Posted: 12/6/2014 5:58:15 PM EDT
Hello.
Having issues w/ laptop to receiver via hdmi

Laptop is Dell Vostro 3700
Nvidia Gforce GT 330M

Receiver is Yamaha RX-V661
HDMI on screen is lit up in red to show its reading HDMI input signal

TV is Samsung  something or other newer LCD

When the laptop is connected to the receiver via hdmi, there is no sound. The picture to the tv is fine. Both display monitor resolutions are set to hdmi standards (either 720p or 1080p)
The option to use HDMI as default does NOT appear in the Playback Devices window.
I've disconnected, reconnected, powered down, powered up, reset, restarted, different cables, different ports on receiver...etc etc

Now, I stay in a lot of hotels and I never have this issue when connecting straight to a TV. The sound either works on the first go or I simply check the "use as default sound" under HDMI in the Playback Devices window.

I had this combo, laptop to receiver, produce sound 1 time. I didn't do anything special besides the normal check boxes and always the same cable I have now.

questions, comments, suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you updated your video drivers?  Nvidia has a sound driver for HDMI.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 9:15:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you updated your video drivers?  Nvidia has a sound driver for HDMI.
View Quote

I wish it were that easy, but yes, ALL my hardware drivers are up to date.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 12:31:51 AM EDT
[#3]
You have to change your sound settings.  You want to enable the HDMI audio output.

In lower right corner is a speaker icon.  Select and then right click Right click Playback Devices.  

Select the HDMI output and then select Properties.  Right click to open a box and select Enable from list at bottom of window.

With HDMI audio enabled, your video and audio will both get ported to the HDMI output when the HDMI device (AV receiver) is detected via the cable.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You have to change your sound settings.  You want to enable the HDMI audio output.
In lower right corner is a speaker icon.  Select and then right click Right click Playback Devices.  
Select the HDMI output and then select Properties.  Right click to open a box and select Enable from list at bottom of window.
With HDMI audio enabled, your video and audio will both get ported to the HDMI output when the HDMI device (AV receiver) is detected via the cable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you for trying, but if you read the OP, you would have seen this:
Quoted:
The option to use HDMI as default does NOT appear in the Playback Devices window.

To make things clearer, I am not a computer noob. I know how everything SHOULD be connected, checked and set for this to work, in a normal setting.
I was hoping someone else has had or heard of an issue like this and could help.
The TV shows up in Devices and Printers when the HDMI is connected through the receiver.
Ive done a device search and everything in my network shows up EXCEPT the receiver.

After a long time searching and reading, last night, It seems to be a PC to AVR handshake issue.
Some work arounds have been brought to attention, but if you don't use this combination all the time, it doesn't seem worth it.

So, for now, it seems I'll have to go w/o.

Link Posted: 12/7/2014 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Some recivers only pass through sound. I have to loop back the sound on mine from the tv.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#6]
No no.
Its a windows thing.
Every device I've connected to the AVR, through HDMI, works flawlessly, w/ the exception of a windows system.

When 2 devices are connected via HDMI, they have to send some packets back and forth to recognize one another and in turn the proper options will be available in the sound menu to select HDMI.
Well, sometimes they need a delay, which isn't in the coding. When the instant recognition doesn't take place, instead of continually searching, windows sends out an empty signal and sound never gets broadcasted.

Obviously, this isn't the case with all AVR to PC connections. It seems Onkyo, Yamaha and some Denon are known for this issue.

The easiest "fix" I saw was to block pin 19 on the HDMI plug. About 99% of ppl say this works.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I wasn't suggesting you set HDMI as DEFAULT.  Your responses seem very snarky, when people are only trying to help.

Step #1 is to ENABLE audio output via HDMI.  Have you done that?  Does HDMI appear as an Audio Playback Devices option?  Is it enabled?

Have you used the Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Connect to an External Display?  Does your TV/AVR show up as an option in the pull down menu?

Connect the two via the HDMI cable.  Use the AV receiver's front panel knob and manually switch away from the PC's input channel and then back to it.  This will force the handshake process and often does the trick on mine.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 9:09:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wasn't suggesting you set HDMI as DEFAULT.  Your responses seem very snarky, when people are only trying to help.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My intent was nothing more than to find good info, I just dont like to repeat myself. I also wanted to be clear that all the run-of-the-mill items had been covered.

Quoted:
Step #1 is to ENABLE audio output via HDMI.  Have you done that?  Does HDMI appear as an Audio Playback Devices option?  Is it enabled?

I already stated, twice, that HDMI does NOT come up in Playback.
Setting it as Default, while not the same as Enabling it, will achieve the same result.

Quoted:
Have you used the Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Connect to an External Display?  Does your TV/AVR show up as an option in the pull down menu?

>Connect to an External Display
I don't believe I've ever seen this path, not in Win7 at least.
My TV as well as all other devices on my network, sans AVR, show up in Devices and Printers.

Quoted:
Connect the two via the HDMI cable.  Use the AV receiver's front panel knob and manually switch away from the PC's input channel and then back to it.  This will force the handshake process and often does the trick on mine.

This covered in the OP as "I've disconnected, reconnected, powered down, powered up, reset, restarted, different cables, different ports on receiver...etc etc"

Again, I appreciate the help, I just  have had enough of the "geek squad" have you tried this blatantly obvious fix.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Dial back on the dick mode just a bit.

Troubleshooting steps are just that. Steps.

They might be asking you if you've done things that you've already done a million times. It doesn't cost you anything to double check, and you just might find something you missed before. Once you get past the basics, there's more stuff to come. But you're not gonna get very far with a bad attitude.

In any case, it's no reason to be rude. If you want help, try being nice to the people that are trying to help you.

I was originally going to try, but after reading over your responses, I replaced my helpful post with this.

Link Posted: 12/7/2014 10:42:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow, real nice!

And im the dick?

Next time feel free to not say anything at all and stick to GD.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, am I even bothering with this schmuck?

Changing inputs is different than plugging, unplugging, etc which you tried.  Try it.

Look under W7 Control Panel for the path: Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Display> Connect to an External Display

Report back on the results,... or not.  It's your choice.  After all, we are just the "Geek Squad."
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And im the dick?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And im the dick?

Yes, you are.  You ARE behaving like the GD population.  

Try being polite.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 11:34:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Im a dick because I gave a lucid and informative OP?
Im being a dick because I'm being asked questions that the answers to were provided inbe OP?

I've said hello and thank you. I even went so far as to acknowledge and explain my brevity.
Yet I was still met with elementary rhetoric.

Every one of my posts contained pertinent information.  
Zach3d offered NOTHING whatsoever.

Quoted:
Changing inputs is different than plugging, unplugging, etc which you tried.  Try it.
View Quote

I apologize for not being clea, but this was covered under "etc, etc".
I even reassigned inputs and double checked any setable values.

Quoted:
Look under W7 Control Panel for the path: Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Display> Connect to an External Display
View Quote

The Display path was missing so I assumed it was meant as written.
Tv always comes up, works and has all options available, other than any mention in the Playback tab.

While you may feel indifferent to my "attitude", your contributions are appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:36:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I do not feel indifferent to it.  I am repulsed by it.  Goodbye and take care.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 7:00:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I do not feel indifferent to it.  I am repulsed by it.  Goodbye and take care.
View Quote

Wow.
I'm amazed how you guys manage to survive if this is how you deal with words on a screen.

Thanks for...nothing....I guess?
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Try setting it dual display.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top