Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2014 8:53:56 AM EDT
Is there anything that I can use to kill ticks in my yard?  I don't live in a wooded area, it's a generic suburban backyard, 95% lawn.  Last year was a very bad tick year and now I'm already finding them on my dogs.  Problem is, I haven't ran them lately because one is down after getting dew claws removed, so I'm suspecting they're in the yard.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:54:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Hate your neighbors??

Guinea hens.

Otherwise there's all kinds of lawn treatments you can use.

I put a Y-Tex Python cattle ear tag for fleas/ticks/etc around my hound's collar, no problems with ticks ever since for her.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:55:20 AM EDT
[#2]
You need some good tick med on your dogs and look at Wal Mart or Lowes, Home Depot for tick granules to spread on yard once per month to keep them down.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hate your neighbors??

Guinea hens.

View Quote

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/312682/raising-guinea-fowl-101
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:03:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Man you guys are quick.  

I've already used the tick med that you drip down the dogs spine.  It's leftover stuff I got at Costco last year, so maybe it's too old?

I have coonhounds too and, the ear tag thing is a good idea, I'll have to attach one to their tracking collars.

Is there one brand of chemical that's better for killing ticks?  No fleas in Idaho, thank god!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#6]
diatomaceous earth works as well.
pick it up at the feed store and spread it with a regular spreader.
that way your dogs don't go out in poison.
takes a while, but it will kill them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#7]
We tried a product called "Tick Tubes" that are basically toilet paper tubes filled with cotton treated with a non toxic substance that rodenst and tick carriers take back to their nests which in turn kills the ticks that the carriers pick up. Seemed to work pretty well last year and the year before and we live in a rural area...lots of ticks.  YMMV
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Malathion.
It is on the label.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Man you guys are quick.  

I've already used the tick med that you drip down the dogs spine.  It's leftover stuff I got at Costco last year, so maybe it's too old?

I have coonhounds too and, the ear tag thing is a good idea, I'll have to attach one to their tracking collars.

Is there one brand of chemical that's better for killing ticks?  No fleas in Idaho, thank god!
View Quote

You can get a Lyme disease vaccine for your dogs now.  It is a two shot series a few weeks apart followed by an annual booster.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Flamethrower!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:36:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Guinea Fowl.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#12]
LymeVax for the dogs, and we use a Seresto collar replaced each spring. It's been absolutely 100% for fleas and ticks on our hound. About $50 at Amazon but worth every penny.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Lysol diluted with water. Spray the yard. No more ticks or fleas.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the input folks!  

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:54:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I keep all my brush cut back and the lawn super short.

But my chickens made all the difference in the world.  5 acres and six hens and very few ticks.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:09:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Tweezers,  anvil, hammer, and lots of patience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top