Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/22/2014 3:48:33 AM EDT
I am so looking forward to this next installment.  What a great set of movies these are (all six of them, really).

If you haven't yet seen the latest trailers, you should check them out, especially the last one.

Supposedly, a trailer for Star Wars: Episode VII will be shown in theaters before screenings of The Hobbit when it is released in December.

Here is a link to a music video by Billy Boyd, who sings the final song that plays during the rolling of the credits.  It contains clips from all six movies.  These final songs have always been a special treat and this one is no different.  It's worth the few minutes.

Link to TORN - scroll to bottom of page for the video.

What a great set of stories these are.  We now have the books, the movies and the soundtrack CD's - Enya, Emiliana Torrini, Annie Lennox and now Billy Boyd (Peregrine "Pippin" Took).
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:23:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm really excited to see it too. I've enjoyed all the LOTR and Hobbit movies a lot.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:58:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't wait. I wonder if they'll ever do movies on The Silmarillion.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:02:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I wasn't aware of Boyd's musical abilities. I like the song!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:28:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I wasn't aware of Boyd's musical abilities. I like the song!
View Quote

He also sang a song during Return of the King.  If you recall, Denethor requests Pippin sing for entertainment as Denethor ate his meal.

"Home is behind the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

He also sang the lively duet with Merry while dancing on a table top.

Oh, you can search far and wide
You can drink the whole town dry,
But you'll never find a beer so brown
But you'll never find a beer so brown,
As the one we drink in our home town
As the one we drink in our home town  

You can keep your fancy ales,
You can drink them by the flagon,
But the only brew for the brave and true
Comes from the Green Dragon!<clink! go the mugs>

Hey! Ho! To the bottle I go.
To heal my heart and drown my woe.
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
But there still be many miles to go.

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from hill to plain.
Better than rain or rippling brook...
Is a mug of beer inside this Took!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:31:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm so in.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#6]
The Hobbit should have been a single movie, maybe two at the most. Stretching it into a trilogy with a bunch of CGI fluff for the kids is a pretty blatant cash grab.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, it can't be any worse than the others.  

I'll take my kids because, tradition.  

But I'll want my $25.00 back within the first 40 minutes.  

Fwiw, we saw the new hunger games movie last night, it was surprisingly good.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Hobbit should have been a single movie, maybe two at the most. Stretching it into a trilogy with a bunch of CGI fluff for the kids is a pretty blatant cash grab.
View Quote

This.  I don't like much of what I've seen for Bo5A.  Too busy and stretched from the original story & filled with CGI spectacle meant to sell toys.  Yawn.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Those of you who don't like the movie have my permission not to go.  You can stay home and watch Expendables 3, or some such, if that's more to your liking.  

Personally, I gave up long ago really focusing on the negative aspects of this film series.  It is altogether too easy to play the egotistical, self-righteous smarter-than-thou purist and complain about the deviations from Tolkien.  We do a lot of that here at home with each new release but it is not my or our "bottom line".  

My bottom line is that these are some really fun movies and I feel we are much better for having them than not.  I think they will now take their place amongst the other Tolkien interpretations and rank as the finest.  They have some very fine live acting and action-capture (Gollum, Azog, Bolg, Smaug).  The music is one of my favorite things in the series.  The sets and scenery and props and,... WOW!

For those of you who are interested, this movie may be a bit bittersweet.  This is the end of the road for this film series which has spanned 14 years, not including production and filming.  That is pretty epic, in itself.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Those of you who don't like the movie have my permission not to go.  You can stay home and watch Expendables 3, or some such, if that's more to your liking.  

Personally, I gave up long ago really focusing on the negative aspects of this film series.  It is altogether too easy to play the egotistical, self-righteous smarter-than-thou purist and complain about the deviations from Tolkien.  We do a lot of that here with each new release but it is not my or our "bottom line".  

My bottom line is that these are some really fun movies and I feel we are for having them than not.  I think they will now take their place amongst the other Tolkien interpretations and rank as the finest.  They have some very fine live acting and action-capture (Gollum, Azog, Bolg).  The music is one of my favorite things in the series.  The sets and sceneray and props and,... WOW!

For those of you who are interested, this movie will be bittersweet because it is the end of the road for this film series.  It spanned 14 years, not including production and filming.  That is pretty epic, in itself.
View Quote
Indeed.

The Hobbit movies may be bloated and not necessarily true to the book, but the all of the LOTR and Hobbit movies are still overall very good and some of the best of the fantasy film genre ever.  The extended LOTR trilogy is my go-to I'm-gonna-be-up-all-night-working background movie.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:43:52 PM EDT
[#11]
H
Quoted:
Indeed.

Very nicely said. I really don't have a problem with 3 movies from the book.

