Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2015 4:25:16 AM EDT
I'm used to useing a Miller Thunderbolt 225amp AC stick welder. I moved to a place that doesn't have electric enough for running it. Tried a little POS 110 welder on a generater
I want something BIG! I like running 5/32" rod and welding 3/8" plate in a single pass. I'm looking at Trailblazers and Bobcats. Not sure what I need... don't want to be disapointed.
Keep in mind I only stick weld, so I don't really need the TIG/MIG capabilities of a TrailBlazer.
What all is out there? Anything powerful but economical?

ETA: I'm looking at the Bobcat 225 vs. Ranger 225. I'm concerned that the ranger does not have AC output. Remind me what operations require AC? Don't I need it for welding SS, or cast iron? Got to get out my welding book.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:05:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Google Lincoln SA-250 Pipeliner.

I want one, but can't justify it!

Ray
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#2]
We have 3 bobcat 250s across the company. They do pretty good work, looking at buying a 4th this year.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Lincoln Redface.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:19:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Bobcat or Ranger 10. You might look at an equivalent Hobart, but get something rated at least 250 amps. The lincoln pipeliners are really good at dc welding but lack the ac generator capability. They are really good if you're welding pipe and not so good for alot of other things. And yes, I've owned one. My current welder is a trailblazer, which I highly recommend. You might also look for a heavier welder in like a school auction.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#5]
We have the Trailblazer Airpak with the integrated compressor, probably overkill for what you need, but it is handy to be able to gouge without needing a second machine dragged out to wherever.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:10:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Looking at the Ranger 250 GXT now. $3,899 after $500 rebate.
Have to see what brand the local welding shops sell here.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:57:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I have 2 miller bobcats, they do the job.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#8]
My Ranger 10k has been flawless
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top