Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2011 10:22:09 AM EDT
I have a three year old Maytag fridge with a bottom freezer.  The problem is that while the freezer is cold, the fridge is not.  There is appears to be no air circulation from the bottom to the top.  The cooling door at the back of the fridge opens and closes properly.  The freezer also has frost in it and does not seem to be defrosting.  I unplugged it for about an hour and then plugged it back in and set it to defrost by turning the cold up all the way for about another 2 hours.  There is a fan running in the back circulating air but that is it.  The model number is MBF2256KEB.  I turned the fridge to super cold and while the freezer is chrning out cold air nothing is coming from the colling door in the back of the fridge.  

Thanks

Matt
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Wait till it starts leaking all over your floor, we had the same fridge and we had the same problems as you state. we had service people come out and they told us the compressor could not handle both. About a week later the freezer leaked all over our kitchen floor, maytag would not do a damned thing about it. We got rid of it and never looked back.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a bad defrost timer or heating element.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#3]
There was a bunch of frost on the inside of the freezer and some on the coils (fins) behind the back wall of the freezer.  I defrosted those with a hair dryer and it appears to be working for the moment.  If the freezer door didn't get shut properly by a 6 year old for a night would that cause such a build up or is this more indicative of a failure?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Unlikely, it's either the defrost t-stat or the timer (if electronic controls the control is the timer)

<–––– Appliance Tech

Quoted:

There was a bunch of frost on the inside of the freezer and some on the coils (fins) behind the back wall of the freezer.  I defrosted those with a hair dryer and it appears to be working for the moment.  If the freezer door didn't get shut properly by a 6 year old for a night would that cause such a build up or is this more indicative of a failure?

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#5]
BS, was the service tech, Sears or A&E, both well known for pulling that shit.

Quoted:

Wait till it starts leaking all over your floor, we had the same fridge and we had the same problems as you state. we had service people come out and they told us the compressor could not handle both. About a week later the freezer leaked all over our kitchen floor, maytag would not do a damned thing about it. We got rid of it and never looked back.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Nomos, the part # for the control board is 67006740 and should run about $110.00 and the defrost thermostat is 6700342 and runs about $40.00.

IM me with any questions.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm letting it run a few days but there is already frost build up in the freeze starting again so my guess is I will have the same problem soon.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 5/6/2011 12:59:54 AM EDT
[#8]
hmm...keeping on eye on this thread.  I have the same fridge.  No problems yet.  I did have the frost build-up once during the first year we had it because we hadn't closed the freezer door all the way overnight.  So far no other problems other than its really loud sometimes.  It sometimes sounds like an ice cube in a food disposal once an hour or so.  That's always worried me but it's still doing fine after almost 4 years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top