Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2014 1:12:59 PM EDT
Two questions about my elderly unit....

When the A/C kicks on...the inside units makes a lot of noise that would similar to hearing water running through your inside pipes as it travels to a hose running outside. That high pitched sound, if you know what I mean... Never seemed abnormal because it didn't last long but now it seems to make that noise for a long time after it starts. Is this a warning or normal?

Second, had to replace a capacitor last year b/c the fan was not kicking on with the outside unit. Do those capacitors just quit and that is it or can than go in and out as they "Go Bad"? I came home last night and heard the compressor going but no fan. Went outside and couldn't get the fan to start spinning, then as I walked away, it started....like maybe a thermostat finally initiated the fan....  Anyway, been keeping and on it this morning. Seemed to be working fine when I got up. So, I just turned it on again and again, no fan. Had to go out and give it a nudge to get it started.

Might as well ask about A/C brands while I'm at it. Neighbor has a Trane that is only about 4 years old, it went down for 5 days b/c of a coolant leak that took them a few days to fix (new coils)... What units are GTG and what brands are the Hesse of the AC world?

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:01:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of what you're saying points to a faulty capacitor for the outdoor fan or failing outdoor fan bearings.  If you have a basic electrical meter and google fu skills you can test the capacitor.  You can also take the top off the A/C and see if there is any play in the motor bearings.  Obviously turn it off at the breaker first.  As far as brands go, if you're looking to replace the system, I would stick with American Standard or Trane.  We install American Standard with is exactly the same thing as Trane.  Rheem also rates highly.  Quality of install is just as important as equipment choice.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:50:18 AM EDT
[#3]
yep, sounding like capacitor again...

I can do straight ac down here
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:30:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:33:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Do an AMP draw on the fan motor also and compare that against the manf. specs.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I disagree with the capacitor theory. Typically when a cap goes bad you don't have intermittent pass/fail, they fail and stay failed.

What your describing sounds like a heatpump kicking into defrost mode, most likely time initiated.

I could also be way off base. Any chance you could post a picture of the unit model/serial number tag on the outdoor condensing unit?

Do you have a electrical meter that will read MFD?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree with the capacitor theory. Typically when a cap goes bad you don't have intermittent pass/fail, they fail and stay failed.

What your describing sounds like a heatpump kicking into defrost mode, most likely time initiated.

I could also be way off base. Any chance you could post a picture of the unit model/serial number tag on the outdoor condensing unit?

I doubt its a defrost mode because I can push the fan and get it to start running. Same thing that happened last year when the capacitor went bye bye.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do an AMP draw on the fan motor also and compare that against the manf. specs.
View Quote

Fan motor is not even 4 years old..as above, I'm kind of leaning towards the capacitor. Capacitor cost me a whopping $3 last year so it will be worth it to replace it and see what happens.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Oh, I'm read it as you COULDN'T get the fan to run (tried spinning it) and as you walked away it ran fine.

If you got it going from spinning it, then I agree the cap is weak.

The loud noises you are hearing from the refrigerant lineset is the ultra high refrigerant pressures from the lack of a condenser fan to cool the hot gas.

Get the fan running and the noise should go away.

Whatever MFD your cap is rated for (ex. 7.5mfd@370vac) get the same MFD but at 440vac, they are built a little tougher.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt its a defrost mode because I can push the fan and get it to start running. Same thing that happened last year when the capacitor went bye bye.

Oh, I'm read it as you COULDN'T get the fan to run (tried spinning it) and as you walked away it ran fine.

If you got it going from spinning it, then I agree the cap is weak.

The loud noises you are hearing from the refrigerant lineset is the ultra high refrigerant pressures from the lack of a condenser fan to cool the hot gas.

Get the fan running and the noise should go away.

Whatever MFD your cap is rated for (ex. 7.5mfd@370vac) get the same MFD but at 440vac, they are built a little tougher.

Cool....you are confirming what the unit is doing. I bought a new cap yesterday guess I'll go ahead and throw it in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top