Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2014 1:55:28 PM EDT
My wife and I made the move in May of 2013 from the suburbs to the country. We wanted to get back to our roots of rural living, and felt it would be a better atmosphere to raise our family. In the early part of 2014 my wife and I decided we wanted to raise chickens for eggs. With two growing kids, and a wife who loves to bake, our household was going through a lot of eggs. We recognized that having our own chickens probably wouldn't be a cost saver, but we knew the quality would be much better and healthier for us. We live in the country on an eight acre partially wooded lot buttressed up against a few hundred acres of corn fields (owned by a local farmer). The local feed store would be getting day-old chicks in early April, so we placed our order for eight birds (four Rhode Island Reds and four Americaunas) and broke ground on the coop build project in late March.

I've got no formal carpentry or construction training, nor have I ever worked in the trades (I'm a former paramedic; desk jockey for past decade). I just recently began taking an interest in carpentry as a hobby and have only built a few small items (garage work bench, boot rack, cat scratching post, etc.). I've also got no nearby family that could help, teach, or mentor me in "guy" stuff, so everything I learned was self taught via trial and error (and watching a ton of YouTube videos). So, if you see something I did in my build that makes you cringe, just be aware this was in no way built "to spec" or "to code" and a lot of the time I just did what I felt was the right way to build it.

First order of business - select a location for the future coop. This was a nice spot situated on the backside of our barn by the corral. It is very close to level, gently sloping away from the barn. Since I was planning on moving my firewood pile out of the barn, and had to do some brush clearing anyway, I spent a little more time with the chainsaw and cleared a nice spot for firewood.

Next up, lets build a foundation! Initially I had planned to sink posts into the ground, until I found out how far down our frost line is. Not wanting to rent an auger and have to dig holes to China, I opted to use deck piers as the foundation. This had an added bonus because the structure technically wouldn't be considered a permanent building (not that zoning laws and stuff really matter where I live). I dug down 3-4 inches past the loose top soil, tamped down the dirt, and filled in with gravel for drainage. Here was one of my infrequent helpers showing me the "pretty" rock she just pulled from the gravel under the deck piers.

Once the deck piers were in I made sure everything was square and level and added or removed gravel as necessary.

A big part of my project was trying to keep costs down by using any materials I had on hand. Here is the base structure: treated 4"x4" posts for the corners (running all the way up to the roof) and treated 8'x2"x8" boards for the joists/etc. I had to purchase the posts, but I re-purposed the 2"x8"s from a platform I had built a year prior for hay storage (turned out it didn't provide sufficient ventilation for our winter hay so we went with pallets this year). Everything was squared and leveled, and then it started to rain (rain delays will be a reoccurring theme in this build, at one point I considered quitting work on the coop and starting work on an Ark). The coop measures 8'x8' square from outside edge to outside edge.

April 8th arrived and so did our baby chicks! Awe, aren't they just adorable! we kept them in a plastic storage tub in the basement.

The rain was relentless this spring, so I prefabricated as much as I could in my garage or barn (here you can see I'm using the second of the hay platforms I had built last year as a place to assemble my wall frame - that platform would later be disassembled and the materials used in the coop). Although the outside dimension of the coop were 8'x8', the walls were not 8' long because they had to fit between the two corner posts. This threw my math off slightly when I tried to set studs at 16" on center.

I wanted decent size windows for ample ventilation and light, and priced out new and used windows of all sorts, but couldn't find anything for much under $50-$75/window. Solution? Build my own windows! I ripped some 2"x4"s down to 1.5"x1.5" and built a window frame using a tongue and groove joint (I think) and a dowel for added strength. Edited to add - in retrospect I probably would have just bought windows. Building these was very, vrey time consuming.

Next I added the grids which were also 2"x4"I had ripped down to size and fitted into notches.

