Page / 8
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#1]
From Baptist to Orthodox

From Baptist to Orthodox {Why Did You Become Orthodox?} - John Maddex
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#2]
The Problem with Martin Luther

The Problem With Martin Luther (Why Did You Become Orthodox?) - Dr. Cyril (Gary) Jenkins
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 11:59:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alembic] [#3]
OP thanks for posting. I have read through the entire thread. I have some personal concerns over some of the phrases the Liturgy but I'm not ready to get into specifics until I research those a bit more lest I throw the baby out with the bathwater. .

I left the RCC as an adult from from where I was immersed growing up.

The  excerpts from The Ladder of Divine Ascent were just enough to whet my appetite, so I ordered a copy. Looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 12:53:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Alembic:
OP thanks for posting. I have read through the entire thread. I have some personal concerns over some of the phrases the Liturgy but I'm not ready to get into specifics until I research those a bit more lest I throw the baby out with the bathwater. .

I left the RCC as an adult from from where I was immersed growing up.

The  excerpts from The Ladder of Divine Ascent were just enough to whet my appetite, so I ordered a copy. Looking forward to it.
View Quote

Great, feel free to post questions. If I don't know the answers, I'll find them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Today's Scripture

2Timothy 3:16 - 4:4
16All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
1I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom: 2Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. 3For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; 4and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.

Luke 21:12-19
12But before all these things, they will lay their hands on you and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues and prisons. You will be brought before kings and rulers for My name’s sake. 13But it will turn out for you as an occasion for testimony. 14Therefore settle it in your hearts not to meditate beforehand on what you will answer; 15for I will give you a mouth and wisdom which all your adversaries will not be able to contradict or resist. 16You will be betrayed even by parents and brothers, relatives and friends; and they will put some of you to death. 17And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. 18But not a hair of your head shall be lost. 19By your patience possess your souls.

2Timothy 2:20-26
20But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor. 21Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work. 22Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. 23But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife. 24And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient, 25in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth, 26and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.

Luke 20:27-44
27Then some of the Sadducees, who deny that there is a resurrection, came to Him and asked Him, 28saying: “Teacher, Moses wrote to us that if a man’s brother dies, having a wife, and he dies without children, his brother should take his wife and raise up offspring for his brother. 29Now there were seven brothers. And the first took a wife, and died without children. 30And the second took her as wife, and he died childless. 31Then the third took her, and in like manner the seven also; and they left no children, and died. 32Last of all the woman died also. 33Therefore, in the resurrection, whose wife does she become? For all seven had her as wife.”

34Jesus answered and said to them, “The sons of this age marry and are given in marriage. 35But those who are counted worthy to attain that age, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry nor are given in marriage; 36nor can they die anymore, for they are equal to the angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection. 37But even Moses showed in the burning bush passage that the dead are raised, when he called the Lord ‘the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.’ 38For He is not the God of the dead but of the living, for all live to Him.”

39Then some of the scribes answered and said, “Teacher, You have spoken well.” 40But after that they dared not question Him anymore.

Jesus: How Can David Call His Descendant Lord?
41And He said to them, “How can they say that the Christ is the Son of David? 42Now David himself said in the Book of Psalms:

‘The Lord said to my Lord,
“Sit at My right hand,
43Till I make Your enemies Your footstool.” ’

44Therefore David calls Him ‘Lord’; how is He then his Son?”
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Canons of the Seven Ecumenical Councils

The First Ecumenical Council.

The First Ecumenical Council was held in Nicea, Asia Minor, in 325 on the occasion of the heresy of Arius (Arianism). In order to expedite the assembling of the Council, the emperor Constantine placed at the disposal of the bishops the public conveyances and posts of the empire; moreover, while the Council lasted he provided abundantly for the maintenance of the members. The choice of Nicaea was favourable to the assembling of a large number of bishops. It was easily accessible to the bishops of nearly all the provinces, but especially to those of Asia, Syria, Palestine, Egypt, Greece, and Thrace. The sessions were held in the principal church, and in the central hall of the imperial palace. A large place was indeed necessary to receive such an assembly, though the exact number is not known with certainty. St. Athanasius, a member of the council speaks of 300, and in his letter "Ad Afros" he says explicitly 318. This figure is almost universally adopted. Most of the bishops present were Greeks; among the Latins we know only Hosius of Cordova, Cecilian of Carthage, Mark of Calabria, Nicasius of Dijon, Donnus of Stridon in Pannonia, and the two Roman priests, Victor and Vincentius, representing the pope. The assembly numbered among its most famous members St. Alexander of Alexandria, Eustathius of Antioch, Macarius of Jerusalem, Eusebius of Nicomedia, Eusebius of Caesarea, and Nicholas of Myra. Some had suffered during the last persecution; others were poorly enough acquainted with Christian theology. Among the members was a young deacon, Athanasius of Alexandria, for whom this Council was to be the prelude to a life of conflict and of glory.

The Council was opened by Constantine with the greatest solemnity. The emperor began by making the bishops understand that they had a greater and better business in hand than personal quarrels and interminable recriminations. Nevertheless, he had to submit to the infliction of hearing the last words of debates which had been going on previous to his arrival. Eusebius of Caesarea and his two abbreviators, Socrates and Sozomen, as well as Rufinus and Gelasius of Cyzicus, report no details of the theological discussions. Rufinus tells us only that daily sessions were held and that Arius was often summoned before the assembly; his opinions were seriously discussed and the opposing arguments attentively considered. The majority, especially those who were confessors of the Faith, energetically declared themselves against the impious doctrines of Arius. St. Athanasius assures us that the activities of the Council were nowise hampered by Constantine's presence. To St. Athanasius may be attributed a preponderant influence in the formulation of the symbol of the First Ecumenical Council, of which the following is a literal translation:

We believe in one God the Father Almighty, Maker of all things visible and invisible; and in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only begotten of the Father, that is, of the substance [ek tes ousias] of the Father, God of God, light of light, true God of true God, begotten not made, of the same substance with the Father [homoousion to patri], through whom all things were made both in heaven and on earth; who for us men and our salvation descended, was incarnate, and was made man, suffered and rose again the third day, ascended into heaven and cometh to judge the living and the dead. And in the Holy Ghost. Those who say: There was a time when He was not, and He was not before He was begotten; and that He was made our of nothing (ex ouk onton); or who maintain that He is of another hypostasis or another substance [than the Father], or that the Son of God is created, or mutable, or subject to change, [them] the Catholic Church anathematizes.

