BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2014 6:20:29 PM EDT
Teaser trailer can be viewed here.

Link to trailer
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:09:52 AM EDT
[#1]
So, guys, what do you think?  Like it?  Hate it?  Not sure?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#2]
So obviously people have definitely forgotten about this sub-forum.  I think I saw 3 threads on it in GD.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 7:15:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I think the trailer is bland. It doesn't show a lot for me to get hyped up on

I've never been a huge star wars fan, but always enjoy watching the movies.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 7:41:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Seeing the X-Wings and the Falcon got me charged up a bit, but otherwise...meh.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 7:52:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Not bad, definitely got me interest. Love the lightsaber with the hilt.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Dupes don't count if they're in other forums, especially GD.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Shamelessly stolen from one of the GD threads.

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Is that pilot with the helmet on a much older Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill)?
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought the Xwings flying low over the water was cool and the rest of the special effects and all. But it's hard for me to get too excited about it, because I'm a huge Star Wars geek and I've spent the last two decades reading all (and I do mean all) the expanded universe books and loving every minute of it. But with this film series they are entirely throwing away all the characters and developments/plot points that have happened, and that's very upsetting to me because there is NO reason for them to have done that. The most recent book took place with the original characters at about the age they are in real life so they easily could have carried on.

Sorry for the mini-rant. I did enjoy Abram's Star Trek, so he might make a pretty shiny movie; it's just hard for me to get on board.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought the Xwings flying low over the water was cool and the rest of the special effects and all. But it's hard for me to get too excited about it, because I'm a huge Star Wars geek and I've spent the last two decades reading all (and I do mean all) the expanded universe books and loving every minute of it. But with this film series they are entirely throwing away all the characters and developments/plot points that have happened, and that's very upsetting to me because there is NO reason for them to have done that. The most recent book took place with the original characters at about the age they are in real life so they easily could have carried on.

Sorry for the mini-rant. I did enjoy Abram's Star Trek, so he might make a pretty shiny movie; it's just hard for me to get on board.
View Quote

Question, do all the expanded universe books by all the various authors correspond?

Didn't Lucas have a whole nine film saga mapped out prior to making the first movie?  Did the book authors take that into consideration?

Don't read me as taking sides, I'm just trying to understand.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Question, do all the expanded universe books by all the various authors correspond?

Didn't Lucas have a whole nine film saga mapped out prior to making the first movie?  Did the book authors take that into consideration?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't speak to the comics as I never got into those; but when it comes to the novels, yes the vast majority of them were collaborations by the multitude of authors. There have been interviews with some of them about the process where they often had meetings about how they were handling plot points and all that. Especially when it came to specific series'. For instance the New Jedi Order series was the biggest continuous series and it was 19 books long and had 5 or 6 different authors IIRC. There were MAJOR events in that series and a lot of collaborating amongst them. If one looks hard enough you can find some continuity clashes in the EU, but for how many stories there are it's surprisingly few. As far as George, his plans are tough to figure as he's contradicted himself a couple times when it comes to that.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Hard to say...trailer is just a cock-tease and not a very good one at that.  Time will tell.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of the EU books tie together in detail with virtually no problem.  A few minor detail things that would require an uber nerd to even notice, but nothing that would affect the storyline of other books.

I understand Lucas has a rough outline for a nine film arc, but no specific detail.  This outline was not shared with the authors.

There are a few things in the newest films that countered EU writings, such as the origin of Boba Fett, but mostly pretty close.  Most EU books occur after the original series, so these newest films throwing out all of that in the upcoming films is disappointing.

A thrawn trilogy film would be good or something with an eclipse class super star destroyer would be cool.  Can you imagine a well made scene of the Lusankya leaving the surface of coruscant?

- Nw-
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Most of the EU books tie together in detail with virtually no problem.  A few minor detail things that would require an uber nerd to even notice, but nothing that would affect the storyline of other books.

I understand Lucas has a rough outline for a nine film arc, but no specific detail.  This outline was not shared with the authors.

There are a few things in the newest films that countered EU writings, such as the origin of Boba Fett, but mostly pretty close.  Most EU books occur after the original series, so these newest films throwing out all of that in the upcoming films is disappointing.

A thrawn trilogy film would be good or something with an eclipse class super star destroyer would be cool.  Can you imagine a well made scene of the Lusankya leaving the surface of coruscant?

- Nw-
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Nw-

OK, I understand better the EU concerns then.

Sorry, Haven't read any of the books.  I do enjoy the original three movies though.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Can you imagine a well made scene of the Lusankya leaving the surface of coruscant?