The Hobbit movies may be bloated and not necessarily true to the book, but the all of the LOTR and Hobbit movies are still overall very good and some of the best of the fantasy film genre ever.  The extended LOTR trilogy is my go-to I'm-gonna-be-up-all-night-working background movie.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally, I gave up long ago really focusing on the negative aspects of this film series.  It is altogether too easy to play the egotistical, self-righteous smarter-than-thou purist and complain about the deviations from Tolkien.  We do a lot of that here with each new release but it is not my or our "bottom line".  

My bottom line is that these are some really fun movies and I feel we are for having them than not.  I think they will now take their place amongst the other Tolkien interpretations and rank as the finest.  They have some very fine live acting and action-capture (Gollum, Azog, Bolg).  The music is one of my favorite things in the series.  The sets and sceneray and props and,... WOW!

For those of you who are interested, this movie will be bittersweet because it is the end of the road for this film series.  It spanned 14 years, not including production and filming.  That is pretty epic, in itself.
Indeed.

Very nicely said. I really don't have a problem with 3 movies from the book.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#12]
The world premiere was last night and the reviews are starting to come in.  

Here's a link to a very short clip from Battle of Five Armies.  It has Gandalf, Thranduil and Bilbo.  It's not a trailer, it's a clip from the film, itself.

Link to TORN
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Starting to see a recurring theme in these movies.

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Starting to see a recurring theme in these movies.
Click To View Spoiler

View Quote

Isn't it wonderful to have friends in high places?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Hopefully, they will do a DVD extra in the boxed set where they cut all the added crap (and everything they added is crap) and just show what was in the book. It won't happen. But it would be nice.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 3:40:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hopefully, they will do a DVD extra in the boxed set where they cut all the added crap (and everything they added is crap) and just show what was in the book. It won't happen. But it would be nice.
View Quote

Every movie has been released in its Theatrical Version and an Extended Edition.  IMO, the Extended Editions have never been anything but BETTER than the version released in theaters.  They are not shorter but longer (by up to ~1/2 hour longer).  The Extended Editions are all I ever watch.

I buy the Theatrical Edition only to tide me over until the EE is released.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 4:22:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Looking forward to the movie as well.  I don't think the hobbit movies are nearly as good as lotr.  They've done a few things I just don't get.  Even if it is all padding is there some legit reason why the goblin king is a comical dofus?  Somehow I never got  that impression from the books.  Also, I know budgets are tight these days, but using pretty much the same voice for smaug and the goblin king couldn't have saved all that much. For being a terror, giving him the same silly voice as the goblin king doesn't work. The storm giants were pretty cool - the bbl ride was stupid.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 1:49:49 AM EDT
[#18]
There's a few more clips and a piece which combines the trailer with the premiere night.

The clips are as interesting as the one I posted above.  

The premiere night piece claims the Battle of Five Armies is far superior even to the LOTR Battle of Pelenor Fields.  As you know the BoPF was AWESOME!  The Ride of the Rohirrim is my favorite cavalry charge of all time.  It is not possible for them to have out-done that,... is it?

New clips on TORN
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 4:55:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I've not read the books and not studied the mythology too deeply.

But, I have watched all of the extended editions quite a bit.

Did a younger Aragorn fight in the Battle of Five Armies?
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 5:20:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Aragorn was only 10 years old at the time of the Battle of Five Armies.

He was about 88 years old at the time of War of the Ring (LOTR).

He lived to be 210 years old.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:09:49 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So will the character of Aragorn (or his father) be referenced in the Battle of Five Armies?

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:20:00 AM EDT
[#22]
The Hobbit should not have been broken into three movies.  Two max.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 6:38:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I've got my tickets for next Thursday's opening.  I'm seeing it in IMAX 3D.  I don't think IMAX has 48 fps*, and I'll miss that, but I'm sure it will be AWESOME!

*  I'll just have to go see it again in a theater that does have 48 fps.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed completely.  I'm a fan of the LOTR movies, but PJ has done The Hobbit a terrible disservice.  The overuse of green screens, bloating the movie into three, filling it with mindless and unnecessary chase scenes at every turn, denying Bilbo some of the greatest and most character developing scenes from the book, reducing the terrifying greatness of Smaug to the point where he can't even handle a handful of dwarfs, a nonsensical love triangle between two elves and a dwarf, etc, etc.  So disappointing considering I know PJ could have done so much better work.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Indeed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed.

The sad damage that has been done is that the greatness of The Hobbit has been sacrificed, when PJ had the potential to do it right, and now I may never see an appropriate adaptation done in my lifetime.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Shane333, refer to the 10th post in this thread, then take your crap to another thread.  This is a thread for fans, not haters.  If you can find nothing constructive to say, go away and troll somewhere else.

