Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2014 7:07:55 PM EDT
So we have a converted attic. Now the master bedroom suite. In the attic the gas line sticks out an inch or two out one wall and is capped off.

What on earth was this for? The house had at one point a gravity furnace that was converted into a full blown forced air HVAC system.  

Was it a heater for the attic? Before forced air was added? No water lines so it's not a attic water heater.

More or less I'm gonna take it out, if it's for something I can't think of and I end up wanting one of the things I can't think of I'll leave it.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#1]
anyplace that there is, a joint connection or elbow, is a good place to drop a capped nipple if there is any chance you might need gas there in the future.  once the pipe is place it is much easier to just uncap and run line from that point. IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:48:58 AM EDT
[#2]
maybe for a potential attic apartment? my only guess. :)
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:23:59 AM EDT
[#3]
How old is the house?  How big is the line?

We have gas light lines still in our ceilings, no longer hooked up in the basement but still in place.  House was built sometime in the thirty years before 1901.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Possibly for what used to be, or could have been an attic installed HVAC system? As stated, it's fairly common for anybody with foresight to throw in some capped lines in strategic places when running gas lines in a house. This makes it MUCH easier to go back and tap into a line after it's all in place and changes need to be made. If that is the case, they may have dropped a line into the attic just in case a gas-fired hvac system was desired in the future.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Old houses used to use gas for lighting. Sorta like Coleman lantern mantles in a light fixture.
They used space heaters too. Is there a spot on the wall for a flue pipe?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:50:11 AM EDT
[#6]
It's defiantly not gas lights. The capped off line is  8" from the floor and it's 3/4 pipe.

House built in 1940.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:14:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's defiantly not gas lights. The capped off line is  8" from the floor and it's 3/4 pipe.

House built in 1940.
View Quote

Space heater or stove...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top