The adhesion was general and enthusiastic. All the bishops save five declared themselves ready to subscribe to this formula, convince that it contained the ancient faith of the Apostolic Church. The opponents were soon reduced to two, Theonas of Marmarica and Secundus of Ptolemais, who were exiled and anathematized. Arius and his writings were also branded with anathema, his books were cast into the fire, and he was exiled to Illyria.

Other matters dealt with by this council were the controversy as to the time of celebrating Easter and the Meletian schism.

Of all the Acts of this Council, which, it has been maintained, were numerous, only three fragments have reached us: the creed, or symbol, given above; the canons; the synodal decree. In reality there never were any official acts besides these. But the accounts of Eusebius, Socrates, Sozomen, Theodoret, and Rufinus may be considered as very important sources of historical information, as well as some data preserved by St. Athanasius, and a history of the Council of Nicaea written in Greek in the fifth century by Gelasius of Cyzicus. There has long existed a dispute as to the number of the canons of First Nicaea. All the collections of canons, whether in Latin or Greek, composed in the fourth and fifth centuries agree in attributing to this Council only the twenty canons, which we possess today. Of these the following is a brief résumé:

Canon 1: On the admission, or support, or expulsion of clerics mutilated by choice or by violence.

Canon 2: Rules to be observed for ordination, the avoidance of undue haste, the deposition of those guilty of a grave fault.

Canon 3: All members of the clergy are forbidden to dwell with any woman, except a mother, sister, or aunt.

Canon 4: Concerning episcopal elections.

Canon 5: Concerning the excommunicate.

Canon 6: Concerning patriarchs and their jurisdiction.

Canon 7: confirms the right of the bishops of Jerusalem to enjoy certain honours.

Canon 8: concerns the Novatians.

Canon 9: Certain sins known after ordination involve invalidation.

Canon 10: Lapsi who have been ordained knowingly or surreptitiously must be excluded as soon as their irregularity is known.

Canon 11: Penance to be imposed on apostates of the persecution of Licinius.

Canon 12: Penance to be imposed on those who upheld Licinius in his war on the Christians.

Canon 13: Indulgence to be granted to excommunicated persons in danger of death.

Canon 14: Penance to be imposed on catechumens who had weakened under persecution.

Canon 15: Bishops, priests, and deacons are not to pass from one church to another.

Canon 16: All clerics are forbidden to leave their church. Formal prohibition for bishops to ordain for their diocese a cleric belonging to another diocese.

Canon 17: Clerics are forbidden to lend at interest.

Canon 18: recalls to deacons their subordinate position with regard to priests.

Canon 19: Rules to be observed with regard to adherents of Paul of Samosata who wished to return to the Church.

Canon 20: On Sundays and during the Paschal season prayers should be said standing.

----------------

Dive in here for an introduction, the following 6 Councils, and the full text with interpretation of every Canon (85).

Link Posted: 12/26/2022 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#7]
The Ladder of Divine Ascent - John Climacus

Step 7
On mourning which causes joy

Paragraphs 5-7
If you have the gift of mourning, keep hold of it with all your strength. For it is easily lost when it is not securely established. For just as wax will melt by the heat of the fire, so also mourning easily dissipates with noise, concern for the body, luxury, and especially by talkativeness and levity.

Greater than baptism itself is the fountain of tears that comes after baptism, although it may be somewhat bold to state this. For baptism is the cleansing from evils that were present in us beforehand, but the sins which we commit after baptism are cleansed by tears. As baptism is received in infancy, we have all defiled it, but we cleanse it anew with tears. If, in His love for humanity, God had not granted us tears, few indeed and hard to find would be those in a state of grace.

Groanings and sorrows cry to the Lord. Tears shed from fear intercede for us, but tears of all-holy love show us that our prayer has been accepted.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Anastasios:
"...You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Some Christians throughout history have interpreted this passage to mean that no religious images or visual art are allowed by God. In fact, the Church struggled with this issue throughout the eighth and ninth centuries finally defeating iconoclasm and upholding the use of icons in worship, a day we celebrate every year on the Triumph of Orthodoxy. The Church made clear the position of images in the worship of the Church and their relationship to the second commandment:..."

The full article
View Quote

As a tangent to this post I have a question related to the commandment.

How does the EO arrange the commandment mentioned?

Does it view the following as 1 single commandment in couplet form.

- Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image

Or does it break the commandment into two commandments.

- Thou shalt have no other gods before me
- Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:32:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Anastasios] [#9]
1Now the Lord spoke all these words, saying:
   2"I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. 3You shall have no other gods before Me.
   4"You shall not make for yourself an idol or a likeness of anything in heaven above, or in the earth beneath, or in the waters under the earth. 5You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, recompensing the sins of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate Me; 6but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:48:02 PM EDT
[#10]
   2"I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. 3You shall have no other gods before Me.
   4"You shall not make for yourself an idol or a likeness of anything in heaven above, or in the earth beneath, or in the waters under the earth. 5You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, recompensing the sins of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate Me; 6but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
View Quote

Yes, that is Exodus 20, however if you count the "shall" statements, there are more than 10 (for example there are 12 in the NIV), and different traditions break up the phrases into discrete commandments differently.

