Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2017 10:02:15 AM EDT
(a day late)

One Jubilee since the miracle of the 6 day war https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-Day_War
Two Jubilees since the Balfour Declaration https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balfour_Declaration

Jerusalem Day Extracted from Wikipedia
-------------------------------------
Under the 1947 UN Partition Plan, which proposed the establishment of two states in the British Mandate of Palestine (Joel 3:1-3 cough cough) – a Jewish state and an Arab state – Jerusalem was to be an international city, neither exclusively Arab nor Jewish for a period of ten years, at which point a referendum would be held by Jerusalem residents to determine which country to join. The Jewish leadership accepted the plan, including the internationalization of Jerusalem, but the Arabs rejected the proposal.[4]

As soon as Israel declared its independence in 1948, it was attacked by its Arab neighbours. Jordan took over East Jerusalem and the Old City. Israeli forces made a concerted attempt to dislodge them, but were unable to do so. By the end of the 1948 Arab-Israeli War Jerusalem was left divided between Israel and Jordan. The Old City and East Jerusalem continued to be occupied by Jordan, and the Jewish residents were forced out. Under Jordanian rule, half of the Old City's fifty-eight synagogues were demolished and the Jewish cemetery on the Mount of Olives was plundered for its tombstones, which were used as paving stones and building materials.[5]

This state of affairs changed in 1967 as a result of the Six Day War. Before the start of the war, Israel sent a message to King Hussein of Jordan saying that Israel would not attack Jerusalem or the West Bank as long as the Jordanian front remained quiet. Urged by Egyptian pressure and based on deceptive intelligence reports, Jordan began shelling civilian locations in Israel[6] to which Israel responded on June 6 by opening the eastern front. The following day, June 7, 1967 (28 Iyar 5727), Israel captured the Old City of Jerusalem.

Later that day, Defense Minister Moshe Dayan declared what is often quoted during Yom Yerushalayim:[7][ 8 ]
This morning, the Israel Defense Forces liberated Jerusalem. We have united Jerusalem, the divided capital of Israel. We have returned to the holiest of our holy places, never to part from it again. To our Arab neighbors we extend, also at this hour—and with added emphasis at this hour—our hand in peace. And to our Christian and Muslim fellow citizens, we solemnly promise full religious freedom and rights. We did not come to Jerusalem for the sake of other peoples' holy places, and not to interfere with the adherents of other faiths, but in order to safeguard its entirety, and to live there together with others, in unity.[9]
View Quote
The war ended with a ceasefire on June 11, 1967.

---------------------------------------

Joel 3:

1 “In those days and at that time, when I restore the fortunes of Judah and Jerusalem,

I.e. modern Day Israel

2 I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat.

Also known as the valley of judgment, since "Josaphat" means "YHVH judges". In Joel 3:14 it is called the "valley of destruction" (A. V. "valley of decision").

There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel,

2,000 years of persecution and Israel is a nation.  The promise of Jeremiah 31:35-37 (made at the height of Judah's sin) remains:

35 This is what the Lord says, he who appoints the sun to shine by day, who decrees the moon and stars to shine by night, who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar—the Lord Almighty is his name: 36 “Only if these decrees vanish from my sight,”  declares the Lord, “will Israel ever cease being a nation before me.” 37 This is what the Lord says: “Only if the heavens above can be measured and the foundations of the earth below be searched out will I reject all the descendants of Israel because of all they have done,” declares the Lord

Back to Joel.......

....because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

One more scattering (see Zech 12-14), one more division of the land left to go until that day when the Mount of Olives is split.

3 They cast lots for my people and traded boys for prostitutes; they sold girls for wine to drink.

There's 1900 years of history in that statement (not counting the Babylonian captivity and the attempted extermination by the Persians in the book of Esther, etc....).

The land of Israel belongs to God, and he promised it to Abraham and his seed by sworn oath (Gen 22:17). The day is coming soon when Abraham and his seed will receive it in person (Gal 3:29).
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:59:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Got it done in 6 days, and rested on the Sabbath!
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been reading "The Lion's Gate" by Steven Pressfield recently.

Has some good stuff on parts of the operation to capture the Old City of Jerusalem. Which wasn't part of the original plan, and which Dayan resisted until he couldn't. I highly recommend it.

Also, interesting, the number of IDF soldiers and officers who were not religious at all. The paratrooper Lt that led the assault through the Lion's Gate asked to do so because he was religious (and was also one of the few people who actually knew Jerusalem enough to navigate) and was asked to teach his soldiers at the Wall how to pray when they captured it. Because they didn't know how, but suddenly wanted to.

Under Jordanian rule, half of the Old City's fifty-eight synagogues were demolished and the Jewish cemetery on the Mount of Olives was plundered for its tombstones, which were used as paving stones and building materials.[5]
View Quote
Jews were also barred from the Old City and the religious sites. You could see them only if you were a Muslim or a Christian with papers showing you were baptized.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top