Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2016 2:20:54 PM EDT
Interesting morning at church. A lesbian couple showed up for the service. The issue was that they were all over each other on and off for the entire 90 minute service. What the heck made them think it was a good idea to be all lovey-dovey when you've got older immigrant women in their headscarves and long skirts all around you?

I'm Orthodox. Small parish, about 150 people, so newcomers really stand out, let alone people with unnatural hair dye jobs, tats, piercings all over their faces, and the constant PDAs. I first noticed this couple when they came in (I'm in choir and how we're positioned means I face the congregation with a view of the entire church - I also keep an eye out for anything untoward since no one else seems to care about security). When I sat down for the sermon, I could see them just my turning my head and really saw the PDAs for the first time (hugging, playing with each others hair, kisses, laying their heads on each other's shoulders, in addition to holding hands). They were also talking and laughing throughout the entire service.

I seriously thought they were there to make trouble. I kept an eye on them for the entire service and other than the PDAs and the constant talking, they didn't try anything. I told our priest about them right after the service as he was greeting everyone and his comment was that their actions were "inappropriate." His grimace said it all. They were leaving the church, but someone grabbed them and brought them into the hall for coffee hour. A friend of mine who is part of the unofficial welcoming committee grabbed me asked me to "make the pierced ladies welcome" as I often talk with visitors. I refused and told her why. She didn't try to argue with me, at least (she's much more liberal than I am).

I was wondering if they were there to ask to get married in my parish, just to cause trouble. You can easily find out through a quick Google search that the Orthodox Church opposes same sex marriage and will not perform same sex marriages at all. Period. Unlike some clergy, my priest will not marry any couple unless either is a member of the parish or close relative of a member. So even if you were Orthodox, but without a connection to my parish, our priest wouldn't marry you.

I now have one another friend angry at me because I took a stand against the lesbian couple. I'll leave her alone to cool down.

I have a number of gay friends and even one transgender friend. But I have always said that the minute someone from the LGBT "community" starts disrespecting or causing trouble with my church is where I draw the line. I've told my gay and transgendered friends that and they have grudgingly respected that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#1]
deleted

Had no idea this was a religious forum...

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude, you're in the religion forum. Behave yourself.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#3]
working a lawsuit or a government crack down on churches
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Edited ~ medicmandan

Please delete quote...

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 4:08:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I have a number of gay friends and even one transgender friend. But I have always said that the minute someone from the LGBT "community" starts disrespecting or causing trouble with my church is where I draw the line. I've told my gay and transgendered friends that and they have grudgingly respected that.
View Quote
I don't get this. Being acquainted with people is very different than counting them as friends. My line is drawn a lot further from the front door of Church.

And its not about being 'gay.' Let's substitute anything that you might consider overtly sinful. Would you as comfortably say 'I have a number of shoplifter friends' or 'I have a number of married friends having affairs.' I would hope not. But your comfort level with claiming 'gay friends' would indicate to me that your world view has already been highly corrupted.

And lastly, I am in no way advocating anything less than humane, cordial, polite, hospitable, respectful, loving Christian treatment of anyone who suffers with same sex attraction.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I volunteer\work for a small local church of less then 500 and we have had a few lesbian couples come in from time to time but they are super respectful in their behavior. I suspect their intentions were nefarious
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 4:14:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I volunteer\work for a small local church of less then 500 and we have had a few lesbian couples come in from time to time but they are super respectful in their behavior. I suspect their intentions were nefarious
View Quote

That's what I suspect. Their disrespectful behavior is what really set me off.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm of the opinion all are welcomed. Sinners need saving. Coming to flaunt a sin is not acceptable. But if we kicked out all the sinners the pews and pulpit would be empty.
The point is to leave your sins behind, not continue living as before.
We're called to love everyone and leave the judging to The Man.
I have a hard time with that. Also, I understand your anger, concern, and indignation.
Pda in church is unacceptable. Trolling church is unacceptable.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#9]
You'd better bake them a cake or else.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Marie,

I think it was a test. People looking for a reason to pick a fight.  

