Site Notices
4/24/2014 6:00:25 PM
4/24/2014 10:21:04 AM
Author
...The Viking Raider...
Posted: 9/25/2013 7:39:20 PM

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
DirectTV went above what I was willing to pay and dropped it and went back to an antenna. I get 38 clear English speaking channels and my wife misses the DVR function and is looking to get it back. I have seen a few OTA capable DVR units but am unsure who to look for.

Anyone running a home antenna with a OTA capable DVR?

Thanks in advance.
"It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required." Sir Winston Churchill
501st
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/25/2013 10:43:41 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Longboat:
DirectTV went above what I was willing to pay and dropped it and went back to an antenna. I get 38 clear English speaking channels and my wife misses the DVR function and is looking to get it back. I have seen a few OTA capable DVR units but am unsure who to look for.

Thanks in advance.

This would seem to be your best option:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-HDD-and-DVD-Recorder-with-Digital-Tuner-1TB/20710259
Chairborne
2A590
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/25/2013 10:46:41 PM
[Last Edit: 9/25/2013 10:47:04 PM by Chairborne]
I'm in the same boat as you and haven't found anything approaching a decent capability at a decent price. My theory is the cable companies put a ton of pressure on consumer manufacturers not to release a halfway decent OTA DVR. I'm about to take an old PC and throw a tuner card in it and do it that way, the reviews of every recorder I've seen have been shit. The Tivo units get a good rep, but I'll be damned if I am paying a monthly or annual fee to them.
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
Longboat
...The Viking Raider...
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/27/2013 12:50:30 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Chairborne:
I'm in the same boat as you and haven't found anything approaching a decent capability at a decent price. My theory is the cable companies put a ton of pressure on consumer manufacturers not to release a halfway decent OTA DVR. I'm about to take an old PC and throw a tuner card in it and do it that way, the reviews of every recorder I've seen have been shit. The Tivo units get a good rep, but I'll be damned if I am paying a monthly or annual fee to them.

Yep.. Not really interested in paying $15 a month for TiVO..
"It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required." Sir Winston Churchill
whs78
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/28/2013 10:15:46 PM
Windows 7, Media player seems to be able to capture programming from my cable provider.
The tuner card I am using has provision for recording digital ota channels as well.
I haven't tried it, occasionally the computer crashes but not too often.
tep0583
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/4/2013 8:13:51 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By whs78:
Windows 7, Media player seems to be able to capture programming from my cable provider.
The tuner card I am using has provision for recording digital ota channels as well.
I haven't tried it, occasionally the computer crashes but not too often.

I do all of my recording through a win 7 box, with a Hauppauge PVR-2250 tuner in it.

It works VERY well.

Trollslayer
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/5/2013 1:43:41 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Longboat:
Originally Posted By Chairborne:

Yep.. Not really interested in paying $15 a month for TiVO..

You can buy a TIVO and get the lifetime subscription option.
InterestedBystander
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/10/2013 6:29:58 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By 501st:
Originally Posted By Longboat:

Thanks in advance.

This would seem to be your best option:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-HDD-and-DVD-Recorder-with-Digital-Tuner-1TB/20710259

I like my Magnavox, but they don't do HiDef. All you want to know about this product is at http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575

Your other option is a CHannel Master previously known as a DTVPal not sure what's going on with their current production...http://www.channelmaster.com/Set_Top_Boxes_Antenna_DVR_Subscription_Free_DVR_s/40.htm