Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2014 9:26:30 PM EDT
So what do I need to do?  It's not a torrent of water, but it's more than a drip.  A steady small stream, I guess I'd call it.

What I've read on the web says to replace the valve, then if it still leaks, there's something else wrong.

Is this correct?

For now I turned off the water supply to it and turned off the gas to it.  That will need to be rectified ASAP... I don't really want to take cold showers!!!

Plumbers of ARFcom... Advise me!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:29:05 PM EDT
[#1]
How old is the heater?

Yes, replace the valve first.  You also need to test the water pressure in your house as well.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How old is the heater?

Yes, replace the valve first.  You also need to test the water pressure in your house as well.
View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Water heater is 8 - 10 years old, I don't remember exactly.

I will replace the valve in the morning.

I'm pretty sure we have high water pressure... I remember when we had the house inspected before we bought it 13 years ago, the inspector tested the water pressure and said it was pretty high, but didn't seem concerned about it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:40:21 AM EDT
[#4]
If you still have water coming out of the to valve after the heater cools off , it's probably not the heater

99% chance it's just the tp

They should be operated every month to keep this from happening
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:55:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What he said.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How old is the heater?

What he said.

Yeah
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:02:02 AM EDT
[#6]
With the pressure and temperature valve failure, it could be 3 things. First is to understand how it works. Inside is a valve with a seal and that held in place with a spring. Overtime the spring can weaken or the valve seat or gasket can break down. If you have hard water a piece of sediment could have gotten in between the valve and seat causing a little gap.  When that happens it no longer seals and will cause a leak. Then other cause could be high city water pressure. This could be from high pressure coming from the supply line. Second could be a problem with the heating element or gas thermocouple. This could cause a dangerous over temperature or pressure situation. As you heat the water it expands. The best and really only fix is to replace the valve with an identical one. One thing to never do is plug the valve. This could cause a explosion of the water heater (not likely but it could happen).
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Is there an expansion tank?  Quickly push in the schrader valve on the end of the tank for a split second, if water comes out you need a new expansion tank.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Likely just leaking due to seal breaking down as suggested above. Don't need to drain the tank, just shut off the water to the task, relieve the pressure by opening a hot water spigot, close it. Make sure all spigots are off creating a water lock, loosen but don't remove T&P, put pipe dope on new one, remove and immediately install new T&P. You'll lose maybe an ounce or two of water.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is there an expansion tank?  Quickly push in the schrader valve on the end of the tank for a split second, if water comes out you need a new expansion tank.
View Quote

What he said. When the water is heated it expands, that expansion creates pressure in the system, because there is a one way valve (back flow preventer)  on the supply line coming into the house. That's why there's an expansion tank in the system.

The expansion tank has a rubber diaphragm in it that, over time will fail. They are cheap and easy to replace.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#10]
at that age, it is most likely the t&p

thermal expansion doesn't typically become an issue after 8-10 years
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#11]
My house has a pressure blow off valve that would release the extra pressure from expansion. After a decade it got crapped up from mineral deposits and stopped working, so I had leaks caused by high pressure. I bought a new one and replaced it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:44:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine had never operated to my knowledge.  One day, I decided to test it.  Of course, it started leaking and wouldn't stop dribbling hot water out the drain line.  Had to replace the valve with a new one.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#13]
open and close the valve and flush it out a bunch of times ,make sure the water is on you can leave the gas off .just needs a good flush .also turn the lever 90 degrees when open . it wont leak for years
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:20:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
open and close the valve and flush it out a bunch of times ,make sure the water is on you can leave the gas off .just needs a good flush .also turn the lever 90 degrees when open . it wont leak for years
View Quote

This was a short term fix for me.  Stopped leaking for a couple of weeks, then I had to replace the valve.

Certainly worth a try.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:46:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
at that age, it is most likely the t&p

thermal expansion doesn't typically become an issue after 8-10 years
View Quote

Unless the expansion tank fails.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
This was a short term fix for me.  Stopped leaking for a couple of weeks, then I had to replace the valve.

Certainly worth a try.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Certainly worth a try.

Worth a try, but it didn't help mine.  I tried the same thing with the same thought.  Opened and closed it probably 30-40 times.  Didn't help.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow, didn't realize this thread got so many replies.  I'll read through them all in case I need more help.

I replaced the valve and it seems to be fine now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top