Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2015 8:05:56 PM EDT
just went into the basement and found a small 2ft diameter puddle around hot water heater which looks to have come from pressure relief valve/pipe. I put a towel into the pipe and it came back wet so that was where the water came from  

I grabbed a bucket and tested the pressure valve which did its job. I noticed a lot of calcium in the water so I flushed it until it was clear. I went to the garage, grabbed a hose, and flushed the tank. For about 30 seconds it came out like black coffee, then light brown, and eventually after a few minutes it was clear.

The thermostat clicked on while I was drying everything up so I went to the kitchen sink and checked the temperature which seemed a little high at around 132F. Early this winter I had to bump it up a couple notches bc the water wasn't getting above warm. I clicked it back down to where it was.

I'm thinking the pressure relief valve was doing its job so I'm suspicious of the thermostat.

Should I be worried? Normal? Thermostat set too high? Omg I'm going to die?
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#1]
seems like you hit the limit of the pressure valve ...   you might need to flush it out more often.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
seems like you hit the limit of the pressure valve ...   you might need to flush it out more often.
View Quote

That's what I suspected. I'm gonna keep an eye on it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 10:08:14 PM EDT
[#3]
They sell new pressure relief valves. They have different sizes so it might be best to remove the old one and take it with you to get the new one
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 12:00:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I doubt the T&P went off due to temp. They dump at 210* and 150psi.

More likely was thermal expansion, and a weakened spring.

When a T&P dumps from over-temp, it DUMPS, a large volume of water until it has cooled down, whereas, when it relieves an overpressure (like that caused by thermal expansion) it will piss out water, until the overpressure is relieved, maybe around a qt. or so.

When the spring weakens enough it will seep water constantly.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 12:15:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the explanation.

I'm going to stop by Home Depot and pick up a new T&P.

I've already been pricing out new HWHs. The Rheem Platinum seems to be getting decent reviews. Ours is pushing 15 years, so I'm trying to be preemptive.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 7:14:23 AM EDT
[#6]
This morning I went down the basement and there is a puddle under the HWH.

At this point I'm thinking its a tank leak. I put a bucket under the pressure relief pipe and drain valve. Both are dry.

I checked the tank and its older than I thought. It appears it was installed in 1998... 17 years seems to be living on borrowed time.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 7:45:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
17 years seems to be living on borrowed time.
View Quote

Yes, replace the tank.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Any suggestions on brand?

Whirlpool at Lowes and Rheem at HD both are around same price/performance/warranty.

I'm waiting for everyone to get showered, then I'll start removing the old one. I plan on going up to a 50gallon tank, replacing the shutoff valve with a ball valve, using flexible braided lines, and replacing the expansion tank as well.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#9]
using flexible braided lines
View Quote

OK for electric, not for gas.
The flue ion gas overheats them in short order.
Gas uses solid copper corrugated flex lines.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Whirlpool at Lowes and Rheem at HD both are around same price/performance/warranty.

I'm waiting for everyone to get showered, then I'll start removing the old one. I plan on going up to a 50gallon tank, replacing the shutoff valve with a ball valve, using flexible braided lines, and replacing the expansion tank as well.  

View Quote

I would use Rheem over Whirlpool.  I installed a Whirlpool electric water heater at my step daughter's house and I went through 2 of them.  I couldn't get the nipples to completely seal.  I believe that the tanks were defective.  I returned both to Lowes and ended up getting one from Home Depot.  The one from HD worked properly the first time.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hmm ok

So something like this wouldn't work? Gas HWH install kit
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:51:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I would also go with the Rheem over the Whirlpool (made by American Water Heaters)

I don't use those kits, but have seen them installed with no problems.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:06:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I got the Rheem. My old one while marked GE was also Rheem and lasted 17 years.

I got all the gas lines hooked up, got the ball valve in place, vent, and lines ready to go. Turn on cold water and I missed about 1/32" of solder when I sweat the supply side of the ball valve.

Of course all this happened after Home Depot had closed for the night. I tried resweating the fitting but no luck. We are currently without any water until 6am.

Oh well, live and learn.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:10:42 AM EDT
[#14]
You have an expansion tank on your water heater, correct? Recently ran into a home that did not and they wondered why their overpressure valve was dripping all the time.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You have an expansion tank on your water heater, correct? Recently ran into a home that did not and they wondered why their overpressure valve was dripping all the time.
View Quote

Yup. It failed at some point in the past 17 years.

