Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/24/2014 3:21:33 PM EDT
Hey Fellow DIYers, I am looking into getting a new cordless drill and need some direction. Are DeWalt's really all that and a bag of chips or are other brands like Porter Cable, Bosch, Kobalt and Hitachi just as good? What about volts, is 20 really better than 18 taking battery life into consideration?

I am looking more toward the buy once, cry once approach and don't have a budget, but want to keep it under $300.

Thanks

ETA Update: I bought this set today at Lowes: DeWalt Hammer/Impact

It was on sale and Lowe's had just sent me a coupon the previous day. That and the nearest Home Depot is 40mins away. I appreciate everyone's input and if anything goes awry, I will be sure to let you guys know.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Milwaukee.  M18 series hammer drill $260.00. Home Depot    2 batteries charger and case
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#2]
DeWalt is not what it used to be. I had one. It didn't last. It didn't last as long as the POS Ryobi I had. I have a Rigid now and love it.

I've drilled contrete for TapCons, steel, driven lots of drywall screws and deck screws for projects. I bought it because my dad works construction and has a set he uses with no issues. Plus they have a great warranty for their batteries.

ETA: After reading the post above me, you won't go wrong with Milwaukee. You mentioned Porter Cable and I've never had an issue with them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Hitachi and Bosch are better then Dewalt....The Hitachi is the higher end. Bosch is still a close second in quality. Dewalt is farther back in the pack these days.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 3:51:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Ridgid cordless impact driver.  I like it.  I also like the lifetime battery warranty.  I had to use it and, while it was a bit of a pain to use (not as easy as walking in and getting a new one), I still got a new battery.  

Something to be aware of....if you buy just a spare battery or two for Ridgid cordless tools, the spare batteries aren't warrantied for a lifetime.  I think the warranty is for 3 years.  

I think the Milwaukee tools are a step above the Ridgid but I bought the Ridgid because of the warranty.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had 2 Dewalts long ago, good not great.
 Had a Ridgid for awhile, liked it, batteries went bad in under 3 years.
Own a Porter Cable now,I like it, but don't use it everyday like the others.
My 2 cents   Porter Cable > Ridgid > Dewalt
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like the parent company for Rigid, Milwaukee, Craftsman and Ryobi is Techtronic. Maybe they just make tools to different specs, but it seems that they might have similar internals.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 4:28:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a couple of Hitachis that have held up with no problems. The first was a gift and I liked it enough to buy another.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 4:55:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have a Ridgid cordless impact driver.  I like it.  I also like the lifetime battery warranty.  I had to use it and, while it was a bit of a pain to use (not as easy as walking in and getting a new one), I still got a new battery.  
Something to be aware of....if you buy just a spare battery or two for Ridgid cordless tools, the spare batteries aren't warrantied for a lifetime.  I think the warranty is for 3 years.  
I think the Milwaukee tools are a step above the Ridgid but I bought the Ridgid because of the warranty.
View Quote

I've had good luck with Ridgid stuff.  The older tools are a bit heavy, but are definitely rugged.

I just got two replacement 18volt batteries for my ridgid drill a few months back.  The original batteries lasted about 4 years.  I went to my local Home Depot and dropped the batteries off at the customer service desk.  All they needed to do was to fill out a form using my LSA-Lifetime Service Agreement member number.  Voila, I got two new batteries shipped to my house about two weeks later.

I registered the replacement batteries and received an email from Ridgid advising my new batteries were now warrantied for life.  I think the big trick is to make sure you register your Ridgid stuff online.   You can keep track of all of your Ridgid tools, and it shows which tools have which warranty.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Hitachi 18v lithium. Best. Drill. Ever.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Hey Fellow DIYers, I am looking into getting a new cordless drill and need some direction. Are DeWalt's really all that and a bag of chips or are other brands like Porter Cable, Bosch, Kobalt and Hitachi just as good? What about volts, is 20 really better than 18 taking battery life into consideration?