All three widows built, glued, and ready for sanding, painting, and installation of glass! There are no screws or nails used to make these window frames, just joinery, dowels, and wood glue. They are rock solid and sturdy.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:55:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Eventually it stopped raining and I could get out and work on the coop structure. I laid down the 3/4" plywood flooring. The plywood was re-purposed wood that was on the hay platform and was still in great shape. In this picture you can also see I secured the base to the posts via four carriage bolts on each corner. Also, when I initially started on this project I didn't own a framing nail gun and thought (to save money) I would hand nail everything. That utopian idea lasted about five minutes into the build and I ran to the store and purchased a framing nail gun. It was indispensable, especially since I often didn't have anyone helping me about 90% of the time.

After more time off from the project due to rain I got all four walls up! Felt like such an accomplishment at this point. While the floor structure and posts are treated wood, the walls are just non-treated construction lumber 2"x4"s. All four sides have a window, but the front window next to the door is fixed (doesn'tt open or close).

At this point I was getting tired of climbing up and down the platform, so I opted to build the entryway deck and stairs. Again I was able to re-purpose wood. The 4"x4" posts are the tops that were cut off the coops main corner posts. And the joists were more 2"x8"s from a hay platform. I attached it to the coop via carriage bolts, and attached the entryway platform to the posts via carriage bolts.

To finish the stairs I built stringers out of treated 2"x12"s I bought. For some reason my brain really struggled with the concept of making these, but eventually I got all the angles right. The steps were leftover treated 2"x6"s scraps we had when we replaced some of the corral fence rails. I also got up the outside plywood. Since I had some 3/4" plywood sheets from those hay platforms, that is what I used (though I didn't have enough so I did end up buying some). More rain.

I installed the roof's main beam. I waffled between different roof constructions, designs, but eventually went with a gabled roof.

Since it was raining, again, I decided to finish my windows. I ripped down some wood scraps and custom made the little wood strips (whatever they are called) that hold in the glass. Here they are being glued in.

While the glue dried on the windows, I made some sills. I used a little joinery here (rabbeted edges for strength), but mostly wood glue and a finishing nail gun I borrowed from my wife's uncle.

While I had originally planned to use glass, once I found out how expensive it is I switched to plexiglass, which is really cheap. Here I'm cutting he plexiglass to size.

This is the only metal in my windows, the little tack-like things (forgot what they are called) that hold the glass snug in place.

Just one more tack and the first square of the first window is done!

One window plexiglass installed, two to go (actually three, forgot to build the small fixed front window which I did later). Once all the plexiglass was installed, and the protective sheeting peeled off, I used that window putty stuff to seal the edges around the plexiglass. By the way, notice how much the environment has hanged since the first picture (green grass, leaves on trees)? By now its probably May (and still raining all the time).
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Those cute little fluffy chicks were now teenagers, and had long outgrown the plastic tub in the basement (I had actually built a larger brooder, which they also outgrew). So now they are in our barn, pooping everywhere. But the rain was unrelenting, and between work and other duties I could only work so fast. I measured and cut the rafters, which were made from 2"x6"s.

Rafters are up! Even though we don't get a lot of wind where we live, I used hurricane ties to secure the outside ends of the rafters. I tried initially just nailing them down, but I didn't like how flimsy it felt and a lot of the wood split. The brackets held the rafters in place well. BTW, the wife took this pic, that is me on the left drinking a beer she brought me. At this point I was sick of the rain and having to tarp the coop every night and just wanted to get the roof done. But because we had more rain in the forecast for the entire week, I did whatever else I could in between storms, like adding a nesting box!

The nesting box was actually an after thought. I wasn't planning on doing one but every post on Backyardchickens.com I read about chicken coops said they are a must have. So, I had some scrap plywood, why not lets add one.

Even though the box felt secure with just the plywood, I added some 2"x4" scrap bracing for extra strength in two locations inside the nesting box.

Add a top, and the nesting box is on its way to being done.

