Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2017 4:24:55 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I've recently purchased a home surround sound setup.  I still need to pick up an AV receiver, but I'm lost at how much power I need it to handle.  I've been looking at speaker power handling, resistance and I can't quite figure out exactly what I need in terms of capacity for the AV receiver.  Any advice is appreciated.  My setup:
(2) R12S 12" subs ( self powered )
(2) r15m bookshelfs.                      85W/340W
(2) r14s surround                            50/200
(2) r28f towers.                               150/600
(1)R25c.                                          100/400

The ratings here are the continuous / peak power for the speakers, all are 8ohm.  Hard wired setup, but if Bluetooth can connect an iPod or something I'd prolly want that too.  Thanks!  Rock on
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#1]
whats your budget? do you need hdcp 2.2?

marantz 5011 is a nice starting place
or denon 2300
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
whats your budget? do you need hdcp 2.2?

marantz 5011 is a nice starting place
or denon 2300
View Quote
Budget not really an issue.  I just want to buy the appropriate receiver and not cheap out or over buy for the system I have.

Not sure what the hdcp 2.2 is so I guess prolly not much of a requirement.

Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Nvrmind drunk... thought needed preamp
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you ever plan to run height channels (Atmos or DTS:X)?

If not, a Marantz 5011 or Denon 4300 will work perfectly.  If you do plan on 2 or 4 height channels in the future a 7011 would be the better route.  I can't recommend the Denon 6300 because of number of confirmed problems.

Ive used Klipsch speakers with Yamaha, Denon and Marantz AVRs and they all sound great with my ear leaning slightly to the Marantz.

Klipsch are very efficient speakers so you shouldn't have any issues with power.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:48:34 AM EDT
[#5]
hdcp 2.2 is the copyright protection used in 4k content

most newer models have it

if you dont need it you can save alot by getting an older unit (2 years or so)

i got my factory refurb/warrantied denon from accessoriesforless at 1/4 the actual cost, it was 1yr old model at the time
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:49:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Ignore the wattage output rating on all modern receivers.  They will all push your speakers to SPL levels that are dangerous.  Just pick one that has all of the features you want.

All of your speakers are 8 ohm so you don't need a 4 ohm capable receiver.  All new ones have HDMI switching.  

I'm still running a Pioneer 7.1 receiver from 2005 and it works great.  It didn't like my 4 ohm speakers so I used the preamp outputs to add some Crown XLS1000 amps.  Other than that it has been a great receiver.  The MCACC auto calibration is great.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I have to update my receiver and am probably gonna go with the Sony STR 1080
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have to update my receiver and am probably gonna go with the Sony STR 1080
View Quote
WOW, I have an old Sony receiver at home that has a Similar Model number from dang, gotta be more than 20 years ago... 
Front are like 125 or 150x 2
Center 125 or whatever

Rear is like only 50 or 60 and its Mono, it had Dolby, but not 5.1 I guess....

For just pushing some crappy house speakers and music or basic tv its still great....  No where near as impressive as stuff from today... Just the fact it still works like new for as many years as we've cranked the crap out of it...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top