We've heard all your pseudo-intellectual, purist complaints before.  It's beyond just getting old.  Perhaps, start your own "BoFA haters thread".  

Better still, go secure funding for a movie version of "The Hobbit" done in the way you'd like to see it done.  Until , then,...
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:24:23 AM EDT
[#27]
What makes you think that you're in charge?

I'm fine where I am.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:34:53 AM EDT
[#28]
I think I'll start a thread called, "Everything That's Wrong With Shane and Alan Ladd".  
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I did a few minutes research last night.  As it turns out, you CAN have 48fps IMAX in 3D and there are theaters who offer this.  That must be awesome.  Here is a link to a BotFA trailer with the cast encouraging us to go see it in IMAX because of the immersive nature of the experience.

Link to Trailer on TORN

The tickets I have are at a theater offering "just" 3D IMAX, so the battle sequences should be awesome.  The 48 fps would make them even better, so I may seek out one of those theaters.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I have read The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings more times than I can count.    I loved the lord of the rings movies.   I thought that as far as adapting the story to film went, PJ did about as good a job as was humanly possible.

I actually watched the first of the Hobbit movies (I'm a little behind, obviously) about a week ago, and had high expectations.    I was let down in a big way.  I thought it was terrible.   The reliance on high speed over the top chases and CGI was unbelievable.   The CGI looked like shit in my opinion, and when every other scene was an over-the-top flight from the bad guys scene, it diluted the ones that could have actually been powerful.    There was no suspense, and the dwarves were all too metrosexual.  You never felt like you really became attached to any particular characters.

i'll still watch the rest, but there is so much that could have been done, and PJ could have really knocked it out of the park.   Instead, I felt like the only thing missing was Will Smith.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have read The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings more times than I can count.    I loved the lord of the rings movies.   I thought that as far as adapting the story to film went, PJ did about as good a job as was humanly possible.

I actually watched the first of the Hobbit movies (I'm a little behind, obviously) about a week ago, and had high expectations.    I was let down in a big way.  I thought it was terrible.   The reliance on high speed over the top chases and CGI was unbelievable.   The CGI looked like shit in my opinion, and when every other scene was an over-the-top flight from the bad guys scene, it diluted the ones that could have actually been powerful.    There was no suspense, and the dwarves were all too metrosexual.  You never felt like you really became attached to any particular characters.

i'll still watch the rest, but there is so much that could have been done, and PJ could have really knocked it out of the park.   Instead, I felt like the only thing missing was Will Smith.
View Quote

Amazingly similar to my own thoughts.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Like I said earlier, you guys have my permission to go see some other movie.  I offered Expendables 3 but you can choose any movie you'd like more, perhaps Penguins of Madagascar.  

My family and I are going to The Hobbit on opening day to see it in IMAX 3D.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:07:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Oh no, no, no,... this is just WRONG!

LOLOLOL!!!

Steven Colbert interviews SMAUG
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Oh no, no, no,... this is just WRONG!

LOLOLOL!!!

Steven Colbert interviews SMAUG
View Quote

That was pretty awesome.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Like I said earlier, you guys have my permission to go see some other movie.  I offered Expendables 3 but you can choose any movie you'd like more, perhaps Penguins of Madagascar.  

My family and I are going to The Hobbit on opening day to see it in IMAX 3D.
View Quote

I'll probably go opening day, too.  While disappointing as far as falling short of their potential, the Hobbit movies are still fun and worth a view.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:00:10 AM EDT
[#36]
I saw it last night.  I feel the same way many of you felt about World War Z.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Got back from seeing it.

It had some good moments, but a review I read earlier summed it up perfectly:  "Overindulged".

PJ got carried away with himself.  Sadly, he also deprived some characters of their greatest moments in the book.  Beorn especially comes to mind.

Overall it was fun and IMO better than the second film, but PJ got carried away and missed the mark.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:29:11 AM EDT
[#38]
It was AWESOME!  Really, I loved it.  I'm going again, this weekend.

It was distinctly better than the second film.  

The IMAX 3D version I saw was in high frame rate.  So, the vast battle scenes were as good as can be imagined.

Click To View Spoiler

I'm trying to not say too much to avoid spoilers.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:31:03 AM EDT
[#39]
It marks the end of an era in movie making history.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It marks the end of an era in movie making history.  
View Quote

Went to see it last night.    Wasn't terrible, just forgettable.    Definitely was not the epic or classic movie it could have been.  

It is kinda bittersweet to see the end of an era.    My kids grew up with it.  Always looking forward to the next one.  

At this point, though,  it's like pulling the plug on a cancer victim.    Sad to see them go, but you are glad for everyones sake, that it's over.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#43]
We are going to see this movie again on Sunday.  As a family, we had so much fun watching it and later-on, talking about it.  It's just great.  Each movie is an event for us.  We are a family of fans - movies, books, BBC radio version, etc.  