Now that I understand how they work and routine maintenance, that shouldn't happen again. Replaced it with a new amtrol ST-5
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Hmm ok

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm ok

Just a stupid idea.
The flue is very likely to cook the hell out of those hoses unless they are kept well away.

Selling products with inappropriate applications is not illegal.
You want solid copper formable lines.
Either type L untempered (soft) tube or the 'corrugated' lines that are designed to be hand formed for small offsets.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I would use Rheem over Whirlpool.  I installed a Whirlpool electric water heater at my step daughter's house and I went through 2 of them.  I couldn't get the nipples to completely seal.  I believe that the tanks were defective.  I returned both to Lowes and ended up getting one from Home Depot.  The one from HD worked properly the first time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a hell of a time getting them to seal on my Rheem tank I replaced a month or two ago.  Buddy came over to help and brought all the tools (I had moved out of the house and he still lives in the neighborhood) including pipe dope.  No matter what we did, it wouldn't seal.  I decided to pack up some more stuff while we waited to see if it was still leaking and found some 20 year old Oatey pipe dope.  When we saw it still leaking, I took it apart, cleaned the threads really well again, and applied the old dope.  Sealed it right up.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Just a stupid idea.
The flue is very likely to cook the hell out of those hoses unless they are kept well away.

Either type L untempered (soft) tube or the 'corrugated' lines that are designed to be hand formed for small offsets.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm ok

Just a stupid idea.

Now you have me worried because my vent doesn't get that hot. The water temps are up at 125F where they belong. While the burner is running, the vent is hot to the touch but the surrounding area isn't.

Should more heat be pumping through? I would think that a more efficient device would throw less heat into the exhaust while maintaining proper water temps. But I could be wrong. Just want to make sure I didn't screw up
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:52:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Now you have me worried because my vent doesn't get that hot. The water temps are up at 125F where they belong. While the burner is running, the vent is hot to the touch but the surrounding area isn't.

Should more heat be pumping through? I would think that a more efficient device would throw less heat into the exhaust while maintaining proper water temps. But I could be wrong. Just want to make sure I didn't screw up
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm ok

Just a stupid idea.

40K btu is 40K btu. You don't want heat anywhere else other than the vent, if there is, its probably not venting. Cup your hands around the ddd (down draft diverter) [between top of w/h and ddd without touching it-while its running] if you can keep them there for longer than 5 seconds, its venting.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Down draft diverter? You mean the little hat?

Yea I can keep my hands there for a while. The vent pipe gets hot to the touch all the way up to the chimney flue where it ties in with the furnace exhaust. From what the other poster was saying about the amount of heat being enough to damage flex pipes, I was expecting it to get hotter.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah the hat, if its venting properly the H/C pipes won't be subjected to any heat damage.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#22]
You must be pretty proud not to be the guy on the radio commercial, "my water heater went out, it took the guy 6 hours to show up, when he did he charged me 100 bucks just to look at it, then $1600 to replace it, I feel like I'd been had. So from now on I'll get Bla Bla home warranty insurance".
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:25:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Whatever you do , do it before April 16 and the new fed regs kick in.

On April 16, the government has new standards when it comes to how efficient water heaters are,
and if homeowners get a new one, they may have to make some extra room.
The new water heaters are 2 to 8 inches taller and 2 to 6 inches wider, depending on the model.
There's also changes in how it can be installed. These new models will also be more expensive.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

On April 16, the government has new standards when it comes to how efficient water heaters are,
The new water heaters are 2 to 8 inches taller and 2 to 6 inches wider, depending on the model.
There's also changes in how it can be installed. These new models will also be more expensive.
View Quote

What a joke, those won't plug and play. If I was somewhere I'd be staying forever, I'd buy a few.
So Natural Gas is Green but not green enough?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 2:42:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What a joke, those won't plug and play. If I was somewhere I'd be staying forever, I'd buy a few.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, if I remember correctly, the new standards require just more insulation on tanks 50 gallon and smaller.  Tanks over 50 gallons will have new features that will prevent them from being plug and play and will cost more to install.  

A 40 gallon propane or NG is usually the right size for the average home.  An electric should normally be at least 50 gallons.  

I'd rather have more insulation because heating that water is expensive.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 2:52:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Bradford White made in the usa. Actually 15 minutes away from where I live. We have put them in a few places and have had no issues in a normal life expectancy.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Actually, if I remember correctly, the new standards require just more insulation on tanks 50 gallon and smaller.  Tanks over 50 gallons will have new features that will prevent them from being plug and play and will cost more to install.  

