Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2015 12:46:29 PM EDT
Not worried about cost, just want a reliable one thanks
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Craftsman belt drive, with Assure Link.  I can open or close it with my phone or computer.  I can see when it was opened or closed, set alarms, etc.  It also has a battery backup.  The only thing I don't like about it is that it's so quite, I can't hear it open from inside the house.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want to look at another forum with lots of great info

GarageJournal.com

Many members are transitioning to the Liftmaster 8500 direct drive.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:49:53 PM EDT
[#3]
This is what I replaced my old unit with when it died...

SOMMER Direct Drive

Extremely smooth and very quiet. All you hear is a hum and the rollers clicking.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:23:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Chamberlain 0.5-HP Whisper Drive Belt Garage Door Opener
Item #: 20696 |  Model #: LW3500

Just installed it. Quiet and fast.  Lifting my 7' uninsulated door. $168 at lowes.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:40:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just installed it. Quiet and fast.  Lifting my 7' uninsulated door. $168 at lowes.
View Quote

This, but if this model doesn't have the built in battery back up I would upgrade.  That is a nice feature to have when the power goes out.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This, but if this model doesn't have the built in battery back up I would upgrade.  That is a nice feature to have when the power goes out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would just save the money and pull the red T handle...

I had a Chamberlin belt drive at my old house,  maybe 3/4 hp, and it did a fine job of lifting a 17x7 uninsulated.  We have chain drives at work for the large equipment doors, and they work fine.

Mostly I would stay away from the Genie Screw Drives. We have them at our new house and they are loud as hell
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#7]
If money is no object get a Overhead Door’s automatic garage door opener - depends on the type of door and how much room you have overhead.  Residential solutions - Chamberlain works fine.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Chamberlain.....20 years from now you will still be able to get parts for it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#9]
8500 Direct drive Liftmaster.  Mine is great.  It even has a crossbolt lock.  Be sure to adjust your springs and balance your door before installation.  Lube the spring coils and all of the rollers.

https://www.liftmaster.com/For-Homes/Garage-Door-Openers/Elite-Series/model-8500

You can add a battery backup and also run it on solar if you have an unpowered garage.  

Throw in a Garage Door Butler while you are at it. All of this is available on amazon
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Craftsman belt driven with a battery backup.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Chamberlain 1.25HP belt drive opener with a battery backup and WiFi.  It's super quiet, I can elect to get emails every time it opens or closes, and I can control it through my phone.  If the power goes out, it has approx. 3 days of reserve battery power to open and close the door.  I bought it from Home Depot (I think, Lowes has a similar mode for $10 cheaper but it doesn't have the WiFi included).
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

GarageJournal.com

View Quote

Stop right here and get this.  Quiet, takes up very little room, frees up the ceiling for fans or lights. Done.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:12:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Stop right here and get this.  Quiet, takes up very little room, frees up the ceiling for fans or lights. Done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GarageJournal.com

On the other hand, my Craftsman has lights on it, with a motion sensor on the control panel.  It sure is nice to have the lights come on every time I walk into the garage.   Also, I value my wall space much more than ceiling space.  I can't put shelves or hang shovels on the ceiling.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:23:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Liftmaster, and while it has worked with no issues for over ten years, I want to purchase the kit for it to make the garage door open wirelessly from my phone.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

On the other hand, my Craftsman has lights on it, with a motion sensor on the control panel.  It sure is nice to have the lights come on every time I walk into the garage.   Also, I value my wall space much more than ceiling space.  I can't put shelves or hang shovels on the ceiling.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GarageJournal.com

You can totally hang shovels from the ceiling...might bang your head a few times at first, but I'm sure you'll learn quick

Anyways, I can't get a shelf in between the wall and garage door track where the Liftmaster 8500 would sit. It would occupy currently unoccupied space. I'm sure that's the case for many people.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:02:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly what I have. Battery backup was used 3 times, it's great when you need it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

Im going to check this one out tomorrow
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

Do know if this opener would work with this accessory I found

" />

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Had a liftmaster installed w/ my new double door 16 yrs ago, crazy expensive at the time. Lasted 12 yrs. Found a Chamberlain belt drive, looked identical, put it in myself.

Bought a Wayne Dalton once for a single door, biggest POS you could imagine. Couldn't get the down/up travel adjusted for shit, opened it to find the adjustment screw wouldn't engage the shaft for any adjustment. Returned and bought another Chamberlain, worked right.

I'll probably stick with Chamberlain from here on out.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:10:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have an earlier model of this unit.  Never an issue and quiet.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I started my install this morning.....still not done

Instructions, what are they for?

On the other hand, I made a pretty good dent in the box of beer that needed drank
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#23]
My newly installed (myself) Chamberlain HD950WF

My old beast

1985 I think 1/2 hp chain drive

" />

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GarageJournal.com

The 8500 turns on the light when you break the door safety beams and also has a motion sensor on the inside touchpad to turn on the light.  It uses about 6" x 24" wall space.  That is plenty of room to tuck a broom, shovel, and a rake in under it.  FWIW, Chamberlain and Liftmaster are the same company.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a Craftsman belt drive, with Assure Link.  I can open or close it with my phone or computer.  I can see when it was opened or closed, set alarms, etc.  It also has a battery backup.  The only thing I don't like about it is that it's so quite, I can't hear it open from inside the house.  
View Quote

Exact same setup, only thing that makes noise now is the door rollers! Saved our butt in a couple power outages...wife is way to short to be able to open and shut it manually.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top