- Nw-

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:43:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Sorry, Haven't read any of the books.  I do enjoy the original three movies though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Nw-

Yeah NW summed it up better than I did; but trust us there could have been some amazing movies made out of the stories already published. I would say this is an instance where you're lucky in that you like the original movies and aren't familiar with the EU. I suspect that Abrams' movie will be a good one for folks like you. I'm not even a Star Trek fan but I liked what he did with that material.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:44:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you imagine a well made scene of the Lusankya leaving the surface of coruscant?

- Nw-
http://th04.deviantart.net/fs39/PRE/f/2008/357/0/0/Lusankia_by_darefi.jpg

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120405070808/starwars/images/d/d6/Lusankya_vs_Reaper.jpg

That's some awesome artwork. Where'd you get that?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:35:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

- Nw-
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Nw-

the x wing series would make a great animated or even live action series ala clone wars or rebels.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:12:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Nw-
http://th04.deviantart.net/fs39/PRE/f/2008/357/0/0/Lusankia_by_darefi.jpg

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120405070808/starwars/images/d/d6/Lusankya_vs_Reaper.jpg

Google.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:46:17 AM EDT
[#21]
It was my understanding that Hamill, Ford, Fisher, as well as Kenney Baker and the actors who played Chewbacca and C3PO were at least making cameos. That was the only real reason I was hopeful for this movie. This was more than just internet rumour, it was reported as being the case by major networks. Maybe I just hallucinated this.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 3:05:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hard to say...trailer is just a cock-tease and not a very good one at that.  Time will tell.
View Quote

It's called a teaser trailer for a reason.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think die hard Star Wars fans should bring their own lube.  JJ is going to fuck you too.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I think die hard Star Wars fans should bring their own lube.  JJ is going to fuck you too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Eh, the difference is that JJ is a die-hard SW fan; he's not a trekkie, though. So far he's hitting close to the McQuarrie designs, so there's [a new] hope.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a small theory that the sith in the forest with the bad ass red saber is Possibly Luke...
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

LOLOLOL!  

That was better than the trailer, itself (almost).   <--- sacrilege?  I think not!
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

the x wing series would make a great animated or even live action series ala clone wars or rebels.
View Quote

Hell yeah! I've always thought the New Jedi Order series, about the Yuzhan Vong, would make for a great TV show. Since it was 19 books and spanned either 3 or 5 years (I forget which), there would be plenty of storytelling there.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 1:53:28 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I have a small theory that the sith in the forest with the bad ass red saber is Possibly Luke...
View Quote
I suppose that could be a possibility.  That's based sole on some rumored plot points.

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 5:21:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Yeah, throwing out all the EU stuff was lame.

I'm still not over Anakin Solo's death. That has pissed me off for years!

He was way to powerful to be left alive though, the YV wouldn't have stood a chance with him alive, so it had to be or the series would have ended quickly.

Edit: to say fuck those Voxyn beasts! (I know, I'm a nerd), oh and can we see some yellow Lightsabers now? Is that to much to ask? (I know I'm going back to KOTOR there, but that would be dope!)
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I suppose that could be a possibility.  That's based sole on some rumored plot points.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm leaning more towards it being Jacen Solo...
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In one of the other threads, a person had seen on a leaked website of some sort, that is was actually a force sensitive dude who was tracking down or collecting ancient Sith artifacts, hence the Darth Revan look of the character. Of course, that could be total bullshit too. Who knows, exciting to contemplate though.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 12:15:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

if they're dumping the eu, wouldn't that include the darth caedus story line?
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 12:34:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Is the Extended Universe an "authorized" story line or is it just so much "fan fiction"?
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 1:35:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Is the Extended Universe an "authorized" story line or is it just so much "fan fiction"?
View Quote

When Disney bought it, they declared the EU non canon.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 1:39:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

as i understand it, george had pronounced it canon, except for parts that disagreed with the movies...most people were way off when it came to the clone wars, for example, but additions like thrawn, talon karrde, mara jade, corran horn, the solo kids, jedi praxeum, etc. were all given canon status.  that has all been revoked now, but the elements are available for future stories.

from wikia:

