Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2014 8:31:51 AM EDT
Who should have been cast to play the future Darth Vader? Are there any young bad-asses in Hollywood that could have carried the role better than Hayden Christian did?
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Danny devito would've been a better anakin than Hayden Christiansen.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#2]
And they kept calling the future Lord Vader Annie... no wonder he got pissed
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Almost ANY other actor would have been better.  Heck, I could have done better!

For me, that guy single-handedly killed the series.  I cannot stand to watch the movies because of his terrible performance.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Let me open with they were horrible, but I kinda wonder how much of that was the actor and how much was George Lucas having complete creative control over who says what. I've read about people, mainly Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher telling him to get bent and they weren't going to read his terrible writing for the original three movies. But that was when he was a no name guy, now, with him having that much hiring and firing power, if your salary was on the line you'd have to think long and hard about how much to try and push back. I've also watched some of the behind the scenes videos, it's all George talking and dictating to people, there's no real back and forth and everybody looks like they're just taking the hit and waiting for him to leave their department.

That being said, Joesph Gordon-Levitt would have been pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Let me open with they were horrible, but I kinda wonder how much of that was the actor and how much was George Lucas having complete creative control over who says what.
View Quote

I wonder about that myself. I've seen him in other movies and while he isn't great, he is a lot better than he was in the Prequels (I acknowledge that really isn't saying much). Also look at the crappy performances of accomplished actors like Neeson and Portman. They were more than capable enough to do better jobs than what was onscreen. I really do believe that a lot of the crappy acting was because Lucas wanted things his way.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#6]
For me it was the writing and direction that Lucas took those movies in. I think that Hayden gets piled on and has become a sorta fall guy. To me, Lucas is totally at fault for what went wrong with those movies. I don't care how good an actor you are,you try saying some of that crap dialogue out loud and not cringe. At the time when those movies came out I was excited but sceptical. After Jedi and the whole Ewok fiasco, I came to the conclusion at the time, Lucas' s ego was getting out of hand. That and the time between movies was unnecessarily long. The excuse of time needed for technology to advance is bullshit. The older movies looked more realistic and believable than all that cgi crap.

What can I say, after the first two movies I couldn't wait for more. After Jedi not so much. Even Jedi is watchable and fine if I mentally edit out all the Ewok scenes.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 6:25:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree, I think its more the Lucas effect....but he did really come off as a whiny little bitch. I just watched them over again with my 4 1/2 year old son, who dug them, but man I kept saying "man up you little bitch" to Annakin in Episodes 2 and 3...

Jeez, everything is always everyone elses fault, Obi Wan this and Obi Wan that...no wonder Palpatine manipulated him so easily....

Probably reflects Lucas' personality....
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 10:12:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Look at how Kingdom of the Crystal Skull turned out. Spielberg let him have pretty much free reign there and it was a mess. And that whole tech for tech's sake is a theme with him. Look at all the remasterings of the original trilogy. I'm hoping when they start the new one next year that they finally get around to releasing a cleaned up version of the theatrical cut. Also, JJ Abrams is trying to stay low tech and use animatronic effects as much as he can so I'm pretty excited to see how that turns out.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Lucas is/was the problem.  The movies had plenty of talent for actors, they were just directed and scripted terribly.

Natalie Portman is an Academy Award winning actress and Liam Neeson has been nominated for an Academy Award.

You can have the best actors in the world, but if the director sucks, then it all sucks.

Such a shame.  Telling the beginning of the story has SO much potential.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Another example. Red Tails. Hurk.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Annie was a whiny little bitch when he was younger.

So was Luke.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:16:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes, hence the admontation, stop whining like a bunch of Skywalkers.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So was Luke.

View Quote

At least Luke grew out of it,  "Annie" got worse.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lucas is/was the problem.  The movies had plenty of talent for actors, they were just directed and scripted terribly.

Natalie Portman is an Academy Award winning actress and Liam Neeson has been nominated for an Academy Award.

You can have the best actors in the world, but if the director sucks, then it all sucks.