I finally got a few days break from rain, so it was time to roof. I finished the roof structure, added the roofing paper, and spent a hot muggy day installing asphalt shingles. I got the architectural shingles and roofing paper (new stuff, still in the wrapping) from the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store for $30. It was just enough to do the roof (and eventually top of nesting box). I didn't have a roofing nail gun, so I had nailed all the shingles.

Roof is done!

I was really on the wall about insulating and adding electricity, but eventually I figured it was easier to install the stuff now than find out later I wanted it and need to do it then. I only insulated the walls with some low-end insulation to help with cold/wind penetration. The insulation was cheap so I figured "why not!" For wiring, added two electrical outlets on each side, plus a light at top, and I added a motion security light on the back outside.

At this point I wanted to get the doors and windows installed so it would be weather proof. Was still raining multiple times per week. makeshift door installed.

Windows on! Originally the window hinges would be inside between the sill and window, but I mis-measured and my window width was slightly too wide, so I just put the hinges on the outside.

Front window installed! I also added some inside plywood sheeting (thin stuff, don't recall its width) and painted the interior (white).
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#3]
More rain delays, so I made some feeders using food-grade buckets we had leftover from horse supplement, and about $10 in PVC elbow joints. Got the idea for the feeders off the internet.

Next order of business, installing venting on both sides.

Time for siding! Here are the corner pieces. siding was probably one of the biggest (single) expenses. I went with the low-end vinyl stuff and for the siding, corner joints, and u-joints I probably paid $250.

Raining aaaaaagain. So I decided to build a poop tray. Got this idea off the net and while I was pessimistic about what it's supposed to do I am now a firm believer in them. Would never build a coop without one. I built this out of some 2"x4" and other assorted pieces of scrap wood.

Before installing the poop tray I applied this roofing/flooring material called Blackjack #57 (I think). Its basically like paint on linoleum and (supposedly) makes it easy when you clean out the coop in the spring. It was around $45/ bucket and I used about 3/4 of it. Also, no, your eyes aren't playing tricks on you. Those openings for the nesting boxes are not the same width. That is an artifact of my bad wall frame measures when I tried to do 16" on center but messed up.

Installed all the siding J-channels, and we got up the first outside wall!! Light at the end of the tunnel is visible, if just barely.

Got two sides of siding done, and realized I need to install a poop door for the chickens to exit into what will eventually be the run. Poop door frame and installed! I didn't initially plan on installing plywood soffets (was just going to leave exposed rafter ends), but the wasps and yellow jackets were drawn to the eaves like flies to poop. So I needed to install something to keep them out. Used left over plywood scraps from the roof. i also built a poop door out of scrap plywood. I made some runners that is slides into vertically, and attached a rope to a pulley so my kids can easily open and close it.

Three sides sided! My helper for the siding part of this project (no way I could have done it myself).

More rain. So I'm doing what I can inside, like installing the poop tray! It is level and squared, that warping is just an optical illusion.

Front door almost done. It's a 2"x4" frame, with plywood on the inside and outside, and insulation in the middle. It weighs a metric ton, and a bear would probably give up if he tried to tear through it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#4]
It was time to start work on the run. Initially I was only going to have a 16' run (8' under the coop and 8' extending from the rear of the coop). But since I had mistakenly bought 7'x 2"x4"s and didn't want to take them back, or shorten my run, I opted to just make a 22' run (8' under the coop and 14' extending from the rear of the coop). I'm glad we did this because it gives the chickens a nice shaded area (under the coop), and a nice large open area. Since I was out of treated 4"x4" posts I re-purposed some of the 8'x2"x8" treated lumber I had left over from a hay platform and fabricated my own posts by ripping and laminating them. They got sunk into the ground 24" with 4"-6" of gravel under the end, and more gravel around the bottom in the dirt to help with drainage.

Run posts installed!