For example

In Judaism it goes
1) I am the Lord thy god, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
2) Thou shalt have no other gods before Me.
3) Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.

In the Catholic Tradition it goes
1) I am the LORD your God. You shall worship the Lord your You shalt have no other gods before Me.
2) You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
3) Remember to keep holy the Sabbath day.

In protestant circles it seems like the majority go with
1) You shall have no other gods but me.
2) You shall not make unto you any graven images
3) You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain

And my question was aimed at curiosity about how the EO splits up the phrases into commandments.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ghengiskhabb:

Yes, that is Exodus 20, however if you count the "shall" statements, there are more than 10 (for example there are 12 in the NIV), and different traditions break up the phrases into discrete commandments differently.

For example

In Judaism it goes
1) I am the Lord thy god, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

1) I am the LORD your God. You shall worship the Lord your You shalt have no other gods before Me.

And my question was aimed at curiosity about how the EO splits up the phrases into commandments.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

For example

In Judaism it goes

The quote is from the St. Athanasius Academy Septuagint translation as found in The Orthodox Study Bible. No breaking up phrases. Paragraphs is what we get.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Sanctification.

From 1 John 3
2Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 3And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Orthodoxy is a Process of Self-Revelation

Orthodoxy is a Process of Self-Revelation #orthodoxy
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#14]

For example

In Judaism it goes

View All Quotes

For example

In Judaism it goes

I wondered and looked up the same thing some time ago.  You may find this interesting.  I do not know whether there are differences between the different EO churches, but that was enough to sate my curiosity.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 3:22:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By abnk:
I wondered and looked up the same thing some time ago.  You may find this interesting.  I do not know whether there are differences between the different EO churches, but that was enough to sate my curiosity.
View Quote

Thanks. I had assumed that everybody understood the 10 the same way until last year when I stumbled over the numbering in Judaism made me consider what the other traditions do.  

Link Posted: 1/6/2023 12:48:08 AM EDT
[#16]
St. Paul the Apostle Saw Himself for Who He Truly Was

St. Paul the Apostle Saw Himself for Who He Truly Was
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 12:14:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 9:55:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Anastasios] [#20]
Colossians 3:12-16

12Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering; 13bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do. 14But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection. 15And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful. 16Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Edit for spell check.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Today we commemorate the 14,000 infants (Holy Innocents) slain by Herod in Bethlehem

The infant-slaying Herod mentioned here is the same one that ruled at the time of Christ's Nativity. In those days, certain Magi, who were wise and noble men, perhaps even kings, set forth from the East, and came to Jerusalem, seeking the King of the Jews, Who had been born; and they said that in the East, where their homeland was, an unusual and strange star had appeared two years before, which, according to an ancient oracle (Num 24:17), was to signify the birth of some great king of the Jews. "For we have seen His star in the east," they said, "and have come to worship Him" (Matt. 2:2). Hearing these things, Herod was troubled, and the whole city together with him. Then, having inquired and been informed by the high priests and scribes of the people that, according to the prophecies, Christ was to be born in Bethlehem, he sent the Magi thither and ordered them that, when they would find the Child, to inform him, so that he also - as he affirmed - might go and worship Him. But the Magi, after they had worshipped, departed by another way to their own country by a divine command. Then Herod was wroth and sent men to slay all the infants of Bethlehem and the parts round about, from two years old and under, thinking that with them he would also certainly slay the King Who had been born. But this vain man who fought against God was mocked, since Jesus the Child, with Mary His Mother, under the protection of Joseph the Betrothed, fled into Egypt at the command of an Angel. As for those innocent infants, they became the first Martyrs slain in behalf of Christ. But their blood-thirsty executioner, the persecutor of Christ, came down with dropsy after a short time, with his members rotting and being eaten by worms, and he ended his life in a most wretched manner.

https://www.goarch.org/chapel/saints?contentid=358
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 3:29:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Anastasios] [#23]
Christians live in the Church, and go to the world.

What is at the Center of Orthodoxy?
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#24]
A couple passages from today's readings.

James 3:1-10
The work of faith; controlling what we say

1My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment. 2For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body. 3Indeed, we put bits in horses’ mouths that they may obey us, and we turn their whole body. 4Look also at ships: although they are so large and are driven by fierce winds, they are turned by a very small rudder wherever the pilot desires. 5Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things.

See how great a forest a little fire kindles! 6And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell. 7For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and creature of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind. 8But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. 9With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. 10Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so.

Romans 8:8-14
The Spirit conveys Divine Sonship

8So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

9But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. 10And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

12Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. 13For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. 14For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Selections from today's readings.

Romans 6:3-11
3Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

5For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. 7For he who has died has been freed from sin. 8Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, 9knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him. 10For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. 11Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

1 Corinthians 9:19-27
19For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; 20and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; 21to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; 22to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.

24Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. 25And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. 26Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 2:50:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Are Your Feet Beautiful?

Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#27]
@anastasios

Any tips on keeping a vigil lamp lit?  I had a floating cork wick holder until the cork caught on fire.    I got the "old believer" style brass wick holder, but the wick just burns up after a couple minutes.  Is it because I'm Catholic???
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:26:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Milsurpninja:
@anastasios

Any tips on keeping a vigil lamp lit?  I had a floating cork wick holder until the cork caught on fire.    I got the "old believer" style brass wick holder, but the wick just burns up after a couple minutes.  Is it because I'm Catholic???
View Quote

I'm only familiar using the floating cork with beeswax wick in olive oil.

The old believer style uses the rope type wick? Are you using olive oil?
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:40:58 PM EDT
[#29]

I'm only familiar using the floating cork with beeswax wick in olive oil.

