Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2017 8:54:19 PM EDT
I'm putting together a second system to be used in the family room for both music and movies. I already have a pair of Atlantic technology surrounds and a sub that I'd like to use. Any recommendations for center, left and right speakers? Looking for bookshelf speakers and a lower profile center since it will be sitting on top of the stand just under the TV. Would like to keep the budget to around $500 but could go as stretch as high as $1,000 if necessary.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:04:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I recently put together a second system for a gaming area by repurposing an older AVR, subwoofer, etc but new LCR speakers.  I used Klipsch RB-61 Reference bookshelf speakers for LR and a Klipsch RC-52 Reference for C.   They should fit your budget but not not sure the center channel will meet your physical cabinet requirements (its fairly bulky, imo.)  I mounted it with a Pinpoint AM-15 mount.  

Im relatively pleased with the result.  It can in no way keep up with the main system but thats a completely different class and budget and not a fair comparison.    

There are pics in the link below that show how big the center channel cabinet is.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_136/1977252_There-is-light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel---Updated--This-is-now-a-build-thread-with-lots-of-pics-.html
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I like your theater room, makes me miss mine but I had to move. I am moving my main system to a second home. Like you, I am not up to duplicating it. I have Dynaudio speakers with a Rythmik 15" servo sub. Electronics are Emotiva.

I plan to repurpose my Pioneer Elite 94Thx receiver with the Atlantic Tech speakers mentioned in the OP. I auditioned some Marin Logan Motion 15 bookshelves and a motion 8 center. They sound great for what they are but I really would like to be closer to $500 so I am resisting.

The Klipsch RC 42ii would be a better fit from a size perspective. Other than that your suggestion is definitely worth considering.

Sound wise would you call them warm or bright. Do you like them with music as well as movies?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like your theater room, makes me miss mine but I had to move. I am moving my main system to a second home. Like you, I am not up to duplicating it. I have Dynaudio speakers with a Rythmik 15" servo sub. Electronics are Emotiva.

I plan to repurpose my Pioneer Elite 94Thx receiver with the Atlantic Tech speakers mentioned in the OP. I auditioned some Marin Logan Motion 15 bookshelves and a motion 8 center. They sound great for what they are but I really would like to be closer to $500 so I am resisting.

The Klipsch RC 42ii would be a better fit from a size perspective. Other than that your suggestion is definitely worth considering.

Sound wise would you call them warm or bright. Do you like them with music as well as movies?
View Quote
They definitely aren't warm but I don't know if I would characterize them as bright.  Detailed is a word I would use to describe them over bright.  

But to be honest I don't listen to much music on them.  I listened to a couple reference cds on them just to see how they compared.  They are mainly used for my son's console gaming so he doesn't kill the bulb in the projector.

Thanks for the compliment on the theater room.  I use it just about every night either for movies, music or both.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I pulled the trigger on some Martin Logan Motion 15 (L/R) and Motion 8 (C). It was more than I wanted to spend but hey, I'm worth it lol.

They should be here weds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top