Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 11:43:13 PM EDT
As the title says.

Bonnet nut that is holding the cartridge valve in place needs to come off.

Bitch doesn't want to budge.  Been on there for years.

My plan of attack:

1. Spray penetrating oil onto it and let sit overnight.

2.  Heat it up with a hair dryer.

3.  Give it a couple raps with a rubber mallet to try and break loose the threads.

4. Have another go at it with a strap wrench.

Ideas?

Anyone BTDT?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:49:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I had this issue a couple years ago. I advise going slowly - you break that and the whole repair gets a lot more expensive.

Not sure I'd bother with the hair dryer. Mine had a hex end and I used the right sized wrench.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:49:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I had to take the handle off first.  Then there is a brass ring and a special wrench to remove first. I tapped with a small chisel.  Then the outter metal chrome ring screws off. And guts come out.

I put a pipe wrench on the first one I did before I found out about the brass retainer nut.  Big hole in the wall and broken pipes was a lesson.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:56:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I got the handle off and on this one (brand = Delta) there is no set screw or anything else that is holding the bonnet nut.  I checked that carefully.

The outer circumference of the nut has "grabby" serrations for a strap wrench, but no hex lugs.

Bitch of a design.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:04:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I see the official method is a strap wrench, and thankfully he shows it going CCW. I was worried it would be reverse threaded for some horrible reason.

It's only supposed to be hand tight. Huh.

He also suggests using channel locks - which I would have figured is a no-no, but I see it's flimsy metal attached to fairly stout brass.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#5]
End of the story?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Had to put project on hold until next weekend due to time constraints.

Delta Faucet's customer service people got back to me with the exact part number I need though.

Thanks for the info & video links.

Will update this weekend.

6w2.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Just an FYI...the cartridges on Delta Faucets carry a "warrantied for life" provision.  When mine went out at 10 years, I bought another one (about $40) and called them.
They sent me another one for FREE.

That was about 3 years ago.  YMMV
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:12:27 PM EDT
[#8]
UPDATE:

Project complete.

Success!

Thanks again for advice from all.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:12:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Speaking of this ... Can I retrofit my new Delta shower faucets with larger orifice cartridges to get more flow?  Or am I just imagining this is possible?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Last I heard flow restriction was in the aerator or shower head aerator.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top