Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2014 4:37:54 AM EDT
"Need" being relative.  I find myself in the market for a new TV.  I think I've settled on a 55" but there are so many options out there that I find myself sitting here staring at my computer screen like .  

Here is my situation, help me pick something.

- No cable / satellite.  For now anyway.  Using Roku so I have no need for a "smart" TV with their shitty software.  Can I save a few bucks this way?

- Will be used for gaming, PS3 / PS4.  Also, as I said, Roku for NetFlix, Amazon, Plex, etc.  A lot of hockey will also be watched.

- A decent amount of natural light in the living room.

- Seating is roughly 11 feet from the TV.  

- Don't care if it has speakers or not, I have a 5.1 system for audio.

- Budget?  Somewhere in the neighborhood of $800?  Less is better.

I'm not a very discerning fellow, but I want something that looks modern / sleek and also has a good picture. I really like the looks of some of the new LGs with the legs on the ends of the screen.  One problem is my cabinet is 46" wide, so I need something with the stand in the center.

Am I looking for an LCD? LED?  Plasmas are likely out of my price range.  What brands do you have experience with?

I briefly browsed the AVSforums, and I really don't need the "The first plasma was $9,000 and some people have a problem paying $1,000 for a TV??? " bullshit, so I come to the ARF crew to help me out!

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
"Need" being relative.  I find myself in the market for a new TV.  I think I've settled on a 55" but there are so many options out there that I find myself sitting here staring at my computer screen like .  

- No cable / satellite.  For now anyway.  Using Roku so I have no need for a "smart" TV with their shitty software.  Can I save a few bucks this way?
- Will be used for gaming, PS3 / PS4.  Also, as I said, Roku for NetFlix, Amazon, Plex, etc.  A lot of hockey will also be watched.

I'm not a very discerning fellow, but I want something that looks modern / sleek and also has a good picture. I really like the looks of some of the new LGs with the legs on the ends of the screen.  One problem is my cabinet is 46" wide, so I need something with the stand in the center.

Am I looking for an LCD? LED?  Plasmas are likely out of my price range.  What brands do you have experience with?

I briefly browsed the AVSforums, and I really don't need the "The first plasma was $9,000 and some people have a problem paying $1,000 for a TV??? " bullshit, so I come to the ARF crew to help me out!

View Quote

LG, Vizio, Samsung, Sony would be the brands I'd take a look into though Vizio has had issues with some of their ultra slim models. I would go LED, plasma's are actually pretty cheap now some of the manafactuers quit making them. My last two tv's.  I picked up a 60" led LG about a year ago and love it, went with the 'smart' one with online stuff at the time I think I could of saved $100 by getting one with out. My selection process was going to the Amazon show room noting the tv's I liked then checked the AVS reviews on those models then finding the cheapest place online selling it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

2014 Vizio E series.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:34:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with him ^

I just bought a 2014 Vizio Series E 55" LED after "needing" a new TV as well, and this thing is impressive. The picture quality is the bees knees!
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:10:40 PM EDT
[#4]
FYI, if you have a PlayStation, you don't need a Roku to get Netflix or any other streaming video service.

Forget plasma.  

If the seating distance is 11', get as big as you can.  55" is as small as you should go but, given your budget, it's about as big as you can go.

Be sure to get a fast refresh rate (240Hz) if you want to watch sports, especially hockey.  Without a high rate (>60-120 Hz), you will never see the puck.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:13:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

FYI, if you have a PlayStation, you don't need a Roku to get Netflix or any other streaming video service.

Forget plasma.  

If the seating distance is 11', get as big as you can.  55" is as small as you should go but, given your budget, it's about as big as you can go.

Be sure to get a fast refresh rate (240Hz) if you want to watch sports, especially hockey.  Without a high rate (>60-120 Hz), you will never see the puck.
View Quote

Thanks for the input.

The only thing I regularly use my Roku for that I'm not sure I can use the Playstation for is Plex.  Could be wrong.  I just prefer using the Roku with my Harmony remote instead of fumbling with the PS controller when I'm watching TV.  

I hadn't thought of the refresh rate issue, but I figured 120 would be enough.  It's really that big of a difference between 120 and 240?

At 11' the 42" just doesn't cut it.  I'm blind as bat, but 20/20 with my contacts and I still find myself squinting to read some things on the screen, mostly on games.  

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:08:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the input.

The only thing I regularly use my Roku for that I'm not sure I can use the Playstation for is Plex.  Could be wrong.  I just prefer using the Roku with my Harmony remote instead of fumbling with the PS controller when I'm watching TV.  

I hadn't thought of the refresh rate issue, but I figured 120 would be enough.  It's really that big of a difference between 120 and 240?

At 11' the 42" just doesn't cut it.  I'm blind as bat, but 20/20 with my contacts and I still find myself squinting to read some things on the screen, mostly on games.  

View Quote

Audition the TV's to see the difference between 120 and 240 Hz.   Use a hockey broadcast and see if you can find the puck on the ice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top