Such a shame.  Telling the beginning of the story has SO much potential.
View Quote

Agree 100%...remember how good Episode IV was? Well, thats because Lucas was an unknown at the time, and had no power, so he did as he was told. As he gained more power the worse the movies became...

Really messed up Ep I-III badly...
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So was Luke.

That is why Luke became the most powerful Jedi ever and unified the force.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

So was Luke.

View Quote

It's sort of like poetry, they rhyme.  Each stanza rhymes with the last one.

Hopefully it'll work.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm going to just drop this here.  I'm not interested in arguing over it.  I do feel it needs to be said.

I liked Episodes I,II and III.  That is, I liked them except for the wooden performance of Hayden Christensen.  I even liked JarJar Binks.  

I disliked the furry little bears in Episode VI.

I'm looking forward to VII.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There are certain things that one may think but should not say. I should have put that post in that category.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm going to just drop this here.  I'm not interested in arguing over it.  I do feel it needs to be said.

I liked Episodes I,II and III.  That is, I liked them except for the wooden performance of Hayden Christensen.  I even liked JarJar Binks.  

View Quote

I'm glad people liked I, II, and III.

The more sci-fi films that get made, the better.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I disliked the furry little bears in Episode VI.

I'm looking forward to VII.

View Quote

You are not alone.   I don't get caught up in all the hate for episodes 1-3.  When I watch ANH now the droids are just as annoying to me as Jar-Jar is.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:14:00 PM EDT
[#23]
R2-D2 knew the whole time.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How about how he retooled Re-releases, his director cuts.

Really...
View Quote

I generally did not like them. I really don't care if he added some cgi dewbacks and stormtroopers, I believe if Lucas had more money there would have been more of them anyway.  I did not like the conceptual changes, especially with Han Solo.  To begin with, Solo has every right to off Greedo just because he is being held at gunpoint, you don't have to make Greedo shoot first.  Solo's story is about redemption, there is no need to make him a "nicer guy" by having him wait until Greedo shoots first. Solo is supposed to be a dirtbag, he hangs out in Mos Eisley, where as Ben put it "you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy", so we must assume that Han is scum and villain.  Trying to make him out to be a misunderstood nice guy just ruins the redemption story for me.

I also hate the dialog change for Vader after Luke escapes the trap on Bespin.  In the original, once Luke gets away Vader says to a subordinate "Bring my shuttle."  Short and to the point, you know Vader is pissed that he failed.  In the re-release Vader says "Bring my shuttle to take me to my ship."  It is too wordy for me, and why does Vader have to explain to some subordinate where he is going?  Ruined the scene for me.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:22:48 PM EDT
[#26]
From what I've read and heard in interviews, Lucas envisioned Anikin as a character that could be played by James Dean, so Hayden was directed to do a bad James Dean imitation.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:40:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I always thought of Han as a hard luck type or likable rogue type, not a scumbag. I agree he was in the right shooting first, being held at gunpoint(after being told his fate no less) as already pointed out. Why this became an issue at all is very telling of Lucas.

I didn't think him releasing and redoing the originals was so bad as much as him trying to control/suppress the original theatrical release versions. That just came off as weird and meglomanical to me. Whatever his reasoning he put the film's out there and since then they became part of the cultural fabric. That be like redoing Casablanca and suppressing the original release.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I always thought of Han as a hard luck type or likable rogue type, not a scumbag. I agree he was in the right shooting first, being held at gunpoint(after being told his fate no less) as already pointed out. Why this became an issue at all is very telling of Lucas.

I didn't think him releasing and redoing the originals was so bad as much as him trying to control/suppress the original theatrical release versions. That just came off as weird and meglomanical to me. Whatever his reasoning he put the film's out there and since then they became part of the cultural fabric. That be like redoing Casablanca and suppressing the original release.
View Quote

I get the impression that Lucas got the idea of re-tooling the Han / Greedo scene when his kids became old enough to watch the films.  I bet his kids started asking questions about why a good guy would shoot first, not understanding we aren't supposed to know he's a good guy yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top