Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2011 6:07:58 PM EDT
What are the differences and which type would be best for an apartment?

Link Posted: 11/9/2011 7:23:55 PM EDT
[#1]
A home theater system is going to be the better of the 2 because you can "tune" your system with speaker placement.  The sound bars however have been getting a lot better, I'm looking at one myself.  For an apartment, spin the wheel.  A sound bar will probably be more than enough, it just depends how pure you want your sound.  With the new wireless technology, you could spend the money on an entire system and not have to worry about running wires through  the apartment.  

This is the one I've been looking at for my home.  http://www.crutchfield.com/p_305HWD450/Samsung-HW-D450.html?search=samsung+soundbar
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Wanna see something funny?
This soundbar is the one I am looking at.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I think soundbars are fine for smaller rooms and second TV's.

Thus, I'm ok with that in an apartment, and I'd be ok with one in my bedroom.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 6:53:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 7:45:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the Vizo sound bar with the subwoofer and those things rock! I have kids, and they have to go to bed early and then my wife and I will watch a movie, it's just enough that we get good sound and it doesn't wake the kids. Fills our living room, not the rest of the house.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 8:00:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have the Vizo sound bar with the subwoofer and those things rock! I have kids, and they have to go to bed early and then my wife and I will watch a movie, it's just enough that we get good sound and it doesn't wake the kids. Fills our living room, not the rest of the house.

I was wondering about Vizio, and plan on going by Wal-Mart and checking them out. Good to see a positive review!
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Wanna see something funny?
This soundbar is the one I am looking at.

Haha, great minds think alike right?  

Link Posted: 11/11/2011 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Hope you have a good relationship with your neighbors.    Dont turn it up too loud
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 6:48:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It either uses a 2.1 setup or adds additional speakers for a pseudo surround sound.  Dolby Labs  A sound bar is a great choice if you aren't a purist and want better sound than your TV speakers.  Over at Home Theater Forum, we have also suggested using powered PC speakers if they fit your needs.  If you want a better audio experience than 5.1 or 7.1 is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 6:59:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It either uses a 2.1 setup or adds additional speakers for a pseudo surround sound.  Dolby Labs  A sound bar is a great choice if you aren't a purist and want better sound than your TV speakers.  Over at Home Theater Forum, we have also suggested using powered PC speakers if they fit your needs.  If you want a better audio experience than 5.1 or 7.1 is the only way to go.

Explain the bolded, please. How would I go about using PC speakers?

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#12]
A lot of TV's have a headphone jack.  Just plug in something like this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836116048  Whether or not it will work depends on the make/model of your TV.  What is it and I'll look up the owner's manual?
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wondering about Vizio, and plan on going by Wal-Mart and checking them out. Good to see a positive review!

I have one also. Works well in my smallish family room. It will never be mistaken for a full blown surround system, but I like the sound it produces. The sub-woofer really gives it some depth.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#14]
What model Vizio?
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What model Vizio?

I bought this one. It's nice. Fills your living room, not your house.
Vizio
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:38:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

A lot of TV's have a headphone jack.  Just plug in something like this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836116048  Whether or not it will work depends on the make/model of your TV.  What is it and I'll look up the owner's manual?

Dynex DX-LCD42HD-09

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, you will not get surround sound with a sound bar.

If you want to rock DTS or Dolby 5.1 there is no substitute for a full theater package.  

If you just want better stereo sound and perhaps more base than sound bar with wireless sub is a good way to go.

Would like to get a soundbar and wireless sub myself, but I was hoping there would be some for the Black Friday sales and I'm not seeing any advertised.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Bought this one today. It doesn't come with a subwoofer. Gonna give it a few days to see if I like it.
ETA: already made the decision to take it back and get the one with the subwoofer.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Bought this one today. It doesn't come with a subwoofer. Gonna give it a few days to see if I like it.
ETA: already made the decision to take it back and get the one with the subwoofer.

Go for the Samsung, let me know if I should spend the $$.  lol

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go for the Samsung, let me know if I should spend the $$.  lol

I just went a completely different direction.

I exchanged the LG for this one. It sounds GREAT! I just need to figure out how to get the FM working on it. Haven't read the manual yet.

I'll be testing it against a movie tonight. Thinking Mr. and Mrs. Smith. It sounds great for gaming.

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 9:15:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Is it wired or wireless to the sub?
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 9:44:18 AM EDT
[#22]
We've got the Boston Acoustics model with wireless sub.  Works well.

My old receiver (1000watt Marantz) somehow ended up in one of my wife's dance studios.  And somehow I got conned into wiring up surround speakers in the main studio.  

So now, we make do with a soundbar at the house.

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is it wired or wireless to the sub?

It's wired.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, I've got to get a  Soundbare and wireless sub. That's the thing about these new flat screens they just don't have great sound.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top