First Reading AM 6:1A, 4-7

Thus says the LORD the God of hosts:
Woe to the complacent in Zion!
Lying upon beds of ivory,
stretched comfortably on their couches,
they eat lambs taken from the flock,
and calves from the stall!
Improvising to the music of the harp,
like David, they devise their own accompaniment.
They drink wine from bowls
and anoint themselves with the best oils;
yet they are not made ill by the collapse of Joseph!
Therefore, now they shall be the first to go into exile,
and their wanton revelry shall be done away with.

Responsorial Psalm PS 146:7, 8-9, 9-10

R. Praise the Lord, my soul!

Blessed he who keeps faith forever,
secures justice for the oppressed,
gives food to the hungry.
The LORD sets captives free.

The LORD gives sight to the blind.
The LORD raises up those who were bowed down;
the LORD loves the just.
The LORD protects strangers.

The fatherless and the widow he sustains,
but the way of the wicked he thwarts.
The LORD shall reign forever;
your God, O Zion, through all generations. Alleluia.

Second Reading 1 TM 6:11-16

But you, man of God, pursue righteousness,
devotion, faith, love, patience, and gentleness.
Compete well for the faith.
Lay hold of eternal life, to which you were called
when you made the noble confession in the presence of many witnesses.
I charge you before God, who gives life to all things,
and before Christ Jesus,
who gave testimony under Pontius Pilate for the noble confession,
to keep the commandment without stain or reproach
until the appearance of our Lord Jesus Christ
that the blessed and only ruler
will make manifest at the proper time,
the King of kings and Lord of lords,
who alone has immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light,
and whom no human being has seen or can see.
To him be honor and eternal power. Amen.

Alleluia CF. 2 COR 8:9

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Though our Lord Jesus Christ was rich, he became poor,
so that by his poverty you might become rich.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

Gospel LK 16:19-31

Jesus said to the Pharisees:
“There was a rich man who dressed in purple garments and fine linen
and dined sumptuously each day.
And lying at his door was a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores,
who would gladly have eaten his fill of the scraps
that fell from the rich man's table.
Dogs even used to come and lick his sores.
When the poor man died,
he was carried away by angels to the bosom of Abraham.
The rich man also died and was buried,
and from the netherworld, where he was in torment,
he raised his eyes and saw Abraham far off
and Lazarus at his side.
And he cried out, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me.
Send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue,
for I am suffering torment in these flames.'
Abraham replied,
‘My child, remember that you received
what was good during your lifetime
while Lazarus likewise received what was bad;
but now he is comforted here, whereas you are tormented.
Moreover, between us and you a great chasm is established
to prevent anyone from crossing who might wish to go
from our side to yours or from your side to ours.’
He said, ‘Then I beg you, father,
send him to my father’s house, for I have five brothers,
so that he may warn them,
lest they too come to this place of torment.'
But Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the prophets.
Let them listen to them.’
He said, ‘Oh no, father Abraham,
but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’
Then Abraham said, ‘If they will not listen to Moses and the prophets,
neither will they be persuaded if someone should rise from the dead.’”

Bible Study--26th Sunday in Ordinary Time--Cycle C
(with thanks to Vince Contreras at Sunday Scripture Study for Catholics)

"I ask you and I beseech you and, falling at your feet, I beg you: as long as we enjoy the brief respite of life, let us repent, let us be converted, let us become better, so that we will not have to lament uselessly like that rich man when we die and tears can do us no good. For even if you have a father or a son or a friend or anyone else who have influence with God, no one will be able to set you free, for your own deeds condemn you."-- St. John Chrysostom

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#1]

I know so many who search for an answer to the suffering we endure in this world. But there is an explanation right here in this weekends gospel.  We are so out of touch with the divine reality that we have to ask that questions.

Padre Pio spoke often about offering our suffering here on earth and the great good it does for so many souls.

We put ourselves first in the planning of our daily lives and forget what the ultimate goal is.

Would we really judge others, or be violent, or sin at all if we truly believed in the justice of God? If we knew the high stakes we face for committing our sins? What we are giving up by not knowing and loving God?

This is where the saints get it right and our entire world is getting it wrong.

The stuff that causes me to loose sleep at night....

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Great thoughts, Sister angelfire!

The stuff that causes me to loose sleep at night...
View Quote

worry not! be not afraid! you've already begun to gain the immense wisdom in it all! SLEEP WELL!

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:05:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you, BNA.

I was listening to the Gospel yesterday (had to go to Saturday mass due to work today) & a thought came to my mind. A lecture I had heard from Dr Hahn. About Purgatory. It made me think that this gospel is speaking about Purgatory. If the rich man was in Hell, there would be no conversation. Hell is a complete disconnect from God. But, in Purgatory, you are saved. But you must still cleanse your soul. Lazarus had his purgation on Earth. But most of us (the believers) will have it after earthly death. Unless, we choose the former.

Just wanting to run it by you. Wonder what you all thought.

