Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2014 1:33:51 AM EDT
So I finally got around to hooking up a filter/water separator to my air compressor setup, in addition to a second regulator to have more accurate pressure control closer to the actual hose (the one that came with the compressor itself is garbage). So far so good, it works very well. I'm running a 1/2" size SMC filter/water separator, Bellofram T70 regulator, and a SS Wika liquid filled gauge. A little overkill for the home shop, but I figured I wouldn't ever have to replace this setup again (except maybe the filter/water separator).

Anyways, since this is my first time formally setting up a filter & regulator for air lines, I wanted to check and see if there was a minimum distance of straight pipe/hose coming into and out of the setup? The reason why I ask is that I'm planning on adding some 90 degree elbows to help manage the lines (1/2" lines aren't the most flexible), and I'm concerned that if the 90 degree elbow is too close it will keep the flow & pressure from being at optimum levels (maybe it would cause the regulator to malfunction?). I'm thinking of adding a few inches of straight brass piping on the inlet and outlet side of setup, to alleviate any potential problems.

What does the have say?

Also, pics from right after I put it together. The red hose is 50ft of Goodyear 1/2" size, on a Lisle reel. The reel will be getting replaced before winter hits, its starting to leak and the 1/4" connection is restricting flow and hampering performance anyways.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:43:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 3:01:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Every 90 deg fitting is equal to 10' of run for resistance to flow. If you can use 45's
Ideally for a water separator you want 25' of run so that the air has time to cool down and let the water condense out
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#3]
The separator will only separate a solid liquid like oil or water. Atmospheric air has moisture and when you compress it you are also compressing the moisture. Since we all know you can't compress water the moisture condensates into water. The supply lines do more than move the air, they also allow the condensate to cool and separate from the compressed air. The compressed air in the compressor will do the same thing. As it cools the moisture pools at the bottom of the tank, which is why you also drain your tank regularly. You do drain your tank right?

Bottom line is this, you don't have enough line, to allow any of the air to cool so my guess is your separator won't have time to pull any moisture from the compressed air. You probably aren't painting any cars with it but even air tools will feel the effects of moist air, as in rust. Best bet for a compact setup is probably a small desiccant dryer.

Finally, since the air will more than likely still have a bit of moisture in it with your current setup, the loop of rubber hose where it supplies the reel is a perfect low spot for water to pool. Eventually you will be fill that loop up with water and you'll be blowing air right through it. All air lines should run on a slope to compensate for the moisture and give it a place to flow to, usually back to the compressor.

If it's just for airing tires and basketballs you will be fine but remember air tools hate moisture.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Thanks a bunch! That's exactly what I was looking for!

Top Top