On April 25, 2014, Lucasfilm Ltd. announced that in preparation for the upcoming sequel trilogy, the Expanded Universe would not appear in any future Star Wars materials; past tales of the Expanded Universe will be printed under the Star Wars Legends banner, and a new continuity has been established that consists only of the original six films, the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film, and all future material from that point onward. Though past elements of the Expanded Universe have been declared non-canon as a whole, they remain a resource for future Star Wars material to reference elements of the EU, thus bringing these elements into the new continuity as canon.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 3:07:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

as i understand it, george had pronounced it canon, except for parts that disagreed with the movies...most people were way off when it came to the clone wars, for example, but additions like thrawn, talon karrde, mara jade, corran horn, the solo kids, jedi praxeum, etc. were all given canon status.  that has all been revoked now, but the elements are available for future stories.

from wikia:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

from wikia:

On April 25, 2014, Lucasfilm Ltd. announced that in preparation for the upcoming sequel trilogy, the Expanded Universe would not appear in any future Star Wars materials; past tales of the Expanded Universe will be printed under the Star Wars Legends banner, and a new continuity has been established that consists only of the original six films, the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film, and all future material from that point onward. Though past elements of the Expanded Universe have been declared non-canon as a whole, they remain a resource for future Star Wars material to reference elements of the EU, thus bringing these elements into the new continuity as canon.

Jeez, reading that made my head hurt and I'm still not sure what it means.

I am a Star Wars movie fan.  I even like Jar Jar Binks.  I am very happy to have never seen any of the Clone Wars stuff or read any of those books.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 3:20:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I am a Star Wars movie fan.  I even like Jar Jar Binks.  I am very happy to have never seen any of the Clone Wars stuff or read any of those books.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

from wikia:

as I understand it, the EU stuff is no longer canon, but writers are free to use characters and info from it that agrees with the 6 movies and clone wars. for animated series clone wars was done very well and was worth watching.  i also enjoy rebels so far.  

aside from being way off on the clones, timothy zahn's books were very good, as were michael stackpole's x wing series (continued story of wedge antilles and rogue squadron) and i, jedi (corran horn's story) and r.a. salvatore's vector prime.  other books ranged from decent stories to poorly written fan fiction...barbara hambly's weren't that great and some of the vong war books weren't either.  aaron allston's wraith squadron books added some good humour and action as well.  i'm a huge fan of the movies, but hated jar jar, gungans, and the midichlorians.  i also wish rotj had featured wookiees instead of ewoks as intended, but i can live with it better than i can the dance scene at jabba's palace or digitally adding hayden christiansen to the funeral pyre scene.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 5:26:09 AM EDT
[#40]
I hope this upcoming film is worthy of its film ancestors.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:06:37 AM EDT
[#41]
it's got to better than I, II & III.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 2:54:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Stupid BullShit like the Yuzhan Vong is why Disney scrapped the EU.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 3:05:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

as I understand it, the EU stuff is no longer canon, but writers are free to use characters and info from it that agrees with the 6 movies and clone wars. for animated series clone wars was done very well and was worth watching.  i also enjoy rebels so far.  

aside from being way off on the clones, timothy zahn's books were very good, as were michael stackpole's x wing series (continued story of wedge antilles and rogue squadron) and i, jedi (corran horn's story) and r.a. salvatore's vector prime.  other books ranged from decent stories to poorly written fan fiction...barbara hambly's weren't that great and some of the vong war books weren't either.  aaron allston's wraith squadron books added some good humour and action as well.  i'm a huge fan of the movies, but hated jar jar, gungans, and the midichlorians.  i also wish rotj had featured wookiees instead of ewoks as intended, but i can live with it better than i can the dance scene at jabba's palace or digitally adding hayden christiansen to the funeral pyre scene.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

from wikia:

Mostly this, but R.A. Salvatore should have never touched a Star Wars book and I like R.A. Salvatore novels.

I want Star Wars to be more like the Empire Strikes back (and Stackpole's X-wing series).  I want WAR in space with ships and lasers and men who shoot first.  I do not want child heroes, goofy characters, cuddly teddy bears-unless they eat people, actors that cant be bothered to care about their lines.  I better see scorch marks from blasters, planet shaking explosions, power hungry creepy Sith assholes and dead people in these new films.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 3:41:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Stupid BullShit like the Yuzhan Vong is why Disney scrapped the EU.
View Quote

the initial portrayal of the vong in vector prime wasn't bad.  it was a new race with strength comparable to a wookiee that was a blank spot in the force...Luke was powerful enough by then that he needed that kind of a challenge and it made for some good lightsaber/amphistaff combat.  as time went on and other writers tried to explain the science or come up with a vong bioversion of EVERYTHING in the star wars universe, it got stupid.  for armor made from living crabs with lightsaber resistant shells, i can suspend disbelief, growing shells for buildings, organic ships, etc. were harder to swallow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top