I had always planned to sink my run's enclosure hardware cloth into the ground to prevent predators from digging into the run, so I hand dug the trenches down 10" all around. In hindsight I should have pre-dug these trenches under the coop when it was just a base, because trying to do it now will a full coop building standing was hard (I had to dig with a hand trowel while lying on my side under the coop, it wasn't fun).

Run's frame is done!

Lets add some hardware cloth! This was extremely tedious, by the way.

Added a door, and built a ramp for the chickens to walk up to the coop.

And the run is done!

For roosts, I cut down a cedar tree (main roost bar) and a poplar tree (corner bars) and made roosts.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Coming down the final stretch, time to make some nesting box inserts! This was an idea I got off the net; using old kitty litter containers. They are easy to clean since they are plastic, and eventually you can just toss em out and make new ones (inexpensive if you own already have cats or neighbor/relative that does).

Nesting box inserts installed!

My wife added some cheapo Wal-Mart curtains because the chickens wouldn't roost on the main roosting bar because they felt too exposed with the windows on all four walls. The curtains did the trick!

Food buckets, and waterer installed inside the coop. You can also see the pine shavings we use as floor litter/insulation. With the poop tray installed there is almost no chicken feces/waste material that hits the floor.

I finished the trim on the front door and got it painted. for reference, it is now mid-August.

One of our Americaunas testing out the nesting boxes.

Our first egg. This was just two weeks ago.

Productivity is increasing!

Two of my girls greeting me in the morning to let them out.

I'm still not 100% done. All that I have left to do is attach the electrical from the coop to my barn and build some screened inserts for the windows so we can have the windows open for ventilation but the chickens can't fly out. All in all I would say this project cost me around $1,000 in materials. I had to buy some tools (tamper, framing nail gun, 6' level, etc.) but those will come in handy in the coming years when I add a deck off our home's kitchen, and finish our basement. One of the biggest single expense was probably the siding ($250), followed closely (surprisingly) by the hardware cloth for the run ($200). Next would be wood, but since I had a lot of the more expensive treated stuff my costs were kept down slightly. I would say I probably spent another $200-$300 in plywood for the walls, interior, and roof. Probably another $100-$150 in 2"x4"s and other assorted wood.

All in all it was a fun experience (except for all the rain delays) and a good learning experience for me. Sadly, we lost half our flock in a single hour one day to a fox raid. We allowed the chickens to free range around the barn and house when we were outside, and had no issues doing this for the 1-2 months we did it. Then I went inside one day to make lunch for my kids, and an hour later came out to two dead chickens and two missing ones. Foxes hit them right off our porch, which is a good 50 yards from the tree line. Needless to say, now I know why every post i read say free ranging is a bad idea. Lesson learned the hard way. Now the girls stay in the coop and run.

If you have any questions, ask away!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome, good for you. I am jealous. We need to make that move as well. Good luck with the chickens.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I love threads like this.

Fantastic job OP!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow, talk about building the proverbial brick outhouse... you did good! Way over-built for a chicken coop, but you did good on it!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:18:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow, talk about building the proverbial brick outhouse... you did good! Way over-built for a chicken coop, but you did good on it!
View Quote

Trust me, I know (and get reminded of it every time my wife's farmer father visit). But I'm in my forty's and my body is starting to feel it (bad back, bad shoulders, etc.) so I didn't want to be building a coop, roofing, etc. in my fifty's or sixty's when the cheaper coop I built earlier in life fell apart. This one was built to last (hell, it will probably out last me) so I don't have to ever build one again. And at 8'x8' it is big enough if we ever want to expand our flock we have ample room or big enough if we want to re-purpose it for something else should be decide we no longer want chickens.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Way nicer than the monstrosity I built for mine.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Three things

1. that is awesome! nice job.
2. where did you get that little pull behind trailer?
3. now you can go build the kids a playhouse
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Three things

