Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2014 8:36:36 PM EDT
I need 220v 50amp outlet for a welder and a plasma cutter.

I have VERY minor experience with electricity.

the side door to my attached garage has a car port next to it running perpendicular to my house, on the other side of the car port is a large shed (20x40) where I do most of my work.

not sure if i should put the outlet on the inside of my garage, on the outside of the wall, or run a hardline to the shed. most of my hot work will most likely be done under the carport or tigging in the shed.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Put it where you need it the most or you will be kicking yourself later for it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:25:35 PM EDT
[#2]
To be safe, you may need to run things in conduit. Check hometown and see if anyone is close that can help.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To be safe, you may need to run things in conduit. Check hometown and see if anyone is close that can help.
View Quote

There are multiple type of conduit.
Some better for burial then others.

Required depth depends on conduit type also.

If the shed is NOT attached to the house you can only have one circuit running to it without adding a sub-panel.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#4]
looks like I might just put it under the soffit on the outside wall (people can walk under it), I can run an extension cord along the car port to work under it and in the shed if I need to, then just roll it up at the end of the day. I already have some 120 run to the shed so...

I was thinking having steel conduit run like an L from the box up inside the wall to an outlet box facing outwards.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are wiling to take the effort, rigid metal conduit (think steel pipe) only has a 6 inch cover requirement.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Run it where you need it. Do it right the first time.

Conduit is easy

UF is easier
You can use UF (direct burial)

At 50a you need 6 gauge minimum. How far away is the shed?

You have minimal electrical experience. Get some help. This isn't the project you want to fake it on.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#7]
its about 25-30ft from the house. I already have conduit run with 120 out there and water next to it. If i run a new line I would have to trench through a concrete slab. ( the entire area between the two is concrete)

I dont mind running an extension cord to where I need it and just rolling it up when Im done. (its what im used to anyways)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top