It's not really appropriate for a lot of PDA during mass. Most people with the right intention behave differently in the presence of our Lord. It is disrespectful and I completely understand your feelings.

They were before God when they did this and they can't hide from our God.

First and foremost we are stewards of Christ and knowing that God sees all thing and knows our hearts, our actions should rise above the action of the test. It removes all the oxygen from the fire they came to set.

But more, our response, makes their actions either right or very very wrong.

Some days people make it really hard to see God's face than others but if we don't stop the hate in ourselves first, it will continue to spread.

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm of the opinion all are welcomed. Sinners need saving. Coming to flaunt a sin is not acceptable. But if we kicked out all the sinners the pews and pulpit would be empty.
The point is to leave your sins behind, not continue living as before.
We're called to love everyone and leave the judging to The Man.
I have a hard time with that. Also, I understand your anger, concern, and indignation.
Pda in church is unacceptable. Trolling church is unacceptable.
View Quote

+1.  The church is a hospital for sinners.  (That's why I'm there.)  All the groping is inappropriate, though, so I don't really know how to respond, if at all, to that.

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I would have your AV team put a camera on them and record it and make sure that everyone treats them the same as anyone else.

sheepdog here
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like they may have been attempting to create a reaction.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 6:03:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would have your AV team put a camera on them and record it and make sure that everyone treats them the same as anyone else.

sheepdog here
View Quote

AV team? The Orthodox don't have AV teams. Our music is completely acapella.

ETA: I'm going to not be in church for the next two Sundays so I'm going to be sure to follow up and see if they come back.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 1:29:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

deleted

Had no idea this was a religious forum...

View Quote
Lol.

Right
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Trolls exist in the offline world too.

We have had a few out here in Utah. Keep and eye out for their friends who are trying to make videos as well.

A group of them just got arrested in my area, after failing at their devices they vandalized the home of the Bishop and were arrested.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like they were testing the waters.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

ETA: I'm going to not be in church for the next two Sundays so I'm going to be sure to follow up and see if they come back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sheepdog here

They probably had the camera themselves.

Somebody looking for their 15 minutes of viral fame.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#19]
What would Jesus do?
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What would Jesus do?
View Quote

Jesus met people where they were.  He didn't leave them there, however.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

What would Jesus do?
View Quote
have the sheepdogs keep an eye on them.

the Lord is my shepherd, I am but one of his sheep dogs

Link Posted: 9/14/2016 11:42:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What would Jesus do?
View Quote

Drive them out with a whip, and tell them, “It is written: ‘My house shall be a house of prayer,’ but you are making it a den of immorality.”
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 11:56:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't get this. Being acquainted with people is very different than counting them as friends. My line is drawn a lot further from the front door of Church.

And its not about being 'gay.' Let's substitute anything that you might consider overtly sinful. Would you as comfortably say 'I have a number of shoplifter friends' or 'I have a number of married friends having affairs.' I would hope not. But your comfort level with claiming 'gay friends' would indicate to me that your world view has already been highly corrupted.

And lastly, I am in no way advocating anything less than humane, cordial, polite, hospitable, respectful, loving Christian treatment of anyone who suffers with same sex attraction.

YMMV.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV.

Semantics

Are you not friends with gluttons? What about the envious and prideful? Greedy?

Mark 2:13-17
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Semantics

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

YMMV.

Semantics

If my friends are gluttons, or filled with pride, they certainly take pains to not appear as such. I get your point. Yes, we are all fallen. But your scripture post closes with Jesus Christ having dinner with sinners and calling those sinners to repentance. That is a far cry from the continued befriending of those who choose to openly defy the natural order and God's law. Matthew 10:14

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#25]
The tumult you grapple with is understandable.