ETA: Also, in Hell, you are so filled with hate & anger you would never call out/ pray for help. Many visionaries have spoke of visiting Purgatory. How, many souls, are in torment with purging flame. So, we are saved by Jesus's Sacrifice. But, we relieve the torment (or crust around our souls as one Saint describes it) that allows us to be one with God. Through works... the Beatitudes.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I was listening to the Gospel yesterday (had to go to Saturday mass due to work today) & a thought came to my mind. A lecture I had heard from Dr Hahn. About Purgatory. It made me think that this gospel is speaking about Purgatory. If the rich man was in Hell, there would be no conversation. Hell is a complete disconnect from God. But, in Purgatory, you are saved. But you must still cleanse your soul. Lazarus had his purgation on Earth. But most of us (the believers) will have it after earthly death. Unless, we choose the former.

ETA: Also, in Hell, you are so filled with hate & anger you would never call out/ pray for help. Many visionaries have spoke of visiting Purgatory. How, many souls, are in torment with purging flame. So, we are saved by Jesus's Sacrifice. But, we relieve the torment (or crust around our souls as one Saint describes it) that allows us to be one with God. Through works... the Beatitudes.
View Quote

Beautiful! I think you nailed it, skid2041! Some great and deep thinking there. THANK YOU for sharing!

Isn't it great the community we have here to uplift and inspire each other to that one day, (hopefully in the far, far distant future), of "getting home."

...me--if I slide into Purgatory at the end of my earthly days by my fingernails by the infinite love and grace of God--I will consider THAT a big WIN! So much sin on earth--hard to avoid it, but we must try, try, and try again to avoid it, confess, and repent.

It reminds me of a great quote I heard today on EWTN Radio about St. Louis de Montfort, who, on his deathbed, uttered his final words:

"PRAISED BE TO GOD THAT I CAN SIN NO MORE," and then left us to be with the Lord. He knew about the tendency of our flesh to long for earthly things; but, he prevailed! He made that giant leap from temporal to eternal. St. Louis de Montfort--pray for us!

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:28:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks again for you hard work BNA.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Beautiful! I think you nailed it, skid2041! Some great and deep thinking there. THANK YOU for sharing!

Isn't it great the community we have here to uplift and inspire each other to that one day, (hopefully in the far, far distant future), of "getting home."

...me--if I slide into Purgatory at the end of my earthly days by my fingernails by the infinite love and grace of God--I will consider THAT a big WIN! So much sin on earth--hard to avoid it, but we must try, try, and try again to avoid it, confess, and repent.

It reminds me of a great quote I heard today on EWTN Radio about St. Louis de Montfort, who, on his deathbed, uttered his final words:

"PRAISED BE TO GOD THAT I CAN SIN NO MORE," and then left us to be with the Lord. He knew about the tendency of our flesh to long for earthly things; but, he prevailed! He made that giant leap from temporal to eternal. St. Louis de Montfort--pray for us!

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/jakyl32/365%20Rosaries-%20APRIL/428louis7.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/jakyl32/365%20Rosaries-%20APRIL/428louis7.jpg

Thank you BNA! I believe it was St Louis De Monfort who said that we have "crusts" around our souls keeping us from perfect touch of God. He said that Confession/ Reconciliation, thins this "crust".  Saints & visionaries have said, that although souls are in torment in Purgatory. They are so greatly happy, because they know they will one day be with God. I try to strive  (desire) Heaven. Yet, I am probably enroute to Purgatory or worse. I pray for all those that have past. Hoping for my prayers to help them achieve Heaven & when I die they may intercede on my behalf.

Our Deacon told us of an experience he had. When he was in the deaconite, he was given the opportunity to live with the homeless on the street for 4 days. He & 3-4 other candidates walked, talked & slept with the "street" people. On one day, the candidates decided to go to daily mass @ the Cathedral. Shortly into the service, the usher came to them & told them they were making the parishioners "uncomfortable". He said, if tgey don't leave right now then he would call the police. He said they kind of took it as a badge of honor to be "kicked out of the Cathedral". But, only in a joking manner. That night he said as he layed down onto the sidewalk to sleep, a random homeless man layed cardboard onto him as a blanket. Then walked off....

What a beautiful witness. Many don't want to step out of our "comfort zones". But, that is were God is. I know the usher thought he was doing the right thing. Some homeless do come to disrupt. But, a little disruption does not stop us from our Path.

Due, to my job, I get the chance to interact with these people everyday. Most have just made poor decisions in life but, are decent people. Some are crazy & some are evil & vindictive. But, they are all Jesus.

God bless BNA. I will pray you have no need for Purgatory. Please, pray for me as well.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#7]
What a great story about your Deacon and the homeless skid2041. Magnificent.

The slice of life about St. Louis de Montfort was grand! A "crust." eh?

How does it go: "Jesus came to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comforted!" How true, how true.

Thanks for your kind thoughts!

I shall pray for you, Brother!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top