The old believer style uses the rope type wick? Are you using olive oil?
View Quote

Yes olive oil.  Just found this online, and I think my oil level is too low.  Gonna top it off and try again.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#30]
@Milsurpninja

Did it work?
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Martyr Abo the Perfumer of Tbilisi, Georgia, is commemorated on this day.

"In the 8th century a Saracen army tyrannized Kartli as a first step towards overturning the Georgian nation. The invaders were certain that the best way to conquer Georgia was to uproot the Christian Faith. The Georgian people were alarmed, and the clergy and the best sons of Kartli sought desperately for a resolution to this calamity. Much blood was shed in 766 when the Muslim invaders crushed an uprising in the eastern region of Kakheti...."

"...A new emir was appointed to rule in Tbilisi, and when the Christians heard that he was plotting to capture Abo, they begged him to conceal his identity. But Abo simply rejoiced and told them, “I am prepared not only to be tortured for Christ, but to die for His sake as well.” As predicted, the emir’s servants captured Abo and brought him before a judge. The judge tried in vain to entice Abo to return to the faith of his ancestors. Then, in a rage, he ordered that Abo be cast into prison and that his hands and feet be fettered in chains. But his suffering for Christ filled the blessed Abo with even greater love, and he asked his Christian brothers and sisters to sell his clothes and use the money earned to buy candles and incense for local churches.

On the day of his execution Abo washed his face, anointed it with holy oil, partook of the Holy Gifts, and prepared for his death as though preparing for a feast. “Weep not, but rejoice, for I am going to my Lord. Pray for me, and may the peace of God protect you,” he cheerfully told the faithful Christians who surrounded him in his last hours...."

The entirety here: https://www.oca.org/saints/lives/2018/01/08/100132-martyr-abo-the-perfumer-of-tbilisi-georgia

For some history, an overview of a certain 8th century Christian martyrdom text, titled: "Martyrdom of Abo of Tbilisi", :  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martyrdom_of_Abo_of_Tbilisi#:~:text=The%20Martyrdom%20of%20Abo%20of,which%20was%20under%20Islamic%20rule
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#32]
@Milsurpninja

Did it work?
View Quote

Yeah it burned great all night! I topped it off with blessed olive oil this morning and it’s still going strong.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Yeah it burned great all night! I topped it off with blessed olive oil this morning and it’s still going strong.
View All Quotes
@Milsurpninja

Did it work?

Link Posted: 1/21/2023 5:13:26 PM EDT
[#34]
One of the readings for today.

From Ephesians 6
10Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 11Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#35]
One of the Saints we commemorate today is Hieromartyr Philip (1507-1569), Metropolitan of Moscow and All Russia

He was an acquaintance of Ivan the Terrible. Great story.

"...But the Lord was preparing the saint for other work. In Moscow, Tsar Ivan the Terrible fondly remembered the Solovki hermit from his childhood. The Tsar hoped to find in Saint Philip a true companion, confessor and counsellor, who in his exalted monastic life had nothing in common with the sedition of the nobles. The Metropolitan of Moscow, in Ivan’s opinion, ought to have a certain spiritual meekness to quell the treachery and malice within the Boyar soul. The choice of Saint Philip as archpastor of the Russian Church seemed to him the best possible.

For a long time the saint refused to assume the great burden of the primacy of the Russian Church. He did not sense any spiritual affinity with Ivan. He attempted to get the Tsar to abolish the Oprichniki [secret police]. Ivan the Terrible attempted to argue its civil necessity. Finally, the dread Tsar and the holy Metropolitan came to an agreement: Saint Philip would not meddle in the affairs of the Oprichniki and the running of the government, he would resign as Metropolitan in case the Tsar could not fulfill his wishes, and that he would be a support and counsellor of the Tsar, just as former Metropolitans supported the Moscow sovereigns. On July 25, 1566 Saint Philip was consecrated for the cathedra of Moscow’s hierarch saints, whose number he was soon to join..."

Much more here
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#36]
The Ladder of Divine Ascent - John Climacus

Step 8 - On freedom from anger, and on humility
(first 4 paragraphs)

In the same way a steady flow of water on a fire will quench the flame, so the tears of true mourning will be able to extinguish every fire of anger and irritation. Therefore we place this step after the last.

Freedom from anger is an inexhaustible appetite for disgrace, just as for the egotistic there is a never-ending appetite for praise. Liberty from anger is a triumph over nature and an indifference to slander, obtained by struggles and sweat.

Humility is an unchanging character of the soul which continues untouched either by a bad or good report, in disgrace or in honor.

The start of freedom from anger is stillness of the mouth when the heart is troubled. The middle is silence of the thoughts when there is a small agitation of the soul. The end is an unchanging calm under the breath of unclean winds.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:49:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Anastasios] [#37]
Readings for today

Matthew 11:27-30
27All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him. 28Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

Hebrews 13:17-21
17Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account. Let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you.

18Pray for us; for we are confident that we have a good conscience, in all things desiring to live honorably. 19But I especially urge you to do this, that I may be restored to you the sooner.

20Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, 21make you complete in every good work to do His will, working in you what is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.

Luke 6:17-23
17And He came down with them and stood on a level place with a crowd of His disciples and a great multitude of people from all Judea and Jerusalem, and from the seacoast of Tyre and Sidon, who came to hear Him and be healed of their diseases, 18as well as those who were tormented with unclean spirits. And they were healed. 19And the whole multitude sought to touch Him, for power went out from Him and healed them all.

The Beatitudes
20Then He lifted up His eyes toward His disciples, and said:

“Blessed are you poor,
For yours is the kingdom of God.
21Blessed are you who hunger now,
For you shall be filled.
Blessed are you who weep now,
For you shall laugh.
22Blessed are you when men hate you,
And when they exclude you,
And revile you, and cast out your name as evil,
For the Son of Man’s sake.
23Rejoice in that day and leap for joy!
For indeed your reward is great in heaven,
For in like manner their fathers did to the prophets.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:41:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Anastasios] [#38]
Let's get some peeks at another book I've started reading. It is a fascinating look at the worship experience in the Church.

