Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2014 3:02:08 AM EDT
Ever since I can remember, the hot water is very inconsistant in this house, even after a new heater.
Always takes a little bit before it gets hot, can range from warm to too hot.
Also, when run the washer that is set on cold/cold, the hot water side at the faucets will have a weak stream.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:37:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Not a plumber but I bet you have at least one single handle faucet in the house.
The cartrage can start crossing water from on side to the other. Try shutting off one sink at a time at the valve(Hot or cold doesnt matter) to isolate.
If you have a Moen faucet start with that one first.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:45:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a plumber but I bet you have at least one single handle faucet in the house.
The cartrage can start crossing water from on side to the other. Try shutting off one sink at a time at the valve(Hot or cold doesnt matter) to isolate.
View Quote

Can a double handle faucet cause it?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:04:53 AM EDT
[#3]
DO YOU HAVE A TEMPERING VALVE ON THE WATER HEATER HW OUT?  If the valve goes bad it can fluctuate the amount of cold into your hot line.>

Sediment or mineral deposits/build up can restrict a water line.of clog up a valve.

Lime or scale buildup on the elements in the water heater can cause different temperature variations as well.( I know its new)
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:10:31 AM EDT
[#4]
No, this issue is unique to single handle faucets and bath fixtures that bypass internally.
Do you have a hot water recirculation pump to keep hot water readly availible at a far away faucet?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not normally on a double handle but if you had a triple handle like found in some third world countries it can happen if the hot & cold valves are left open but the primary is closed... I doubt you have that though...
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Also, check to see if the water in the toilet tank is warm or hot.  The diaphragm in temperature compensating shower valves can break, causing hot water to flow into the cold water pipes.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#7]
You could have several separate problems.

Low flow: check that valve is open. Pull strainer out of washer end of hose and clean. Check strainer where hot hooks onto washer and clean.

Variable heat- bad tempering valve. Exposed piping (not individually wrapped)

Have you drained sediment in tank?

Are both heating elements working?

Tank undersized for use?

Tank insulated?

Shawn
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Backflow from water heater into cold water?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top