In as much as it were possible their intentions were innocuous, I seriously doubt it based on your observations. Seems their intentions were a passive-aggressive foray into your church meant to nuance themselves against the liturgy. This is something I've long feared as becoming a sort of progressive-performance-art in a society that has created antitheses to tradition and norms and sent them forth to wreak havoc -- religion chief among them -- imbued with a sense of self-romantic, martyr-like, motivation.

It wasn't wrong for people in your parish to go out their way to welcome them -- here's hoping it defused them if only for a moment. Maybe they themselves learned an ounce of humility from an act of kindness.

As far your own reaction, you shouldn't feel down on yourself. The walls of your church are channel to God and his mystery that your heart is vested in.

I would, however, offer you the stance that I try to employ (at least attempt) when bearing witness to all that we're inundated with in this day and age and it's something I revisit in almost every confession:

With all of the seemingly endless displays of mockery and apostasy that I see daily, I so often find myself, if only momentarily, thinking "laugh it up people; you will know the fear of God one day" and feeling reassured by it -- even avenged.

Then I stop and realize: What a horrible thing for me to think. How dare I speak for, or invoke, the judgement and wrath of our Lord? Was my own thought even worse than the wretchedness that I witnessed because I know better?

Slava Isusu Christu

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:09:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If my friends are gluttons, or filled with pride, they certainly take pains to not appear as such. I get your point. Yes, we are all fallen. But your scripture post closes with Jesus Christ having dinner with sinners and calling those sinners to repentance. That is a far cry from the continued befriending of those who choose to openly defy the natural order and God's law. Matthew 10:14

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV.

Semantics

Repentance is a life long battle. As fantastic as it would be if the minute someone was even considering sinning they instead repented, that's rarely how it works. The lesbian couple in the op story may one day see the error of their ways and we hope they do but we don't turn our backs on them and leave them to parish.

It's an ongoing endeavor.

I think it's somewhere in the middle. We don't turn our backs on others yet we shouldn't put up with someone who continuously "refuses to listen to your message," as you pointed out in the cited scripture.

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I saw my friend yesterday who talked to the lesbian couple on Sunday. I asked her flat out why they were at our parish on Sunday. She said that they had been attending church with the mother of half of the couple, who goes to a Spanish language Catholic parish, but neither spoke Spanish and wanted services they could understand. My reply was that their behavior didn't indicate they were actually interested in the service and that I suspected they were there to make trouble. She admitted she was wondering about their real motives.

The Spanish language Catholic parish referred to is very conservative and I don't expect the folks there would have tolerated the PDAs or the same-sex relationship.

I talked with a friend who is an Orthodox priest and has had issues with same sex couples (some of whom were actually Orthodox). He told them they were allowed to attend services, but they were not allowed to show affection (hold hands, etc.), they could not promote same-sex marriage, gay issues, or the same sex lifestyle at the parish, and they could not receive Communion or any other sacraments while living the gay lifestyle. If they didn't like it, they could leave, and if they didn't follow the rules, they would be told to leave. The priest said one couple abided by the rules for 6-12 months then the Supreme Court ruled in favor of same-sex marriage and all heck broke loose with this couple. Thankfully they moved, right when they were going to be told to leave.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

He told them they were allowed to attend services, but they were not allowed to show affection (hold hands, etc.), they could not promote same-sex marriage, gay issues, or the same sex lifestyle at the parish, and they could not receive Communion or any other sacraments while living the gay lifestyle. If they didn't like it, they could leave, and if they didn't follow the rules, they would be told to leave.

View Quote
Entirely appropriate. The priest made the correct and proper response.

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
working a lawsuit or a government crack down on churches
View Quote

This. They were trolling your church.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#30]
I now have one another friend angry at me because I took a stand against the lesbian couple. I'll leave her alone to cool down.
View Quote

The real problem is that some people have a knee-jerk reaction of "OMG you're homophobic!" if you dare disagree with something a gay or lesbian does.