The Eucharist: Sacrament of the Kingdom, by Alexander Schmemann (1923-1983)

Translated from the Russian by Paul Kachur, printed by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press.

List of the chapters:
1. The Sacrament of the Assembly
2. The Sacrament of the Kingdom
3. The Sacrament of Entrance
4. The Sacrament of the Word
5. The Sacrament of the Faithful
6. The Sacrament of Offering
7. The Sacrament of Unity
8. The Sacrament of Anaphora
9. The Sacrament of Thanksgiving
10. The Sacrament of Remembrance
11. The Sacrament of the Holy Spirit
12. The Sacrament of Communion

From Page 2 in Chapter 1

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:55:59 AM EDT
[#39]
“Grant me to see my own sin…” St. Ephraim the Syrian ??

OVERCOMING SPIRITUAL BLINDNESS
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Yesterday was Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee, a lesson on humility as Great Lent approaches. It is the first of three feasts. Next week's feast is called Sunday of the Prodigal Son, and the following week is The Last Judgement. Great Lent begins on Feb 27th this year.

He who lives like a Pharisee is far from the Church,
                                              for Christ is received within, O ye humble of heart.

By the grace of God on this present day we begin the Triodion, the hymns of which were composed by many of our holy and God-bearing Fathers, inspired by the Holy Spirit according to their worthiness. The first of all was the great author St. Cosmas of Maiuma, who composed the three odes (symbolic of the Holy and Life-Creating Trinity) for the Great and Holy Week of the Passion of our Lord and God and Savior Jesus Christ. After him others of the Fathers, including Sts. Theodore and Joseph of the Studite Monastery, following his zealous example, arranged the services of the other weeks of the Holy and Great Forty-day Fast, reserving them at first for the use of the Studite Monastery. Furthermore they composed and arranged hymns, seeking them and collecting them from other books of the Fathers. Since, according to the Triodion, Sunday, the celebration of the Resurrection, is the first day of the week as well as the last or eighth day, they prescribed the first canticle of the canon to be sung on the second day of the week, i.e. Monday. The second canticle was prescribed for Tuesday, the third day of the week, the third canticle for Wednesday, the fourth canticle for Thursday, the fifth canticle for Friday, and the sixth and seventh canticles for Saturday. The rest, the eighth and ninth canticles, are prescribed for every day.

It must be known, however, that although it is called the Triodion, it does have services with other than three-canticle canons. It is so named because the majority of the services have three canticle canons, especially during Holy Week. For it was our Holy Fathers’ idea that through the entire Triodion would be commemorated in a concise form all God’s benefits to us from the beginning, using it as a reminder for all of us that we were created by Him, and were exiled from Paradise through the tasting of the fruit, rejecting the commandment that was given to us for our knowledge, and we were cast out through the envy of the arch villain serpent and enemy, who was made to crawl for his arrogance. That we remained cut off from the benefits of Paradise and were led by the devil. That the Son and Word of God, having suffered in His mercy, bowing the heavens, descended and made His abode in the Virgin and became man for our sake, showing us through His life the ascent into the heavens, through humility first of all then fasting and the rejection of evil and through His other deeds. That He suffered and rose from the dead and ascended once more into heaven, and He sent down the Holy Spirit upon His holy disciples and Apostles, who all proclaimed Him to be the Son of God and the most perfect God. And that once more the divine Apostles acted through the grace of the most Holy Spirit and gathered all the saints from the ends of the earth through their preaching, filling the world on high, which was the intention of the Creator from the beginning.

Now the purpose of the Triodion intended by the Holy Fathers on these three present feasts of the Publican and the Pharisee, the Prodigal Son, and the Second Coming is a kind of preparatory lesson and stimulation to prepare ourselves for the spiritual labors of the Fast, having put aside our usual corrupt habits. First of all they present to us the parable of the Publican and the Pharisee, and they call the week following precursory. For those who desire to go off to do military battle, first ascertain the time of the battle from the leaders, so that having cleaned and polished their weapons, and preparing well all their other matters, and having removed all obstacles from their path, they earnestly go forth to their labors, taking the necessary supplies. Often before battle they tell anecdotes and tales and parables to incite their hearts to zeal, driving off idleness, fear, despair and other inadequate feelings. So the divine Fathers herald the coming fast against the armies of demons as a passion which holds fast our souls to cleanse ourselves of the poison accumulated over a long period of time. Not yet possessing those benefits, let us strive to obtain them, and arming ourselves properly, so let us set off to the labors of the Fast.

Now the first weapon among the virtues is repentance and humility. And the temptation to attain the greatest humility is pride and arrogance. So they place before us first of all this present trustworthy parable from the Divine Gospel. It encourages us to shun the desire for the pride and arrogance of the Pharisee, and to cultivate the opposite desire of the Publican for humility and repentance. For the greatest and most grievous passion is pride and arrogance, since this is how the Devil fell from the heavens before the morning star and was cast into darkness. Because of this Adam, the father of our race, was driven from Paradise through partaking of the fruit. Through this example the Holy Fathers encourage all not to be proud of their successes, but always to be humble. For the Lord sets Himself against the proud, but He gives grace to the humble. Better a man who has sinned, if he knows that he has sinned and repents, than a man who has not sinned and thinks of himself as righteous. For Christ said, "I say to you that the Publican went down to his house justified rather than the Pharisee." This parable reveals that no one should exalt himself, even though he has done good deeds, but rather should always be humble and pray from his heart to God, for even if he should fall into the most serious sin, salvation is not far off.

