Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2014 7:23:54 PM EDT
I'm looking at installing wood flooring on a second story loft and there's an area around the stairwell with a curve.  What's the best way to cut an inside curve on the planks?

I thought of a jig saw but thinking the ends will splinter as it cuts. I would be using a laminated wood flooring, if it was solid I don't think it would be likely to splinter.
I also thought of just cutting a slant and working it around the curve but I wanted it to fit as close to the curve as possible.

I want to get a tight fit because there's no way to put a molding on it to cover the gap around the curve unless someone has other ideas of how to do this.  

A friend suggested putting several planks together and then cutting the curve with template matching the curve but what to use to get a nice clean cut? My friend and I did the bottom floor so I've done wood flooring before but the curve is vexing me.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can make a template, a router would work with a straight bit. That being said I'd just scribe it, score it with a knife and the use a good jig saw to cut it out. There are tricks you could do using a belt sander too, but I'm not endorsing anything like that
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Fine-toothed blade, and cut from the rear.  They may make special blades for laminate, I just used a general-purpose fine-toothed blade when I did mine, and had no trouble.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#3]
how to get a curve in wood
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#4]
A coping saw?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:16:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I would clamp a board on top of the finish piece with the layout line on the top piece.  Cut through both boards at the same time.  Use a coping saw or a jig saw, doesn't matter.  The top board supporting the finish piece should eliminate 99% of tear-out.
Or....cut through the top laminate layer with a utility knife, along the layout line.  Then cut about 1/16 away from that with a jig or coping saw.  Pre-cutting the laminate layer will make it impossible for it to splinter.  Sand any rough edges.

ETA - Personally, I would rough cut it, then finish it with a disk sander.  That would be quickest + easiest. 60 grit will work very fast, even on end-grain...and leave a decent enough finished edge.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:51:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Does the OP have a band saw and a "rubber ruler"?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Put masking tape on the piece you want to cut, mark your cut, use a fine tooth blade in a GOOD Jigsaw.
Done it this way for years, always turns out great.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#8]
When I have to make pieces like that I make a duplicate piece out of MDF first.  Then I use my MDF piece to mark my final cut piece.  Take your final cut piece and cut close to the line you just made.  (1/8" or so).  With some double sided tape, attach your MDF piece to your actual piece.  Now using a router with a straight bearing bit (so the bearing rides along your MDF piece), route your final piece.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Jig saw, finished surface DOWN.
The saw cuts on the up stroke.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top