I am looking more toward the buy once, cry once approach and don't have a budget, but want to keep it under $300.

Thanks
View Quote

20v = 18v  no difference, it's a marketing gimick

Honestly if you're a home use DIY your batteries will die from sitting sooner than you'll wear out a tool.  I went with rigid because they fit my needs perfectly, however HD did have a deal with some sets of milwaukee tools to buy a set and get a free tool or some other doo dad.  That's a pretty good deal and hard to pass up, I looked into getting some M12 tools but ultimately decided not to for a variety of reasons (namely the cost to benefit ratio didn't add up for my uses.)
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Milwaukee.  M18 series hammer drill $260.00. Home Depot    2 batteries charger and case
View Quote

This^^^
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hitachi 18v lithium. Best. Drill. Ever.
View Quote

+1  Lots of power .
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 6:43:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They are almost all Made In China these days. Ridgid drills AND their batteries carry a Lifetime Warranty through Home Depot. That's pretty much a no-brainer.
View Quote

Ridgid isn't warrantied through Home Depot but you can get warranty service through Home Depot.  Ridgid warranties their own tools.  

A lot of people think that Ridgid is Home Depot's in house brand but that's not the case.  I think Home Depot is their biggest retailer but you can buy Ridgid tools outside of Home Depot.  

The biggest thing that you MUST do when you buy your Ridgid tools is to register them online.  If you fail to do so, the warranty will not cover the tools and batteries.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#15]
One decision you want to be clear on is whether you want this for drilling holes with twist drill bits or whether you want it for screws.

If you want it for driving screws, get an impact driver.  These will drill an occasional hole for you but the excel at driving screws.

If you want it for drilling holes, get a drill.  These excel at drilling holes but are really lacking as a screw driver.

Either way, start thinking about using square drive screws - they are so much easier to drive than Phillips (and slotted screws are a thing of the past).

Since I purchased my impact driver, my drill motor just sits most of the time.  I still use the drill but MUCH less frequently.  Luckily, I they are both in DeWalt  and use the same batteries and charger.  I can pick the right tool for the job.  

So, in true ARFCOM form, I have both.

Here is an offer on RIGID - Link to HD
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#16]
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Compact-Combo-Kit-3-Tool-LCT300W/202749025?MERCH=REC-_-product-1-_-202749022-_-202749025-_-N

We use Makitas all day long.  Batteries are pricey, but the quality and durability are there.  Drills and impacts last at least 2 years, batteries longer, and like I said we use them all day long 5-6 days per week.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 10:48:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I've had such great service with Milwaukee that I don't buy anything else.

Bought a drill/hammer drill/driver and 1/4" hex impact tool with charger and 2 batteries from HD last year...pre-Fuel family.

The little impact tool drives 8" torx drive screws through fence rails into RR ties with no issues.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Milwaukee
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 6:19:19 AM EDT
[#19]
There's a recent thread on this if you search, pretty much same conclusion:  almost any major brand is favored over DeWalt.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 6:32:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I went with Rigid for the lifetime warranty.  Batteries that are included in the kits come with the lifetime warranty.  Batteries bought separately don't come with the lifetime warranty.  You do have to register after you buy it or you don't get the warranty.  I'm happy with their performance.        

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 7:08:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 7:40:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Hi,
I'll second the Mikita recommendation.  I've had mine a few years now and it works great.  Whatever you get, absolutely get a lithium ion battery version.  Lithium ion versions hold their charge while sitting there and have much more power for longer. Very important in a cordless tool.
Rick
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 8:33:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Correct. And my apologies for not properly emphasizing that said Ridgid Lifetime Warranty is ONLY available for Ridgid tools bought through Home Depot. Since a pair of replacement batteries can easily equal or exceed the price of a new drill, the Lifetime Warranty on Ridgid tools purchased through Home Depot is virtually a no-brainer for the average home user who cannot amortize the cost of a new drill/battery set every year by adding it to the materials cost they charge to their customers.   And they're not bad tools either.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are almost all Made In China these days. Ridgid drills AND their batteries carry a Lifetime Warranty through Home Depot. That's pretty much a no-brainer.