Through the prayers of all Thy holy hymnographers,
O Christ our God, have mercy on us.
Amen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Saint Cyril of Alexandria
                               commentary on the Gospel of Saint Luke, Homily #120.

"Moderate yourself, O Pharisee: 'Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth, and a strong door about my lips' (Ps.140:3 LXX).
You speak to God Who knows all things. Await the decree of the Judge. None of those skilled in the practice of wrestling ever crowns himself; nor does any man receive the crown of himself, but awaits the summons of the arbiter. Lower your pride, for arrogance is both accursed and hated by God. Although, therefore, you fast with puffed up mind, your so doing will not avail you; your labor will be unrewarded; for you have mingled dung with your perfume. Even according to the law of Moses a sacrifice that had a blemish was not capable of being offered to God; for it was said unto him, 'Of sheep, and ox, that is offered for sacrifice, there must be no blemish therein' (Lev. 22:21). Since, therefore, your fasting is accompanied by pride, you must expect to hear God saying, This is not the fast that I have chosen (Cf.Isa. 58:5) ...You offer tithes, but you wrong in another way Him Who is honored by you, in that you condemn men generally. This is an act foreign to the mind that fears God."
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#41]
PRACTICAL STEPS TO HUMILITY - Fr. Spyridon
PRACTICAL STEPS TO HUMILITY
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Scripture for today

1 John 2:7-17
7Brethren, I write no new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which you heard from the beginning. 8Again, a new commandment I write to you, which thing is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away, and the true light is already shining.

9He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. 10He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him. 11But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

Their Spiritual State
12I write to you, little children,
Because your sins are forgiven you for His name’s sake.
13I write to you, fathers,
Because you have known Him who is from the beginning.
I write to you, young men,
Because you have overcome the wicked one.
I write to you, little children,
Because you have known the Father.
14I have written to you, fathers,
Because you have known Him who is from the beginning.
I have written to you, young men,
Because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you,
And you have overcome the wicked one.

Do Not Love the World
15Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world. 17And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.

Mark 14:3-9
3And being in Bethany at the house of Simon the leper, as He sat at the table, a woman came having an alabaster flask of very costly oil of spikenard. Then she broke the flask and poured it on His head. 4But there were some who were indignant among themselves, and said, “Why was this fragrant oil wasted? 5For it might have been sold for more than three hundred denarii and given to the poor.” And they criticized her sharply.

6But Jesus said, “Let her alone. Why do you trouble her? She has done a good work for Me. 7For you have the poor with you always, and whenever you wish you may do them good; but Me you do not have always. 8She has done what she could. She has come beforehand to anoint My body for burial. 9Assuredly, I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be told as a memorial to her.”

Galatians 5:22-6:2
22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

1Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. 2Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

27All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him. 28Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#43]
How to Find a Spiritual Father? (+ Orthodox Spiritual Life 101) - Bishop Alexei of Alaska
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Stay True To Orthodoxy | Orthodox Edit
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#45]
From Baptist to Orthodox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPPPAqBySHo
View Quote
Interesting, thanks for posting that, I've saved it and will watch it later.

I was raised Southern Baptist, many of my extended family are deacons, preachers, etc.

To put it simply, I've been "non-denominational" for many years and stopped going to any Church, as I became disenfranchised with the hypocrisy and lack of "structure" I suppose you would call it. SB's are often evangelical, anyone can be a preacher, start a church, etc. and basically do their own thing and preach by their own interpretation. That's the best reason I can speak to as to why I gave up on it.

I went to Romania a few years ago, Eastern Orthodoxy is prevalent there, since then I've been looking into it. To be honest, I think it's a good fit, close to Catholicism but not, I don't know that I would be comfortable as a Catholic and certainly not in another Protestant denomination.

That being said, I'm youtubing it and studying online, there are very few Orthodox churches near me and the ones that are close are very small (not that its a bad thing).

Any advice for me would be well received.

I'll leave this in parting.

Musical Aramaic rendition of the Our Father that moved the pope in Georgia

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:18:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Anastasios] [#46]
Originally Posted By navvet89:
Interesting, thanks for posting that, I've saved it and will watch it later.

I was raised Southern Baptist, many of my extended family are deacons, preachers, etc.

To put it simply, I've been "non-denominational" for many years and stopped going to any Church, as I became disenfranchised with the hypocrisy and lack of "structure" I suppose you would call it. SB's are often evangelical, anyone can be a preacher, start a church, etc. and basically do their own thing and preach by their own interpretation. That's the best reason I can speak to as to why I gave up on it.

I went to Romania a few years ago, Eastern Orthodoxy is prevalent there, since then I've been looking into it. To be honest, I think it's a good fit, close to Catholicism but not, I don't know that I would be comfortable as a Catholic and certainly not in another Protestant denomination.

That being said, I'm youtubing it and studying online, there are very few Orthodox churches near me and the ones that are close are very small (not that its a bad thing).

Any advice for me would be well received.

I'll leave this in parting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=locW-9S00VU
View Quote

No pews! Corporate worship while sitting is not "right" worship. That said, we make accommodations for those who can't stand for long periods of time. Some folding chairs up against a couple walls.

The early Jews stood, and the ancient Christians stood. The only time we sit is when the priest comes out of the sanctuary to give a sermon. We drop to the floor and sit until he finishes the sermon.

You'll be an "inquirer" at first. You can either show up before a service unannounced, or call the Church to let them know you'd be interested in attending. My first step would be to call first and ask if they have an open floor plan, and weed out those that don't, if any.

