Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2014 8:41:27 AM EDT
I've got an old Colt lawn tractor I use for plowing snow. It hasn't run in a couple years. I took the carb apart and soaked it, it was varnished pretty bad. Put it back together,  and when I start it up now, gas just pours out of the carb. It's a Carter type N carb. Could this be an incorrect float height? The gas doesn't just dribble out,  it pours. At least I know the fuel pump is working!

I also cleaned out the gas tank and changed the line. Could some dirt I missed be holding the needle valve open also? Thanks for any help!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:45:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Rebuild the carb, especially the needle and seat. Float doesn't do jack if the fuel leaks by the needle.

If you didn't adjust the tab on the float and it's dry inside, the float is probably fine as it the level.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#2]
You have a dirty, worn or stuck needle and seat. Sometimes they can be cleaned and put back in service.

Pro tip: Take a screwdriver and whack the bowl with the handle a few times. If it's just stuck or has a small piece of dirt caught in it, this may free it up.

Caution: if its real dirty, this may stop the leak only until you run it and the float opens again whereupon it will start leaking again.

Still, the best fix is remove it an clean/replace it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:16:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Or needle not sealing properly.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#5]
A rebuild kit is on the way. Hopefully that does it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Got too much gas in the carb!

Seriously though, try Seafoam, I was a skeptic until I tried it in desperation one time. that shit is amazing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got too much gas in the carb!

Seriously though, try Seafoam, I was a skeptic until I tried it in desperation one time. that shit is amazing.
View Quote

Seafoam will clean minor deposits because of the alcohol content but won't do anything to fix mechanical problems.  Won't help anything in this case.  

OP: As mentioned, you need to replace the needle and possibly the seat (depends on what type it uses).  If the rubber is on the needle tip, then you only have to replace the needle.  

Also, check the float.  Take it off and shake it.  If you hear liquid in it (they develop pin holes sometimes and fill up with gas), then it needs to be replaced as well.

Further, check to make sure you assembled it correctly.  If it worked properly before and now doesn't, you might have put it together wrong.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Success!  Put in the new seat and needle valve, starts right up and runs great. 50 year old tractor purrs like a kitten. Bring on the snow!

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Success!  Put in the new seat and needle valve, starts right up and runs great. 50 year old tractor purrs like a kitten. Bring on the snow!

Thanks for the help!
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top