You are right about it being like losing a friend.  It will be a sad day when they are gone, never to return.  We love these characters and the movies have provided us with a common experience and something fun and special to talk about.  Every now and then we watch them on Bluray, almost exclusively the Extended Editions.  The theatrical versions are on DVD and we can watch/listen to them in the car while driving on road trips (skiing or camping).  

My favorite scene in The Hobbit series, so far - Bilbo and Bofur, as Bilbo was trying to sneak out and go back to The Shire.  Bofur was probably my favorite dwarf.  I think it was the hat.

There are so many other great moments -
Bilbo:  "I'm a Baggins, from Bag End" <finger raised and head titlted> was another good one.
Kili: "I will not stand by while others fight our battles... for us!" <anger in his voice>

... This list could get quite long.

I do reserve the right to change my mind after I see the Extended Edition of The Hobbit III.    

I think, on Sunday, when we get home from the theater, I will play LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring.  I want to see how well they blend/transitioned to the older film.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#44]
It needed way more

Click To View Spoiler

Wouldn't a portrayal of that been way more awesome?  

Otherwise, seems like a fair movie.  I'm sure I'll end up watching it multiple times like the LOTR 3 movies, and appreciating it for a "good movie" but not the movie I would have chosen to make.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:22:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It needed way more

Otherwise, seems like a fair movie.  I'm sure I'll end up watching it multiple times like the LOTR 3 movies, and appreciating it for a "good movie" but not the movie I would have chosen to make.
View Quote

Meh!  

There is just too much "woulda, shoulda, coulda" in all these types of comments in this thread and wherever they are to be found.  

It is as simple as this - movies are different than books; nothing is perfect.  

I'm happy enough with what we've got.  I enjoy them, we enjoy them, so much and enjoy them in a way in which we have enjoyed no other movies and stories.  Star Wars was probably closest but isn't really close, at all.  In fact, the comparison between movie and book, between BBC and book, animation and book is one of the major topics of discussion.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:02:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Meh!  

There is just too much "woulda, shoulda, coulda" in all these types of comments in this thread and wherever they are to be found.  

I'm happy enough with what we've got.  I enjoy them, we enjoy them, so much and enjoy them in a way in which we have enjoyed no other movies and stories.  Star Wars was probably closest but isn't really close, at all.  In fact, the comparison between movie and book, between BBC and book, animation and book is one of the major topics of discussion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It needed way more

Meh!  

Yes and no.

Take the movie adaptations of the book Pride and Prejudice, for example.  I've had people make the same arguments that you've made, and then I ask them which version of Pride and Prejudice is the best (especially among women).  Invariably, though there are multiple versions and most of them are enjoyable to fans of the book, fans point to the same movie as the best.  It's the 1995 BBC version.  I ask, "why," and they immediately respond, "it most correctly portrays ..." and suddenly they realize what they are saying and acknowledge that I was right all along.

Now, there have been examples where mediocre books have been made into great movies through significant artistic liberties.  However, with great books such liberties almost always tend to hamstring the potential of the movie.  Doesn't mean that the movie can't still be enjoyable, but it tends to fall short of it's potential.

With LOTR, PJ's challenge was trying to fit all the material into the movies and what would have to be cut out so the rest would fit.  It made sense and overall he did a decent job.  With The Hobbit PJ did the reverse.  He nearly abandoned the original story in search of filler material to fluff out two movies into three long movies.  The difference in quality is striking, and it's not just fans pointing this out.  How many Academy awards have the Hobbit films earned?  I'm not aware of a single Oscar yet.  Yet all of the LOTR films won Oscars.  This isn't coincidence.  

So, enjoyable, but they've fallen short...not just to fans but to the professional critics as well.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:31:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So, enjoyable, but they've fallen short...not just to fans but to the professional critics as well.
View Quote

Hey, wait, I'm a fan and I am happy.  What you may mean to say is you think they've fallen short.  Maybe there's a bunch of you who feel these movies have "fallen short".  I remember endless comments of a similar sort for LOTR, as well.  For you and any others, I feel sorry that you are not able to better enjoy them.  I will still continue to enjoy them.  

Professional critics are of absolutely no importance to me.  I tend to disagree with almost everything they have to say, or at least so often that I disregard their comments.  My disagreement with them and disregard for them applies to movies they favor as well as disfavor.  Academy Awards are nice if you get them but the Academy's criteria and their past choices tend to fit right in line with my regard for professional movie reviewers - I ignore/disregard them.

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:18:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:36:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The Tunnel Boring Worms were fucking retarded.

View Quote

They seem to be a nod to the Dune books.

ETA - ... an homage.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:46:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top