View Quote

1. Thank you!
2. It's a YuTrax. I purchased mine from from Norther Tool and Electric (on-line catalog, but I'm not sure if they carry the brand anymore). It's an awesome utility cart for working around the yard. The top red guard rails come off. Rear gate comes off, and it even tilts for easy dumping. Does great hauling firewood. They make a slightly beefier version with dual wheels and independent axles. If you get one, make sure to buy some plywood to affix to the inside. The metal grating isn't as strong as I would have preferred and tossing heavy logs in could easily damage it. Little plywood and she is as tough as nails. I would buy one again in a heartbeat. Well worth the price (just remember to inject grease into the zerks on occasion to keep the bearings lubed).
3. They are asking for one, but after doing this build I need a break from building structures. Wife wants me to try my hand at making some furniture (we need an entryway bench) so after I get all my fall/winter firewood chopped that is my next project
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

1. Thank you!
2. It's a YuTrax. I purchased mine from from Norther Tool and Electric (on-line catalog, but I'm not sure if they carry the brand anymore). It's an awesome utility cart for working around the yard. The top red guard rails come off. Rear gate comes off, and it even tilts for easy dumping. Does great hauling firewood. They make a slightly beefier version with dual wheels and independent axles. If you get one, make sure to buy some plywood to affix to the inside. The metal grating isn't as strong as I would have preferred and tossing heavy logs in could easily damage it. Little plywood and she is as tough as nails. I would buy one again in a heartbeat. Well worth the price (just remember to inject grease into the zerks on occasion to keep the bearings lubed).
3. They are asking for one, but after doing this build I need a break from building structures. Wife wants me to try my hand at making some furniture (we need an entryway bench) so after I get all my fall/winter firewood chopped that is my next project
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Three things

1. Thank you!

Northern Tool still does have the YuTrax. --Sounds like you have busy winter ahead of you
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#14]
That's one nice chicken coop for someone with no formal experience in construction.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That's one nice chicken coop for someone with no formal experience in construction.

View Quote

Thanks! It was a great learning experience. I feel much more confident now than before in my building skills. We have a ~1,500 square foot unfinished basement in our house and I want to finish it. Doing the framing and work on the coop was a good starting foundation for moving on to the basement project in the coming years. Also plan on adding a small deck (maybe 8'x12') off from our ground floor kitchen.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Stupid question, what are those pre-formed concrete things that you mounted the shed on? Where did you get them?

Nice coop, I've slept in worse....
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Stupid question, what are those pre-formed concrete things that you mounted the shed on? Where did you get them?

Nice coop, I've slept in worse....
View Quote

They are concrete deck blocks, and you can find them at any big box home improvement store like Home Depot or Lowe's for around $6.00 each. The center square measures 4"x4"and a typical 4"x4" post fits perfectly in it. Each block is rated to 3,000 psi compression strength.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:26:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Very nice job. Actually looks better that my first apartment years ago.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:44:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I am not a chicken person yet. Maybe next spring.

What is that in the poop tray?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am not a chicken person yet. Maybe next spring.

What is that in the poop tray?
View Quote

Called Stall Dry (edited to add: that is actually the name brand of the stuff my wife buys, there are other brands). It's basically kitty litter. Can get it at any farm/feed type store. It's typically used to dry the pee spots in horse stalls. Just make sure to the the granular stuff not powder.

One thing I would have done differently is the edges of the poop tray should have been about an inch taller. Mine are about 1 1/2"-ish tall. While it works, taller edges would do a better job keeping the litter in while scooping.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#22]
You build better than some "builders". Nice job.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:00:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Yea, dont expect the chickens to actually use the nesting boxes

Mine quit using them and started laying in the corner of the coop.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yea, dont expect the chickens to actually use the nesting boxes
Mine quit using them and started laying in the corner of the coop.
View Quote

Mine, so far, are using two of the four nesting boxes regularly. We occasionally find a egg on the dirt in the run, but all the others are in the nesting boxes.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#25]
that is seriously nicer than my shed, which was evidently once a chicken coop
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top