Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2014 8:06:16 PM EDT
I have a tv that was mounted prior to be buying the place.  I've heard the debate of above fireplace mounting, but I'm trying to make best of the situation of holes already there for the tv / speakers.  Essentially what I want to do is move the components that are on the mantle, to the floor to the left.  There is a cable hookup and AC plug at both locations so I will only need to run a HDMI cable and speaker wires.  The main headache is the foam insulated walls.  Does anyone have any ideas?

The only thing I can think of is to use a flexible auger bit from the attic and drill down above the tv.  Move to the left 4' and drill the 9' to the floor.  That is past my experience level though.  

Excuse the picture. Have computer issue and safe mode disables many needed programs.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:49:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you live in Australia?

That is why I hesitate about foaming my walls.
You may find that an electrician could do it faster. Maybe even cheaper after you've bought the augers and extensions.
Or you could run the wires along the wall and up the fireplace but that's obviously more visible.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:56:33 AM EDT
[#2]
TV too high.   I would abandon the project. Take the TV down and place it at a proper viewing height. Repair the wall.
I just don't understand this whole thing about a TV over the fireplace.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TV too high.   I would abandon the project. Take the TV down and place it at a proper viewing height. Repair the wall.
View Quote

He is married. TV goes where the wife says the TV goes.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Moving it is the right thing to do.  It is absurd where it is.

Move it, hook up what you can (power and cable coax), including speakers via their wires.

What's the HDMI cable for?  I don't really understand the wiring problem which underlies your post.  Can you provide more detail and discussion?

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Exterior wall?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:55:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Height is fine if you get the correct mount & tilt it down towards the couch.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:10:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Height is fine if you get the correct mount & tilt it down towards the couch.
View Quote

Ehhh...not really!   Every "study" done, from tech to physiological, says it should be at eye level.   Tilting it down doesn't change anything.  And acoustically, for somebody investing in a decent systems, want it setup right, even if 90% of folks could not tell the difference.  That means the speakers are at viewing level for true surround sound.  It's like having a stereo track and playing it through a single earbud.  You miss out on the full sound experience.  Most won't care, but if doing it right, the OP and others AE right, it needs to come down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top