Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2015 7:03:49 PM EDT
So my fridge drain (from the freezer floor to the pan) freezes over, and then water runs everywhere.  

I did the youtube fix and wrapped copper wire around the heating element thing at the bottom of the radiator looking thing, and then dropped the other end of the wire into the drain hole.

But the copper wire has frost all over it, and little spikes of ice, which tells me its not getting warm, and I be the drain will be frozen again in a couple of days.

Any other fixes?  Shouldn't that heating element thing be getting warm?  Why in the world is there a heating element inside a freezer anyway?  

I know nothing about how fridges work.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:38:28 AM EDT
[#1]
The heating element should kick on to defrost the evaporator in the freezer every 8-12 hours so it doesn't get iced over.

There is usually a duckbill type piece on the end of the evaporator drain that may be clogged preventing the defrosted water from running down into the catch tray under the freezer.

Any info on the make/model of freezer you have?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#2]
It a Kenmore, standard freezer on top fridge, I'll have to check on the model.  I know the drain is free of obstruction because when I poor boiling water on the back of the freezer floor to clear the ice, it drains like a champ.  Maybe the heating element is no longer working?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Check for frost buildup on the evaporator.

The timers fail almost as often as the heating elements.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.

There is some, but I'd call it very little, frost on the evaporator.  And this morning the copper wire I stuck in the drain was free of ice..... So maybe its working after all?

Is there an easy way to test and heating element and/or timer?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#5]
You may want to check appliance repair .com for your model.

I recently had to address a water on the floor issue with my sisters 2.5 year old GE unit It turns out there is a duckbill rubber piece on the freezer drain right before the water drains into the evaporative pan under the unit. Food bits and such get stuck in the rubber part it gets gummed up  and after time it no longer lets the water from a defrost cycle flow. Water backed up into the freezer section due to drain tube being plugged up. Then She'd get water on her kitchen floor.

GE does make some units for sears so theres a chance you could have a similar issue.

Sister was royally pissed that Ge has a retro fit mend for the duckbill but she was sol on non warranty repair as its only covered for 2 years.  She did complain her way into getting them to send the retrofit kit to her for free. I'll install it the next visit over there.  In researching the unit there were all kinds of complaints on google about the issue.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably needs a new defrost thermostat. Look for a round, short, cylinder clipped to the cooling coil with 2 wires coming out of it. I just had to replace mine. If the heating element shows continuity it's good.
Top Top