Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2016 8:03:53 AM EDT
Just curious why some churches sing ONLY old hymns, and think there should be no modern music in church?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:16:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Could you point me to one? I'm sorry but I detest most of the modern music.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:17:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I for one do not care for the happy clappy service (as my wife's 99 year old grand mother puts it). I like my services traditional.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Could you point me to one? I'm sorry but I detest most of the modern music.
View Quote

Some Christian churches here in GA are like this, I have friends that attend them.(very traditional) I never asked them why, didn't want them to think I was thought it's wrong or something. I was just curious about it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:10:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Most modern Christian music sounds no different to me then heavy metal and Rock.  More of an emphasis on the loud music then the words.  In trying to listen to some Christian Rock, I frankly could not understand the words over the loudness of the music.

The old hymns are generally easy to understand the words to.

Obviously there are a few modern songs that can be understood and some old hymns may be difficult.

Your mileage may very.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#5]
And some only sing psalms.  Which is Gods hymnal. I think the main reason, besides tradition is that they like to keep a respectful attitude, loud music that has loud instruments can take away from the worship.  If you are concentrating on the guitar solo, you aren't concentrating on God.  And the fact that many of the songs now are man centered...how many say "I do ..." Or " I say.."  I'm not condemning all newer music, but if someone is saying they want new music to make them feel better, or to draw a younger crowd, or because they like it . Are they concentrating on what makes God happy or what makes them happy?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#6]
People like what they know.

I know people that can't understand why people are stuck on hymns & slam new songs.  Then they turn around and get stuck on worship songs from the 90's and slam on newer songs.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe you guys can answer this:
What's the line between "entertainment as worship" and "worship as entertainment"?
A lot of people poo-poo "rock songs" and "happy clappy" songs (as if any emotion is a bad thing) at church. But how about when it's an entertainment setting, such as a concert on a Saturday night at a church, where the performers are playing songs praising the Lord? A old example of this is Handel's Messiah (complete with too many "hallelujahs"), modern examples are say...Rend Collective. I would like to think this is acceptable.
Now why is it unacceptable 12 hours later?
I can understand the issues with a church blowing money on unneeded stuff like stage-lighting and fog machines, but many people condemn all of it, including the use of certain instruments (which are owned by the musicians) and musical genres.
No one who attacks modern worship can seem to answer this, or even define where their "line" is.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#8]
They do modern songs at our SBC and I think it brings a more positive/uplifting attitude. All the preaching comes straight from the bible, with a few stories that relate thrown in. My fathers church is like going back in time a 100 years. Women wear long dresses, don't cut their hair ect...I have no problem with either, ours just fits us better.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What's the line between "entertainment as worship" and "worship as entertainment"?

A lot of people poo-poo "rock songs" and "happy clappy" songs (as if any emotion is a bad thing) at church. But how about when it's an entertainment setting, such as a concert on a Saturday night at a church, where the performers are playing songs praising the Lord? A old example of this is Handel's Messiah (complete with too many "hallelujahs"), modern examples are say...Rend Collective. I would like to think this is acceptable.

I can understand the issues with a church blowing money on unneeded stuff like stage-lighting and fog machines, but many people condemn all of it, including the use of certain instruments (which are owned by the musicians) and musical genres.

No one who attacks modern worship can seem to answer this, or even define where their "line" is.  
View Quote

To answer your question, it is a regulative vs normative view of worship at its core.  Regulative says only what the Lord told us to do, as demonstrated in the Bible in all the verses dealing with worship.  Normative meaning if He didn't say don't do it, then it's good.  I don't hold to either as I think there is some middle ground.  I think the delegated worship should be just that.  Worship.  Should be ALL about God. When we are trying to make a mood, or set a feeling, or show we are in the moment by raising hands, are we truly worshiping God? I guess someone could be overwhelmed and raise their hand...but I'm betting 90% or more of the time it's because they saw someone else do it and want to. I also understand that when my favorite hymns were introduced, they were " that new music" .  Where I attend services now, they play guitars and drums.. but it is toned down.  I have been to some churches where I honestly wanted earplugs. I'm old fashioned I guess, but I want respectful worship that isn't about the latest songs, and the coolest music and mood, but about God.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:49:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
To answer your question, it is a regulative vs normative view of worship at its core.  Regulative says only what the Lord told us to do, as demonstrated in the Bible in all the verses dealing with worship.  Normative meaning if He didn't say don't do it, then it's good.  I don't hold to either as I think there is some middle ground.  I think the delegated worship should be just that.  Worship.  Should be ALL about God. When we are trying to make a mood, or set a feeling, or show we are in the moment by raising hands, are we truly worshiping God? I guess someone could be overwhelmed and raise their hand...but I'm betting 90% or more of the time it's because they saw someone else do it and want to. I also understand that when my favorite hymns were introduced, they were " that new music" .  Where I attend services now, they play guitars and drums.. but it is toned down.  I have been to some churches where I honestly wanted earplugs. I'm old fashioned I guess, but I want respectful worship that isn't about the latest songs, and the coolest music and mood, but about God.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Speaking of verses, Psalm 33 and 150, as well as the encouragement to "sing a new song".

But some want to saddle people with singing the same old songs the same old way. Yet they cannot say what about the music is wrong.

I even had a guy tell me that "swooping sounds", which he couldn't quantify whatsover, were of Satan.

To me, calling any song that praises the Lord satanic is waaay to close to blasphemy of the Holy Spirit for me to be comfortable with.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Like I said, even the hymns that I enjoy were new at one time.  I'm sure people complained about them in their day.  I don't care as much about when the songs were written as much as what the purpose of the music is.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Like I said, even the hymns that I enjoy were new at one time.  I'm sure people complained about them in their day.  I don't care as much about when the songs were written as much as what the purpose of the music is.
View Quote
Fair enough. Enjoying hymns is not wrong. What's wrong is when people say that God only enjoys hymns.

Then they'll turn around and claim that real Christians should be able to worship to any kind of music, as a case for someone else liking what they like, and they do this without seeing the irony.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Do you have a YouTube of a swooping sound?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Do you have a YouTube of a swooping sound?
View Quote
Lol no. Just that Hillsong uses them and everything they do is bad.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#15]
19th Century Protestant hymn turned evangelical contemporary staple sung in a 12th century church in the Jewish state of Israel:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top