What they're not bothering to consider - or purposefully ignoring - is whether or not the same behavior would be tolerated in a straight couple.  And frankly from how you described their behavior, it would be in appropriate for ANY couple to act like that during a church service.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Sounds like you handled it well OP.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#32]
2nd week in a row that the lesbians haven't show up again.

My friend is fine again, as well
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I saw my friend yesterday who talked to the lesbian couple on Sunday. I asked her flat out why they were at our parish on Sunday. She said that they had been attending church with the mother of half of the couple, who goes to a Spanish language Catholic parish, but neither spoke Spanish and wanted services they could understand. My reply was that their behavior didn't indicate they were actually interested in the service and that I suspected they were there to make trouble. She admitted she was wondering about their real motives.

The Spanish language Catholic parish referred to is very conservative and I don't expect the folks there would have tolerated the PDAs or the same-sex relationship.

I talked with a friend who is an Orthodox priest and has had issues with same sex couples (some of whom were actually Orthodox). He told them they were allowed to attend services, but they were not allowed to show affection (hold hands, etc.), they could not promote same-sex marriage, gay issues, or the same sex lifestyle at the parish, and they could not receive Communion or any other sacraments while living the gay lifestyle. If they didn't like it, they could leave, and if they didn't follow the rules, they would be told to leave. The priest said one couple abided by the rules for 6-12 months then the Supreme Court ruled in favor of same-sex marriage and all heck broke loose with this couple. Thankfully they moved, right when they were going to be told to leave.
View Quote

If the  like this came to make trouble at my wife's orthodox church they would have been asked to leave. If they didn't they would be removed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If the  like this came to make trouble at my wife's orthodox church they would have been asked to leave. If they didn't they would be removed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I remember correctly, your wife's parish is ROCOR? My parish belongs to one of the "mainstream" jurisdictions.  Our ushers are older men, and "don't make a scene" seems to be the SOP (both theirs and the priest's). Me, I'd have thrown them out on their ear.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

2nd week in a row that the lesbians haven't show up again.

My friend is fine again, as well
View Quote
I think this speaks volumes as to their true intentions.

Prayers answered.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#36]
The church is the body of believers, those who have repented and have been justified by the blood of Christ. The church isn't for the unbeliever.  The church is led by the pastor, who equips the members so they can go out and share the good news.  This is done by proper exegesis of scripture.  The church body then goes out and shares the good news with the unsaved.

Anyone committing acts that are offensive can be removed.  Disturbing the service isn't right.  This is a separate matter from people's particular sin condition.  Paul wrote about all of this.  If someone that is not saved starts to attend a church, the preaching of the word should bring the conviction needed for repentance.  But the bible is clear that if people are living in open sin, they can ultimately be expelled from the group.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If I remember correctly, your wife's parish is ROCOR? My parish belongs to one of the "mainstream" jurisdictions.  Our ushers are older men, and "don't make a scene" seems to be the SOP (both theirs and the priest's). Me, I'd have thrown them out on their ear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi Marie. Actually, it's Saint Mary's located in Roswell. I don't think they are affiliated with the reform movement.

I can tell you that troublemakers would not be tolerated.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I was under the impression that gay was okay now in the catholic church.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm Orthodox, not Catholic. HUGE difference.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 11:54:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please send me a link to info on your fath.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:10:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

What do you mean by "ok"?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, not true.....though given what some of our prelates have said (to include our heretical pope), I can understand your confusion
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He told them they were allowed to attend services, but they were not allowed to show affection (hold hands, etc.), they could not promote same-sex marriage, gay issues, or the same sex lifestyle at the parish, and they could not receive Communion or any other sacraments while living the gay lifestyle. If they didn't like it, they could leave, and if they didn't follow the rules, they would be told to leave.

Yep.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

No, not true.....though given what some of our prelates have said (to include our heretical pope), I can understand your confusion
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He'a trolling. If he was serious he would have answered my question by now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top