Ridgid isn't warrantied through Home Depot but you can get warranty service through Home Depot.  Ridgid warranties their own tools.  

A lot of people think that Ridgid is Home Depot's in house brand but that's not the case.  I think Home Depot is their biggest retailer but you can buy Ridgid tools outside of Home Depot.  

The biggest thing that you MUST do when you buy your Ridgid tools is to register them online.  If you fail to do so, the warranty will not cover the tools and batteries.

Correct. And my apologies for not properly emphasizing that said Ridgid Lifetime Warranty is ONLY available for Ridgid tools bought through Home Depot. Since a pair of replacement batteries can easily equal or exceed the price of a new drill, the Lifetime Warranty on Ridgid tools purchased through Home Depot is virtually a no-brainer for the average home user who cannot amortize the cost of a new drill/battery set every year by adding it to the materials cost they charge to their customers.   And they're not bad tools either.

I like my Ridgid cordless tools.  

I warrantied my battery after about 2 years (homeowner use).  Replacement batteries are warrantied for 3 years so if the batteries only last 2 years, then the replacement batteries are also a good deal.  

I like the Milwaukee tools a lot but I went with the Ridgid specifically because of the warranty.  When I warrantied the tools, I had to bring in the entire tool set (cordless impact driver, charger, and battery) for them to verify the warranty.  I thought it would be as simple as bringing the battery only.  I had to make a separate trip home to pick up the rest of the kit which kind of annoyed me.  However, I got my free replacement battery so I'm happy overall.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks like I am leaning toward Milwaukee. Anyone have any extreme objections to this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-1-2-in-Cordless-Hammer-Drill-XC-Battery-Kit-2602-22/202043745?N=5yc1vZc27fZzv
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#29]
We use Makita 18v Lithium Ion drills and drivers at work..  They take a beating, and keep on going...

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Almost bought the brushless for 400.

They had the regular m18 for 299 with a free 129 18v tool.

Got the ridgid for 199 combo drill and impact.warranty for life batteries is was got me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Several years ago I read a real-world list of best cordless drills.  It might have been on garage journal or something, can't remember.  Anyway, hitachi was número uno.  

I actually don't have a cordless drill, only a corded one.  It's a dewalt and will break my wrist if I'm not careful.  Had it for a long time too....so far so good.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Porter Cable is own by the same company as DeWalt, and is suppose to be a grade below Dewalt.  YMMV. Also I wouldn't bother with the cordless hammer drill, and get regular cordless drill/driver and a corded rotary hammer if you plan on drilling into concrete much.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

I have a DeWalt 20v Li-Ion and its great.  

Porter Cables are pretty nice though

Either way I would get Lithium Ion.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Bosch

I've been giving a 18v lithium hell for going on 3 years and it refuses to quit.
Got a Bosch Impact driver that survived a fall off a second story roof. Bounced when it hit the ground. Still works like the day I bought it.
Got a 1/2 high torque impact wrench that rivals my pneumatic model. It will sink a 1/2"x6" lag into a treated post in about 20 seconds with no pilot hole.

<------------------- General Contractor

I've used a bit of it all over the years and of the current crop I would rate as follows.

Bosch>Makita>Milwaukee>DeWalt>Porter Cable

Haven't had the chance to try Hitachi or Ridgid. I hear good things about Hitachi, not so much about Ridgid.

I will say that there are differences in the Bosch models, the one that Lowes sales for $99 is a good drill but it can't hold a candle to the model they sale for $169, the latter has about twice as much power.