A 40 gallon propane or NG is usually the right size for the average home.  An electric should normally be at least 50 gallons.  

View Quote

Up here, a 50 gallon is pretty much the standard size.

Along with more insulation, many gas models will require electricity, to run the flue dampers.

I've been told that certain size electric models will end up having to be heat pump units, in order to satisfy the new codes.

I am all for saving money, and using less fuel, but I'd rather have it mandated. I go into too many old homes that will now be a nightmare to change a water heater in.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Bradford White made in the usa. Actually 15 minutes away from where I live. We have put them in a few places and have had no issues in a normal life expectancy.
View Quote

I love Bradford White heaters.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:34:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Along with more insulation, many gas models will require electricity, to run the flue dampers.

I've been told that certain size electric models will end up having to be heat pump units, in order to satisfy the new codes.

I am all for saving money, and using less fuel, but I'd rather have it mandated. I go into too many old homes that will now be a nightmare to change a water heater in.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.bradfordwhite.com/naeca

From the link:

Gas water heaters will require additional insulation, incorporate newer flue baffling technologies (including flue dampers), incorporate electronic ignition in lieu of the standing pilot, or any combination of these. One impact will be an increase in the overall product size, especially in diameter. For gas-fired products over 55 gallons (=75,000 BTU/Hr.), fully condensing combustion technology will most likely be required. This will also mean that line voltage will have to be available as will a means for condensate disposal.

Electric water heaters will require more insulation. This will increase the diameter and/or height of the water heater. Additional insulation may be required for piping and fittings such as drain and T&P valves. Electric water heaters over 55 gallons (=12 kW input) will likely utilize integrated heat pumps to meet the new EF requirements, based on currently available technology.

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:37:08 AM EDT
[#30]
One other thing to look at.

If you have a pressure regulator in the house that reduces street pressure.  They go bad and allow full street pressure to the home.  That may be the cause of overflow if the tank is not leaking.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Your water heater heats already hot water?

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes it does.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:28:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yes it does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it does.

Thank you...

Thermostats are like magnets. No one knows how they work.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can't believe how long it took to get to that! Actually, I have a cold water heater and a hot water heater. Our house uses two 40-gallon water heaters in series. Not sure why it's done that way.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:08:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I can't believe how long it took to get to that! Actually, I have a cold water heater and a hot water heater. Our house uses two 40-gallon water heaters in series. Not sure why it's done that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The "why heat hot water?" joke is played out
About in series, great idea really, as long as the combustion air can support it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:56:31 AM EDT
[#36]
I have two water heaters in series.  The first one is a heat pump type in the garage.  The second one is a standard 50 gallon electric.  In the summer, we saw our electric bill take a nosedive with the heat pump water heater because with the hot engines on vehicles parked in a well insulated garage.....it gets hot in there.  The heat pump water heater uses that free heat to heat the water....and the water heater cools the garage down as a side effect.  Now, in the winter, it does very little for the heat pump water heater.  

So, we have 100 gallons of heated water and our bill went down.  It's pretty nice.  We never run out of hot water.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:08:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Party pooper
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Excellent advice.  Last month I had to replace my gas water heater, as the old one was over 15 years old and could barely make it two showers, before it stopped providing hot water.   I went with a Rheem Platinum NON ENGERY EFFICIENT from Home Depot.  Why the non energy efficient?  For me the big difference was that the energy efficient models REQUIRED an electrical outlet.  If the power goes out, you won't have hot water with the energy efficient models.  That enough was a deal killer for me.  The new one works awesome...actually so well that I had to lower the hot water setting on it to A.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Excellent advice.  Last month I had to replace my gas water heater, as the old one was over 15 years old and could barely make it two showers, before it stopped providing hot water.   I went with a Rheem Platinum NON ENGERY EFFICIENT from Home Depot.  Why the non energy efficient?  For me the big difference was that the energy efficient models REQUIRED an electrical outlet.  If the power goes out, you won't have hot water with the energy efficient models.  That enough was a deal killer for me.  The new one works awesome...actually so well that I had to lower the hot water setting on it to A.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand, the newer more energy efficient models (not including condensing types) only use electricity to operate the igniter and to open the flue damper.  So, they shouldn't use much electricity.  I bet that someone could figure out how to block the damper open and then come up with an alternative method of igniting the burner.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I live in upstate NY. Bought my house in 2012. The hot water tank is a local hardware company (service star) brand, the install date on the label written in marker is 1992!!

Maybe it's time i hurry over to HD and see what they have for tall 40 gallon natural gas water heaters. SIGH...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top