Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2014 1:46:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I built a in the wall electronics center and I called to see how much a 21 3/8 x 24" piece of glass would cost. I got quoted 65$/ piece. Holy shit! I was thinking 100$ or less for 4 shelves....

I might have to make the shelves out of wood..
View Quote

I haven't bought glass in a long time, but holy crap that seems expensive. I've had custom picture frames made including the glass for a lot less than that... I would do some more checking.

You say you "called". Who did you call? A dedicated glass shop? A local handy-man? A lumber-yard that does custom cuts of glass? Was that just for cut glass or was that cut/bevelled/etc? Was that tempered glass or regular glass?

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, that is pretty high, you should shop around. What part of MT you in?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its a dedicated glass shop thats been around for years. I think it was tempered 1/4"
View Quote

Tempered is why it was so much.  Shelves= cut to size, polish edges, then send out to temper.  Lot of dicking around compared to just cutting from a stock sheet and giving the edges a quick grind.  Tempered is safer though.

Hell, I paid 65$ for a 9 x 20 x 3/8" bronze glass with polished edges last year.  Non tempered.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#7]
If you don't have kids, I'd get non-tempered.  Much, much cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Could it be the custom size that raised the price?

Are there standard sizes available which you could design to fit that would be less expensive?

Is it because of poor utilization of the sheet they are being cut from.  Again, this could require redesign of the shelf size but could reduce price.

How about non-tempered with that plastic shatter-proofing film applied to the outside?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:02:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No kids. They were worried the span was enough to require tempered.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Basically 2ft x 2ft and 1/4" thick?  Unless you're planning on putting something very heavy in the dead center, I would think you'd be fine.  Buy a piece and try it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:46:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Only thing that I am putting on it are one electronic device per shelf. Heaviest is a stereo receiver, and its pretty light.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Basically 2ft x 2ft and 1/4" thick?  Unless you're planning on putting something very heavy in the dead center, I would think you'd be fine.  Buy a piece and try it.

Only thing that I am putting on it are one electronic device per shelf. Heaviest is a stereo receiver, and its pretty light.

With no kids and that is all you're doing I'd go non-tempered. It will (should) be an order of magnitude cheaper.

If you're worried about a mess if it breaks then do as said and put the film stuff on it (it will at least hold the pieces together if it gets broken).
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Tempered is why it was so much.  Shelves= cut to size, polish edges, then send out to temper.  Lot of dicking around compared to just cutting from a stock sheet and giving the edges a quick grind.  Tempered is safer though.

Hell, I paid 65$ for a 9 x 20 x 3/8" bronze glass with polished edges last year.  Non tempered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its a dedicated glass shop thats been around for years. I think it was tempered 1/4"

Tempered glass is a different animal. Mom has some old recessed lighting at her house that had frosted tempered glass panes. I wanted to replace them with clear glass but the cost of tempered glass was prohibitive. I replaced them with clear acrylic. Works well for that application and much cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought a piece of 1/2" thick tempered glass shelving that was pre-cut and had pre-polished edges*.  Size was approximately 8" x 18".  It was only a couple of dollars (<$5).

Go to Lowes, Home Depot or OSH and look at their glass shelves.  You may be able to piece something together for $65 total.

* I use the glass plate to sharpen chisel and plane blades.  I hold the sheet of fine grit sand paper.  Glass is extremely flat and in 1/2" thickness, it's extremely stiff, too.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#16]
What about 3/4" plexiglass?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:02:49 PM EDT
[#19]
You're not only paying for the glass, but glass shelves need the edges polished. Tempered glass isn't the easiest to work with either.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You're not only paying for the glass, but glass shelves need the edges polished. Tempered glass isn't the easiest to work with either.
View Quote

All those reasons and why are you going 1/4" ?  Try shooting for 3/16". should be plenty for that span if supported on all three sides properly. Also shop around.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I bought a piece of 1/2" thick tempered glass shelving that was pre-cut and had pre-polished edges*.  Size was approximately 8" x 18".  It was only a couple of dollars (<$5).

Go to Lowes, Home Depot or OSH and look at their glass shelves.  You may be able to piece something together for $65 total.

* I use the glass plate to sharpen chisel and plane blades.  I hold the sheet of fine grit sand paper.  Glass is extremely flat and in 1/2" thickness, it's extremely stiff, too.
View Quote

With few exceptions, just about *all* tempered glass is pre-cut because it has to be cut before tempering. Custom-sized tempered glass is quite pricey.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Check online
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Got a Hobby Lobby in your area?  I've seen glass shelving there too.

I'm about to start building a display case for my models I build that is going to be 8' wide, 7' tall and 2' deep. Glass is going to kill me!  having sliding glass doors installed and they will be tempered.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:50:34 AM EDT
[#25]
You don't need it tempered

you don't need a film on it

unless you overload the shit out of them, they should easily hold the weight of your components

4 shelves of the size you mentioned  should be in the ballpark of what you originally thought

tempered is what made the price so high
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:37:33 PM EDT
[#27]
1/4" plate non-tempered will work just fine. I do this all day long. We get 100"x72" sheets and cut them to size. Our cost is $1.50sq/ft. We charge around $8 sq/ft which covers cutting it. That does not include polishing the edges. I believe that is running about $2/ft right now. You only need 1 side polished. We have piles of scrap glass that we could cut those sizes from so it would be about $5sq/ft. I know you're far away but just giving an idea. Also I work at a specialized stained glass studio so our prices are a bit higher than a random glass/window shop
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:38:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top