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Makita 18 v the green/black set for amazing power and battery life

the white black set for light weight, compact, comfortable, and fast charging batteries.

they are great drills

I am a custom cabinety installer and use these on a daily basis

Eta:  I agree almost exactly with what the above poster said, accept I prefer the makita over the bosch

they are both great and either will serve you well.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Milwaukee or Makita.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Get an impact driver. Single greatest cordless tool ever.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 8:20:36 AM EDT
[#38]
What do you guys think about bostich?
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 11:00:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What do you guys think about bostich?
View Quote

They are owned by Black & Decker as is DeWalt and Porter Cable.

I'm not sure if the Bostitch tool is suppose to bridge the gap between PC & DeWalt or the gap between PC and B&D. Never used one but they look a little cheap to me. Of course YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#40]
I've used all the major brands at work, and found them all to do a fine job.  I bought a DeWalt back in 95 and other than replacing batteries, it lasted 17 years before I replaced it.  I didn't replace it because it broke, I replaced it because I got a great deal on a DeWalt set including sawzall, impact, cut off, and circular saw and didn't feel like buying a new set of batteries for it.  I still have the drill and other than the fact that the ancient batteries die too quick to use, it still runs great  All of the tools I got a couple years ago have been great.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the top brands and I still consider DeWalt one of them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#41]
I've been very happy with my Makita 18V tools with lithium ion batteries.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:01:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Looks like I am leaning toward Milwaukee. Anyone have any extreme objections to this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-1-2-in-Cordless-Hammer-Drill-XC-Battery-Kit-2602-22/202043745?N=5yc1vZc27fZzv
View Quote

I have a little wood shop in my garage and recently replaces my old cordless drill with a Milwaukee combo. I got the M12 hammer drill and impact driver combo.

My advise  would be do go with 12 volt over the 18 unless you are a very heavy user or need massive torque. I've found the 12volt to be more than power full enough. The impact driver will sink screws so deep you run out of bit to reach them and doesn't even slow down. They are seriously powerful for their size. And the little 12 volts are very compact and lightweight.

I was very Leary of going with just a 12 volt but now I'm glad I did. Today's 12volts are like the 18 volts used to be.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I have a little wood shop in my garage and recently replaces my old cordless drill with a Milwaukee combo. I got the M12 hammer drill and impact driver combo.

My advise  would be do go with 12 volt over the 18 unless you are a very heavy user or need massive torque. I've found the 12volt to be more than power full enough. The impact driver will sink screws so deep you run out of bit to reach them and doesn't even slow down. They are seriously powerful for their size. And the little 12 volts are very compact and lightweight.

I was very Leary of going with just a 12 volt but now I'm glad I did. Today's 12volts are like the 18 volts used to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, but todays 18v are practically as good as a corded 3/8 drill.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

This

Its what all my techs run including myself.  Well made great battery life and powerful
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#45]
My new Makita brushless is the cat's ass. Built a 12x12 pergola on one battery swap.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#46]
For what its worth, used Matco or Snap On impacts are great, the Snap On CT4410 is a 3/8 drive that uses ni-cad batts and it performs well, they have a new 3/8 impact that uses 18v lithium batts that is a monster but I doubt you'd find a reasonably priced used one yet.  Matco's Infinium impacts are also very nice, I use the 1/2 in and the new 3/8 one (it is red instead of grey) and it works very well.  If you should find a good deal on a Matco, the older Infinium impacts were 14.4v and they also work well, but avoid the first Infinium as it is junk, the second version (with a silver nose piece) is pretty nice.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same drill plus an impact driver and an extra battery, for the same price.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Hammer-Drill-Impact-Driver-XC-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-2697-22/203106552?N=5yc1vZc2ecZzv

ETA, be careful with the impact driver, I have broken a few heads off of screws with it.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Just picked this set up.

Link Posted: 5/9/2014 3:04:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Updated 1st post.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This

Its what all my techs run including myself.  Well made great battery life and powerful
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

I just bought another set of these tonight for another tech.  Came with a free impact as well which is always handy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top