Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2014 9:08:47 PM EDT
Holes in the top for holdfasts and bench dogs. I want to make a plane stop so I bought 3/4" dowels to use as pegs. My new 3/4" dowels are larger than my 3/4" holes. How do I reduce the diameter of the dowel while maintaining(ish) the roundness of the dowel.

I don't have a lathe.

Do I just wrap sandpaper around it and give it the old stroke motion

And hope nobody sees me.

Or is there a better way?

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Drive a nail through a board.  Clamp it to your bench so the point of the nail is sticking up.  Pre-drill a hole and insert a screw into one end of your dowell.  Now chuck that screw into your cordless drill.  Put the other end of the dowell onto the nail point.  Turn on the drill while holding a piece of sandpaper against the dowell with the other hand.

Poor mans lathe

You know you could just buy real bench dogs right?  You'll be happier. Trust me.

Woodcraft
Rockler
Lee Valley.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:28:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I have bench dogs, I was looking at these

And thought they wouldn't be too difficult to make out of wood.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#3]
piece of scrap wood and a pair of holdfasts is what I would use for that

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're going to make that kind of planing stop (like the veritas), the dogs don't need to be super snug.  Otherwise they will be hard to remove.  
I wouldn't doubt the dowels are some mm dia instead of inches since like everything else just about they are made in china.   Just sand a little like you said and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:18:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy a Forstner bit in the proper size for the dowels you bought (which are probably metric) and re-drill.

Buy dowels in a size that fits your holes.  If the dowels have a thin cap on them, they will not fall thru even though they are smaller than the hole.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:11:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Hopefully this link works.  They show making the planing stop like you referenced, uses a piece of c-channel stock as the fence.
http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2014/12/25/?utm_source=WoodsmithTips&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=8918
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:02:32 AM EDT
[#7]
you sure they aren't 5/8ths holes?
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:33:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Nah, the Sjobergs website says the holes are 3/4" and that the benchdogs and holdfasts are 3/4".

Ever since I learned that 2x4's weren't 2x4 this stuff doesn't surprise me, you just have to learn how to work around it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top