ETA Add Byzantine Rite as a must have.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 1:30:14 AM EDT
[#47]
How-To Intro to Orthodoxy: A Practical Guide for Inquirers

How-To Intro to Orthodoxy: A Practical Guide for Inquirers
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 5:20:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Anastasios] [#48]
Today's scripture

Luke 1:39-49, 56
39Now Mary arose in those days and went into the hill country with haste, to a city of Judah, 40and entered the house of Zacharias and greeted Elizabeth. 41And it happened, when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, that the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. 42Then she spoke out with a loud voice and said, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! 43But why is this granted to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44For indeed, as soon as the voice of your greeting sounded in my ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy. 45Blessed is she who believed, for there will be a fulfillment of those things which were told her from the Lord.”

The Song of Mary
46And Mary said:

“My soul magnifies the Lord,
47And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.
48For He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant;
For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed.
49For He who is mighty has done great things for me,
And holy is His name.

56And Mary remained with her about three months, and returned to her house.

Romans 14:19-23, 16:25-27
19Therefore let us pursue the things which make for peace and the things by which one may edify another. 20Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All things indeed are pure, but it is evil for the man who eats with offense. 21It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak. 22Do you have faith? Have it to yourself before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. 23But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.

25Now to Him who is able to establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery kept secret since the world began 26but now made manifest, and by the prophetic Scriptures made known to all nations, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, for obedience to the faith— 27to God, alone wise, be glory through Jesus Christ forever. Amen.

Galatians 5:22- 6:2
22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

1Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. 2Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

Matthew 6:1-13
Do Good to Please God
1“Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven. 2Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 3But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly.

The Model Prayer
5“And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 6But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. 7And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.

8“Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him. 9In this manner, therefore, pray:

Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
10Your kingdom come.
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
11Give us this day our daily bread.
12And forgive us our debts,
As we forgive our debtors.
13And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one.
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.

Philippians 2:5-11
5Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. 8And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. 9Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, 10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, 11and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Luke 10:38-42; 11:27-28
38Now it happened as they went that He entered a certain village; and a certain woman named Martha welcomed Him into her house. 39And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus’ feet and heard His word. 40But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me.”

41And Jesus answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. 42But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.”

Keeping the Word
27And it happened, as He spoke these things, that a certain woman from the crowd raised her voice and said to Him, “Blessed is the womb that bore You, and the breasts which nursed You!”

28But He said, “More than that, blessed are those who hear the word of God and keep it!”

Hebrews 13: 17-21
17Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account. Let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you.

Prayer Requested
18Pray for us; for we are confident that we have a good conscience, in all things desiring to live honorably. 19But I especially urge you to do this, that I may be restored to you the sooner.

Benediction, Final Exhortation, Farewell
20Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, 21make you complete in every good work to do His will, working in you what is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.

Luke 6: 17-23
Jesus Heals a Great Multitude
17And He came down with them and stood on a level place with a crowd of His disciples and a great multitude of people from all Judea and Jerusalem, and from the seacoast of Tyre and Sidon, who came to hear Him and be healed of their diseases, 18as well as those who were tormented with unclean spirits. And they were healed. 19And the whole multitude sought to touch Him, for power went out from Him and healed them all.

The Beatitudes
20Then He lifted up His eyes toward His disciples, and said:

“Blessed are you poor,
For yours is the kingdom of God.
21Blessed are you who hunger now,
For you shall be filled.
Blessed are you who weep now,
For you shall laugh.
22Blessed are you when men hate you,
And when they exclude you,
And revile you, and cast out your name as evil,
For the Son of Man’s sake.
23Rejoice in that day and leap for joy!
For indeed your reward is great in heaven,
For in like manner their fathers did to the prophets.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:54:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Scripture for today

Isaiah 1:1-20
Judah Called to Repentance
1The vision of Isaiah the son of Amoz, which he saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah.

The Wickedness of Judah
2Hear, O heavens, and give ear, O earth!
For the Lord has spoken:
“I have nourished and brought up children,
And they have rebelled against Me;
3The ox knows its owner
And the donkey its master’s crib;
But Israel does not know,
My people do not consider.”

4Alas, sinful nation,
A people laden with iniquity,
A brood of evildoers,
Children who are corrupters!
They have forsaken the Lord,
They have provoked to anger
The Holy One of Israel,
They have turned away backward.

5Why should you be stricken again?
You will revolt more and more.
The whole head is sick,
And the whole heart faints.
6From the sole of the foot even to the head,
There is no soundness in it,
But wounds and bruises and putrefying sores;
They have not been closed or bound up,
Or soothed with ointment.

7Your country is desolate,
Your cities are burned with fire;
Strangers devour your land in your presence;
And it is desolate, as overthrown by strangers.
8So the daughter of Zion is left as a booth in a vineyard,
As a hut in a garden of cucumbers,
As a besieged city.
9Unless the Lord of hosts
Had left to us a very small remnant,
We would have become like Sodom,
We would have been made like Gomorrah.

10Hear the word of the Lord,
You rulers of Sodom;
Give ear to the law of our God,
You people of Gomorrah:
11“To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices to Me?”
Says the Lord.
“I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams
And the fat of fed cattle.
I do not delight in the blood of bulls,
Or of lambs or goats.

12“When you come to appear before Me,
Who has required this from your hand,
To trample My courts?
13Bring no more futile sacrifices;
Incense is an abomination to Me.
The New Moons, the Sabbaths, and the calling of assemblies—
I cannot endure iniquity and the sacred meeting.
14Your New Moons and your appointed feasts
My soul hates;
They are a trouble to Me,
I am weary of bearing them.
15When you spread out your hands,
I will hide My eyes from you;
Even though you make many prayers,
I will not hear.
Your hands are full of blood.

16“Wash yourselves, make yourselves clean;
Put away the evil of your doings from before My eyes.
Cease to do evil,
17Learn to do good;
Seek justice,
Rebuke the oppressor;
Defend the fatherless,
Plead for the widow.

