Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2011 8:34:41 PM EDT
Bought a house a few years back... it came with a carport instead of a garage.

Don't want to tear down the carport and build a garage because unsure how much longer I'll be here.

Could be 1-3 more years, could be 5-10... could be a life sentence, lol.

Anyhow, I'd like to be able to store things under my carport, but it's open to the street.

Interestingly enough, however, it's already enclosed on three sides (house on one side, fence to the rear and other side).

So... how redneck and/or white trash would it be to install a garage door to close off the front?  

==============================================================================================================

Update: I've only contacted one garage door company so far, but they ballparked me ~$1k for the door and ~$500 for the opener, both installed.

They said the width made it a "special order item" and that this increased the cost ("Wow... that's a pretty wide door.").

I'm at least a little suspect of that claim, because I've seen plenty of doors wider than that in the last few weeks. Unless 1/2 the people in the neighborhood have "special order item" doors...
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#1]
pictures of wife/gf? you know the rules
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Just put a lockable box in there.  Cuz, yeah that's pretty redneck.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 8:40:13 PM EDT
[#3]
A blue Tarp would be better
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I need pics of everything.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Claymores not an option to keep out the riffraff?
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 2:54:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Use one of THESE garage doors!
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 4:02:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Laws may be different down there but once you add that 4th wall, so to speak, you might run into code laws, permitting, etc.  

And yes, completely redneck.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 4:37:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Use one of THESE garage doors!

very cool
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:18:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
pictures of wife/gf? you know the rules
Where did I say anything about a wife/gf?

Quoted:
I need pics of everything.
Coming in the next day or so...

Quoted:
Laws may be different down there but once you add that 4th wall, so to speak, you might run into code laws, permitting, etc.  

And yes, completely redneck.  
Most helpful post so far.  I hadn't thought about that angle.

To take nothing away from the rest of you!  It's not like I didn't need every single one of those laughs...
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, definitely check what permits and laws apply.  I know around here you're allowed to have a garage door on your car port, but you have to pull a permit to enclose the walls.  They're somewhat lax with enforcement though.  If they don't see you doing it, nothing will happen.  Personally, I like to do things the legal way to avoid trouble and having to sneak around, but I have seen several people get away with putting up the door to kinda hide that you're building the other walls behind the door.
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't understand why you would have to tear down the carport.  Why can't you just add three walls and the door?
Besides, it will add value to the house, and with the housing market where it is, you better plan a longer stay to let the value go up enough to cover finance costs.  
Pics would be good.  Of the carport, not your significant other.
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 4:53:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How about an awning off a travel trailer? Just roll it down at night..back up in the morning..

This is just plain Hillbilly.Rednecks wouldn't even go this far
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Lots of houses in my city were car port only.  Over the years many people have enclosed them and added garage doors.  They look fine if you know how to do a professional type job.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#16]
What is the average number of cars on blocks in the front lawn in your neighborhood?
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I think it would be fine as long as there are plenty of empty PBR Tall Boy cans on the ground.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#18]
You might as well just get another fence section at that point. Hinge it on one side and put a caster or wheel on the other hahaha
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You might as well just get another fence section at that point. Hinge it on one side and put a caster or wheel on the other hahaha

That's so low-class...

I've seriously considered something like this, though.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, I went out and took measurements the other day, and confirmed something I had suspected...

Four inches of offset... to facilitate rain drainage, I assume.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#21]
You could do bi-fold doors that split in the middle vertically and swing like gates.  You could even make it blend into the fence so that no one knows there is anything there.
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Just pretend you're in a Mad Max movie and park a big, yellow school bus in front of it.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 10:48:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just pretend you're in a Mad Max movie and park a big, yellow school bus in front of it.  

"Just" a schoolbus?

Not redneck enough. Needs something like this

Garage AND school bus!
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 1:43:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Update: I've only contacted one garage door company so far, but they ballparked me ~$1k for the door and ~$500 for the opener, both installed.

They said the width made it a "special order item" and that this increased the cost ("Wow... that's a pretty wide door.").

I'm at least a little suspect of that claim, because I've seen plenty of doors wider than that in the last few weeks. Unless 1/2 the people in the neighborhood have "special order item" doors.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#25]
soo frame in some of the front for a smaller door
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#26]
You should use Bi-fold closet doors

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:09:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
soo frame in some of the front for a smaller door

I know you're kidding, but that's a great idea... thanks!  

And this did make me lawl:

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Do it right, use a tarp.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#29]
There is actually a house not too far from me, in a nice neighborhood ($300K homes) that has done just what you want to do, and it looks fine. Finish out the front of the opening to make it a standard two car door opening, and install the door and opener.

ETA: after looking at your sketch again, it's not the same, however, you could do it in the same manor and make it look like it should be there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top