bought.

BTW, I had read that the brushless tools go longer on a battery charge but my experience is that they can go what seems like an insanely long time on a single charge. In addition to the 1.5 AH batteries that came with the set I got a pair of 3 AH batteries. I rarely use the 3 AH batteries because they are heavier than the smaller ones and for stuff like drilling and screwing plywood and blocking for flooring, the 1.5 AH batteries can go all day. Not only that, they seem to charge very quickly.

I should mention that I got a DeWalt DCF886 1/4" impact driver and DCD790 drill/driver. They do everything I need with no issues and have enough torque to hurt you if you limp wrist and the drill catches on something.

Pros:
- Great feel in my hands
- Runs a long time on a single charge
- Lots of torque
- Really handy belt clip on each tool
- LED lights come on when you pull trigger half way and light up work nicely
- Relatively compact

Cons:
- Not really a con but both have a very light trigger that takes some getting used to

Hope this helps.

For the TLDR; crowd: DeWalt 20V Max brushless combo set rocks!!!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Milwaukee 18v fuel

Just yesterday mine was still going after both our electricians Dewalt and Mikita died
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 3:50:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Each brand will have a downside and everything breaks eventually. Just pick one of the top brands and be done with it. I am a fan of DeWalt but I went with a corded Black and Decker since I'm a broke college student.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Another vote for Makita.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#26]
No one has said anything about Sears new 20V.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:46:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

If that's what you want to buy...then buy it.  

No one has recommended it.....for a reason.  You asked for recommendations........
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

My dad has a set of the Craftsman 18V Max tools. He has the lithium ion battery for them. They've worked well for what we've needed them for around the house. Would I use them as a contractor? No. But they're just fine for the suburban homeowner who will only use them occaissionally.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've had the opposite experience with Rigid.  I've had problems from buying Rigid, directly in the HD store, and bringing it home to open the box and finding a reman drill that wasn't even the right model number in the box to having them "lose" my online registration info.  I've bought Rigid tools with batteries that were 4 years old in the box.

I now have Milwaukee and am happy with them.  If price were not an object I would get Dewalt.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 12:28:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Agree

As a DIY'er Rigid has been a solid tool, wouldn't be on my radar as a contractor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agree

I am a contractor and I use the Rigid tools hard.  I use the reciprocating saw and the circular saw to cut PVC pipe up to 15" diameter.  They get used in muddy trenches with no problems.

The batteries and charger get replaced about every 12-14 months.  This is also true with other brands that I have but Rigid replaces them for free.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 12:36:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

My son works construction and says they are the BEST he's ever used.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top