Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2015 12:19:45 PM EDT
Just watched this one. There was alot going on in that movie. Interesting choice of robot style...not sure why they went that route but they were definitely a good addition to the movie.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#1]
we saw it in December on an imax screen.  wife and sons both enjoyed it.  the robots were interesting. also enjoyed the cameo.  I thought it was really good.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I really liked it.  From beginning to end, it was excellent.  The science was certainly stretched, but they did it well, in my opinion.

I'm looking forward to watching it again when it's available on blu-ray.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Just watched it today and I liked it. Very confusing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I have Just One Question I have to ask about the movie:

With all the conspiracy theory's and such going on ALL THE TIME....

What about the probable multiple millions that decide to stay of Earth?
So many on this site believe Obungler wasn't born in the Hawaiian Islands (Where were the Birthers Prior to Hiz Nomination???) that the thought of moving to another planet is merely one more Conspiracy Theory.  "There is nothing wrong with this planet!  It's just another Conspiracy to (Fill in the blank yourself)!"

Add all of the ethnic/religious/racial/national/Other bigotry that runs rampant....Iran says Israel must stay/Iran stays, Israel/American hoax; Shiite/Sunni/Sufism/etc. Which are the True Followers of Islam?  Buddhism, Shinto, Protestant, Catholic, Druids and I don't know what else to name. Who is going and why another sect is staying.

This can be condensed into If they're going I'm staying/If they're staying I'm going.

And then there is the tricky question of those that are in jail.  Some most definitely deserve to stay behind while many others are doing a One Time Stupid and deserve to come along.  How do one judge the already Judged?

What about those that just want to stay on Earth no matter what is going to happen?  How do you convince them to go?  Shades of the TV Series The Last Man on Earth.

TL;DR Who decides to go or stay?  And what if they Want to stay?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just watched it today and I liked it. Very confusing.
View Quote

They were in space the whole time.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#6]
It was a really good movie.  Had to read a little afterwards to make sure everything was clear.  My only issue was with Christopher Nolan:

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Where were the Birthers Prior to Hiz Nomination???[/span].
View Quote

This information was out there in plain view for all who looked, along with his anti-American agenda.  Everything about this guy was known.  You just had to look.  

If you expected the main stream media to broadcast it and help his opposition, well,...

We now return control of your TV set to you.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:00:40 AM EDT
[#8]
My friend said he liked it.  Three hours long?  Uhhhhhhh
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:21:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

My friend said he liked it.  Three hours long?  Uhhhhhhh
View Quote

I thought it was worthy of the long run time.

Very interesting film, easily one of my favorites in the past 10-15 years.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I watched it last night, it was a pretty cool movie.  Not what I expected from hearing reviews on the radio, I thought the aging difference was going to be caused by a faster-than-light spaceship.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I watched it last night, it was a pretty cool movie.  Not what I expected from hearing reviews on the radio, I thought the aging difference was going to be caused by a faster-than-light spaceship.  
View Quote

Heh , heh!  Not possible (as far as we know).  This was even explained in the movie.

When they mentioned 1 hour on the ship = 7 years on Earth, I had to run a calculation of their speed to see what could cause such a time dilation.  As it turns out, to get that time ratio, you need to be going faster than 0.999999999 times the speed of light.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I watched a few nights ago.  I was totally underwhelmed and even disappointed.  It seemed like nothing more than a "global warming", "man is the root of all evil" scenario wrapped up in a fancy gift wrap.  It also deifies mankind, which turned me off like a switch.

Overall, I'd say I didn't care for it, at all.  <-- that's very strange for me to say about a movie like this, but it is true.

I think the robots were my favorite part of the movie.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I watched a few nights ago.  I was totally underwhelmed and even disappointed.  It seemed like nothing more than a "global warming", "man is the root of all evil" scenario wrapped up in a fancy gift wrap.  It also deifies mankind, which turned me off like a switch.

Overall, I'd say I didn't care for it, at all.  <-- that's very strange for me to say about a movie like this, but it is true.

View Quote
You don't read a lot of science fiction do you?

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:25:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was expecting that but i think they left it pretty ambiguous. The reality is that our planet has a finite amount of time that life can survive and evolve. One day the ride will be over whether it be at our hand, the sun's or some other cosmic event.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 12:53:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I was expecting that but i think they left it pretty ambiguous. The reality is that our planet has a finite amount of time that life can survive and evolve. One day the ride will be over whether it be at our hand, the sun's or some other cosmic event.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I watched a few nights ago.  I was totally underwhelmed and even disappointed.  It seemed like nothing more than a "global warming", "man is the root of all evil" scenario snip

Yep, the main mechanism for which the story exists is entropy. They say it pretty concisely, constant war took it's toll on infrastructure, society went though a general collapse leading people to an agrarian existence which was bound for failure due to a lack of crop diversity.

It literally happened in the 30's with the dust bowl, so it's not even a baseless mechanic for a story.  Not only that the story is framed in the beginning when the dude is all "Should have planted corn like the rest of us".  Later, it's found their staple crop of corn will likely fail as well.

This is no different than the Irish potato famine, where there was plenty of available land but food was being shipped to England, so when the staple crop of potato failed, everyone was out of thier ass and had to...

Emigrate.

In this story, it's off planet instead of to America.
The movie might as well be "future history" .

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#16]
tag
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yep, the main mechanism for which the story exists is entropy. They say it pretty concisely, constant war took it's toll on infrastructure, society went though a general collapse leading people to an agrarian existence which was bound for failure due to a lack of crop diversity.

It literally happened in the 30's with the dust bowl, so it's not even a baseless mechanic for a story.  Not only that the story is framed in the beginning when the dude is all "Should have planted corn like the rest of us".  Later, it's found their staple crop of corn will likely fail as well.

This is no different than the Irish potato famine, where there was plenty of available land but food was being shipped to England, so when the staple crop of potato failed, everyone was out of thier ass and had to...

Emigrate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I watched a few nights ago.  I was totally underwhelmed and even disappointed.  It seemed like nothing more than a "global warming", "man is the root of all evil" scenario snip

Emigrate.

Very good insight. Thank you for that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It literally happened in the 30's with the dust bowl, so it's not even a baseless mechanic for a story. Not only that the story is framed in the beginning when the dude is all "Should have planted corn like the rest of us". Later, it's found their staple crop of corn will likely fail as well.

Emigrate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I watched a few nights ago. I was totally underwhelmed and even disappointed. It seemed like nothing more than a "global warming", "man is the root of all evil" scenario snip

It literally happened in the 30's with the dust bowl, so it's not even a baseless mechanic for a story. Not only that the story is framed in the beginning when the dude is all "Should have planted corn like the rest of us". Later, it's found their staple crop of corn will likely fail as well.

Emigrate.

If you can survive in a space bound biodome you can build one on earth twice as easy. Earth was obviously having issues, but just because the exterior habitat was going to be untenable in a few years doesn't mean we have to leave the atmosphere to survive.

Given enough time of course we will have to leave this rock.

ETA: The part I enjoyed the most was it's commentary on the depravity of man.  Plan A is a ruse to get everyone working on Plan B, because no one is really willing to work on propogation of the species if it's not for themself.  Even the mastermind of the two plan system is working on Plan B to save his own daughter and not everyone else.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#19]
I thought the concept was good, but the movie just tried way too hard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top