Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2014 6:39:38 AM EDT
In 1994, Congress banned the sale of functional, high-capacity toilets. Not coincidentally, that was the same year as the assault weapons ban. From what I can tell the EU and Canada have share the same restrictions. Is there any country that still sells high-capacity toilets? Thailand? Mexico? In the 2000s, I imported a 3.5gpf toilet from Canada -- best decision I ever made.

Not interested in hearing how government-approved low-flows are great now.  I'm sure your 130hp Prius is "just as good" as a 500hp Corvette, too. High-capacity in a modern design is what matters. I don't live in California, "saving" water isn't an issue.  I want high-capacity toilets solely because the government doesn't want me to have them.

It is not illegal to buy, import or possess a bootleg toilet, incandescent light bulb, or high-flow shower head. It's only illegal to manufacture them in the US.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:45:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy from Canada and they will ship to US.  Another member did this and posted the info / pics.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I know what you're going for, but my Flushmate power flush toilets are about the best thing ever.
I don't even own a plunger, those things could suck down a small child.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:46:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Used building material stores.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:53:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like you need a Ferguson, the king of bowls, the Stradivarious of toilets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL2YRDzpTL4
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:07:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I have three in my house that I'm replacing with the new ones.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I do live in California.  

Low flow toilets are well intentioned but basically do not provide the water savings they claim.  For anything other than urine, you end up needing to flush 2 or 3 times.  You need a plunger handy every time, all the time.  Expect plugged toilets and toilet over-flows (with contaminated water and soil).  

I also wonder about hidden issues.  With the same amount of waste in the waste line but less water to flush it into the sewer, are the drain lines really clear enough?

They seem like the Roto-router man's dream.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do live in California.  

Low flow toilets are well intentioned but basically do not provide the water savings they claim.  For anything other than urine, you end up needing to flush 2 or 3 times.  You need a plunger handy every time, all the time.  Expect plugged toilets and toilet over-flows (with contaminated water and soil).  

I also wonder about hidden issues.  With the same amount of waste in the waste line but less water to flush it into the sewer, are the drain lines really clear enough?

They seem like the Roto-router man's dream.

View Quote

The first low flow toilet did suck.

The current ones are great.  I have 3 low flow Cadet3 toilets in my current house.  Installed when I built it (move in early 2008).  We have NEVER had a clogged toilet.  I've flushed a LOT of waste down the toilets TRYING to see what it takes to clog them...and haven't been able to.  They flat out flow GREAT.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:42:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I just installed a Toto Drake 1.6 model.  It is FANTASTIC.  Much better than any of those old ones.  With 4 girls in the house they have yet to plug this one after several months of use.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:45:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Buy from Canada and they will ship to US.  Another member did this and posted the info / pics.
View Quote

How recently? I checked plumbing stores online in Canada and they only had low-flow.

It's amazing how many, even here, just go along with the government capacity limitation and think it's great.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sounds like you need a Ferguson, the king of bowls, the Stradivarious of toilets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL2YRDzpTL4
View Quote

I need that because of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IfzRf1DtxQ
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't care how much water a toilet uses.  But, if a low flow toilet flushes better than my old high flow toilet, then it's another bonus.  I have to pay for water (city water) so using less water makes sense.  

I just want a toilet to work.  How much water it uses is immaterial.  

If you want a high flow toilet to thumb your nose at the government....go for it.  But, no one in government really cares what toilet you have.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:19:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quality low flow toilets are amazing these days.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How recently? I checked plumbing stores online in Canada and they only had low-flow.

It's amazing how many, even here, just go along with the government capacity limitation and think it's great.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't agree with the regulations, but I'm not going to cut off my own nose to spite my face. If you really want a preban toilet, go for it. The current ones are nothing like the old low flow toilets. They actually work as good or better than the prebans. Of course you can get the ultra low flow ones that might not be as good, but the regular ones work fine.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:07:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know what you're going for, but my Flushmate power flush toilets are about the best thing ever.
View Quote

Gee...I may have to have one of those!  
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:38:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

do you make a habit of flushing your small chils?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:42:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had a few visit my house that I'd like to plunge in the toilet.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:09:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quality low flow toilets are amazing these days.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Exactly,

I'd much rather the current low-flows (Cadet 3 etc,,,) than the standard toilets of my childhood with the old style float on a rod that you bent to adjust the height.  The new ones today flush much better and the fact I save water (and money) is a bonus.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top