Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2017 6:11:28 PM EDT
I want to join a church...
There are a lot of things that have happened in my life that made me think I should start going. My grandfather passed, my uncle died at a young age (30) and my grandmother has alzheimers. She always supported her church and went every sunday. I'm also going through a time where I think I'm becoming an alcoholic and I just want to devote my time doing something good. I used to volunteer a ton of my time to food drives and make a wish foundation, etc. but over the past few years it seems like work has taken over my entire life.

I used to go to a small congregational church in CT until I was about 12 years old. And lately I've spent a lot of time looking into my geology and found how my great great grandfather played a major role in bringing methodism to Mexico(Actually His father was the entire reason Methodism started in Mexico, but his son spread it) .  Ive read a lot, and think I want to join a methodist church.

How do I go about doing this.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Imo this is a perfect time to go to a variety of Christian churches in your area.  

I've been to many before my wife and i found one that we call our home base.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:38:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I chose not to join the UMC because of their stance on climate change and other liberal bs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I chose not to join the UMC because of their stance on climate change and other liberal bs.
View Quote

My girlfriend warned me of the leftist talking points they push...

I guess I need to visit and talk to a few different churches in the area.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#4]
The UMC isn't what it started as.  They are VERY liberal now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#5]
It never hurts to pray to God asking for his guidance in your search for a church. The closer the church's doctrine matches with God's word the more likely you will be comfortable there.  ymmv
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:25:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It never hurts to pray to God asking for his guidance in your search for a church. The closer the church's doctrine matches with God's word the more likely you will be comfortable there.  ymmv
View Quote

Good stuff
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#7]
The church isn't a building or a tradition or a club. It's the body of Christ made up of those who have put their faith in Christ and His atonement to reconcile them to God, and as such have been given the Holy Spirit as a promise (Eph. 1:13-14). 

Churches who have membership applications don't get it. 
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I guess I need to visit and talk to a few different churches in the area.
View Quote

This. Just go. Make the rounds at a few different congregations and see what calls to you.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:21:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
+1000
I would also recommend talking to the pastor. A church may have a great stand, but the pastor may not. I have seen pastors who bring in things subtly that lead to more questions and doubts. 2 Peter 2:1.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:54:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I hadn't been to church in many years and having moved I didn't have any connections in the area.  I attended approximately 12 churches until I found the right fit.  The Pastor asked me later why I chose this particular Church.

My answer, "you were the first Pastor to talk about repentance".  Obviously there is more to it that this but I was surprised candidly at what I would call the "touchy feely" nature of some of the messages I heard.  It just wasn't for me as a wanted a conservative, bible-based approach to worship.  I attended for several weeks before really settling in just to make sure.

I wish you the best in your search.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#11]
OP, I grew up Methodist and still think old school Methodism is one of the better Protestant denominations. Sadly the UMC has become very liberal, especially in New England.

I'm now Catholic and have to recommend you drop in to my awesome traditional Parish in Nashua just to get a feel for what else is out there in Christendom.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:32:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Doesn't matter what church you go to, just make sure they preach God's word and aren't pushing a human agenda. Honestly I find that a Baptist or non denominational will be generally safe in that way.
ETA: do what is best for you
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:  Doesn't matter what church you go to, just make sure they preach God's word and aren't pushing a human agenda. Honestly I find that a Baptist or non denominational will be generally safe in that way.
ETA: do what is best for you
View Quote

I've run into more than one non-denominational church pushing the Gospel of Wealth.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I also have found some non denoms to lack accountability and go off course.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top