18“Come now, and let us reason together,”
Says the Lord,
“Though your sins are like scarlet,
They shall be as white as snow;
Though they are red like crimson,
They shall be as wool.
19If you are willing and obedient,
You shall eat the good of the land;
20But if you refuse and rebel,
You shall be devoured by the sword”;
For the mouth of the Lord has spoken.

Genesis 1:1-13
The History of Creation
1In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

3Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. 4And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness. 5God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day.

6Then God said, “Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.” 7Thus God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament; and it was so. 8And God called the firmament Heaven. So the evening and the morning were the second day.

9Then God said, “Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear”; and it was so. 10And God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters He called Seas. And God saw that it was good.

11Then God said, “Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb that yields seed, and the fruit tree that yields fruit according to its kind, whose seed is in itself, on the earth”; and it was so. 12And the earth brought forth grass, the herb that yields seed according to its kind, and the tree that yields fruit, whose seed is in itself according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 13So the evening and the morning were the third day.

Proverbs 1:1-20

The Beginning of Knowledge
1The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel:

2To know wisdom and instruction,
To perceive the words of understanding,
3To receive the instruction of wisdom,
Justice, judgment, and equity;
4To give prudence to the simple,
To the young man knowledge and discretion—
5A wise man will hear and increase learning,
And a man of understanding will attain wise counsel,
6To understand a proverb and an enigma,
The words of the wise and their riddles.

7The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,
But fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Shun Evil Counsel
8My son, hear the instruction of your father,
And do not forsake the law of your mother;
9For they will be a graceful ornament on your head,
And chains about your neck.

10My son, if sinners entice you,
Do not consent.
11If they say, “Come with us,
Let us lie in wait to shed blood;
Let us lurk secretly for the innocent without cause;
12Let us swallow them alive like Sheol,
And whole, like those who go down to the Pit;
13We shall find all kinds of precious possessions,
We shall fill our houses with spoil;
14Cast in your lot among us,
Let us all have one purse”—
15My son, do not walk in the way with them,
Keep your foot from their path;
16For their feet run to evil,
And they make haste to shed blood.
17Surely, in vain the net is spread
In the sight of any bird;
18But they lie in wait for their own blood,
They lurk secretly for their own lives.
19So are the ways of everyone who is greedy for gain;
It takes away the life of its owners.

The Call of Wisdom
20Wisdom calls aloud outside;
She raises her voice in the open squares.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Today's Scripture

Isaiah 5:16-25
16But the Lord of hosts shall be exalted in judgment,
And God who is holy shall be hallowed in righteousness.
17Then the lambs shall feed in their pasture,
And in the waste places of the fat ones strangers shall eat.

18Woe to those who draw iniquity with cords of vanity,
And sin as if with a cart rope;
19That say, “Let Him make speed and hasten His work,
That we may see it;
And let the counsel of the Holy One of Israel draw near and come,
That we may know it.”

20Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness;
Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

21Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes,
And prudent in their own sight!

22Woe to men mighty at drinking wine,
Woe to men valiant for mixing intoxicating drink,
23Who justify the wicked for a bribe,
And take away justice from the righteous man!

24Therefore, as the fire devours the stubble,
And the flame consumes the chaff,
So their root will be as rottenness,
And their blossom will ascend like dust;
Because they have rejected the law of the Lord of hosts,
And despised the word of the Holy One of Israel.
25Therefore the anger of the Lord is aroused against His people;
He has stretched out His hand against them
And stricken them,
And the hills trembled.
Their carcasses were as refuse in the midst of the streets.

For all this His anger is not turned away,
But His hand is stretched out still.

Genesis 4:16-26
16Then Cain went out from the presence of the Lord and dwelt in the land of Nod on the east of Eden. 17And Cain knew his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch. And he built a city, and called the name of the city after the name of his son—Enoch. 18To Enoch was born Irad; and Irad begot Mehujael, and Mehujael begot Methushael, and Methushael begot Lamech.

19Then Lamech took for himself two wives: the name of one was Adah, and the name of the second was Zillah. 20And Adah bore Jabal. He was the father of those who dwell in tents and have livestock. 21His brother’s name was Jubal. He was the father of all those who play the harp and flute. 22And as for Zillah, she also bore Tubal-Cain, an instructor of every craftsman in bronze and iron. And the sister of Tubal-Cain was Naamah.

23Then Lamech said to his wives:

“Adah and Zillah, hear my voice;
Wives of Lamech, listen to my speech!
For I have killed a man for wounding me,
Even a young man for hurting me.
24If Cain shall be avenged sevenfold,
Then Lamech seventy-sevenfold.”

A New Son
25And Adam knew his wife again, and she bore a son and named him Seth, “For God has appointed another seed for me instead of Abel, whom Cain killed.” 26And as for Seth, to him also a son was born; and he named him Enosh. Then men began to call on the name of the Lord.

Proverbs 5:15--6:4
15Drink water from your own cistern,
And running water from your own well.
16Should your fountains be dispersed abroad,
Streams of water in the streets?
17Let them be only your own,
And not for strangers with you.
18Let your fountain be blessed,
And rejoice with the wife of your youth.
19As a loving deer and a graceful doe,
Let her breasts satisfy you at all times;
And always be enraptured with her love.
20For why should you, my son, be enraptured by an immoral woman,
And be embraced in the arms of a seductress?

21For the ways of man are before the eyes of the Lord,
And He ponders all his paths.
22His own iniquities entrap the wicked man,
And he is caught in the cords of his sin.
23He shall die for lack of instruction,
And in the greatness of his folly he shall go astray.

1My son, if you become surety for your friend,
If you have shaken hands in pledge for a stranger,
2You are snared by the words of your mouth;
You are taken by the words of your mouth.
3So do this, my son, and deliver yourself;
For you have come into the hand of your friend:
Go and humble yourself;
Plead with your friend.
4Give no sleep to your eyes,
Nor slumber to your eyelids.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top