What is it?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I think I'll try this....

1:1mix of Rustoleum Metallic Accents Sterling Silver and Interior Flat/Matte "Pebble Grey" has worked well being rolled directly onto a smoothed wall.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Only thing I can add is make sure the wall is absolutely as smooth as possible and use the smallest nap roller you can find (or better yet, spray it.)  You don't want any 'texture' to the surface like a traditional painted wall has.

I started out with a painted screen many years ago using Screen Goo.  (It used to be cheap-now they want as much as a fixed screen!)  If definitely worked but there is a fairly significant difference between painted screens and screen material.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:21:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Only thing I can add is make sure the wall is absolutely as smooth as possible and use the smallest nap roller you can find (or better yet, spray it.)  You don't want any 'texture' to the surface like a traditional painted wall has.

I started out with a painted screen many years ago using Screen Goo.  (It used to be cheap-now they want as much as a fixed screen!)  If definitely worked but there is a fairly significant difference between painted screens and screen material.
View Quote
Ok so where can I find relatively cheap screen material?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ok so where can I find relatively cheap screen material?
View Quote
What is your budget and what size screen?

Screens really aren't that expensive.  You should be able to pick up a 100-106" Silver Ticket screen for under 200 on Amazon.

The screen material is available for the same size for under 50.  Similar issue if you go the DIY route with screen material.  You have to make sure that it's pulled extremely taut evenly across the whole surface.  Any wrinkles or waves show up badly once you bounce a 1000+ lumen light off of it. So you'll have to construct some kind of framing to pull the material tight.

A third option is hit the forums looking for a used screen.  As an example, I sold my old 106" ST for 25 bucks on CL.  It had a mark on it that was barely visible (kids swinging light saber , otherwise in perfect shape.  Some kid bought it so he could game on it.  Guys are always chasing the perfect picture and selling their old screens to fund their new so you should be able to find some pretty good deals out there.

Speaking as someone that started out with a DIY paint screen, it would be my last option.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info. I'll pass on painting the wall.

Can I get some of the material, cut to size, then hang from the ceiling/wall or something like that?

I have a 84 inch pulldown I've had for years, but it's not big enough now. I used to have it hanging for the ceiling.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info. I'll pass on painting the wall.

Can I get some of the material, cut to size, then hang from the ceiling/wall or something like that?

I have a 84 inch pulldown I've had for years, but it's not big enough now. I used to have it hanging for the ceiling.
View Quote
You can.  Just make sure it lays perfectly flat.

What you could do is go to Lowes or some place similar and get those metal dowel stock they have.  Or even like threaded rod.  And then somehow loop the bottom of the screen (like a sew a hem in it or something similar) and insert the dowel/rod to act as a weight to pull the screen material taut.  That should give you a nice flat, wrinkle-free surface.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I built my 103" screen with 1x2 wood from Lowe's and blackout fabric.  I don't have more than $40 in materials.  I splurged and added a black border made from door casing which ran my total to $75.

You can see the corner of the screen in this picture.  I used a decorative corner instead of 45 degree angles.  Attachment Attached File

Here's my ugly mug in front of the screen frame.  It's held on the wall using a French cleat.  Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top