Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/16/2015 12:15:11 AM EDT
His wife's already moved out.  @ least their kids are already adults.  Sounds like their marriage has been broken for some time.  Does explain his multiple plates @ the local Flying Saucer.  

ETA:  Thread has run its course.  Mods, please lock.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 1:48:25 AM EDT
[#1]
So he's human?
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 4:47:30 AM EDT
[#2]
This happened at a church we were a member of.  Never ever would have seen it coming.  

Always two sides to a story; doesn't make it right or a good thing but it takes two to tango.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So he's human?
View Quote

Indeed, they are just people.    Like the Pastor at my former church, who got caught having a relationship with a church members wife.    While his wife was wheelchair bound with MS.   He used to be very well liked too by all.

Human indeed.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:  So he's human?
View Quote

Yeah, he's human.  Not sure what the point of marriage is anymore.  Maybe the Wiccans are right.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Is he stepping down as pastor?
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:  Is he stepping down as pastor?
View Quote

Nope.  His predecessor didn't either when he got divorced long before I started attending.

I've had questions about the utility of modern marriage for some time, and this just adds more ticks in the negative column.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nope.  His predecessor didn't either when he got divorced long before I started attending.

I've had questions about the utility of modern marriage for some time, and this just adds more ticks in the negative column.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Look for the answers in Matthew 19 and Mark 10.

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, tremendously helpful.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I can't judge the guy. We're all sinners.

For all we know, she walked out on him.

That said, Christ was pretty blunt on the subject of marriage and divorce...
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  I can't judge the guy. We're all sinners.

View Quote

By his account, they had grown apart and their marriage had been dead for awhile.  I'm not blaming him, not blaming her.  They're both friends, albeit he's a much closer friend.

I'm a bit blindsided by it, as they kept their issues a secret, as pastors do, and I'm left wondering what the point of marriage is.  He ADVISES people on how to fix their marriages.  He does pre-marital counseling.  If he can't do it, then what's the point?

"I take this woman to be my wife 'til death do us part, or we get tired of each other, or I take up fucking my secretary..."
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Pastors and their wives are human.  My wife who is religious was surprised a neighbor who is a pastor had an affair, because she stated "he's preacher".  Religion does not inoculate people from being human and we never know what the relationship was like between he and his wife.  

Secular marriage counselors get divorced also.  

Keep in mind as we age, we emotionally grow and change.  I am a much different person when compared to who I was 15 years ago, and even 5 years ago.  Life gave me a lot to learn in the last 5 years, introduced new people into my life and took them out of my life, I graduated from college and subjects such as psychology and sociology taught me a shit ton about what makes us who we are.  

Unless the married couple is malleable and adapts to their spouses changes, a marriage will fail.  

I have been married 30 years next month, not always pretty but we make it work and love each other still.  

As I mentioned above my wife is religious and as most of you know I am atheist.  My being truthful with her about my lack of belief was an epiphany for us.  

I am not posting to this thread for debate and I won't debate in this forum as I promised, I just wanted to share a bit of wisdom that comes with 30 years of marriage.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I can't judge the guy. We're all sinners.

View Quote

His bluntness on divorce was really about remarriage.  Divorce is just a legal method to protect oneself.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:21:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

By his account, they had grown apart and their marriage had been dead for awhile.  I'm not blaming him, not blaming her.  They're both friends, albeit he's a much closer friend.

I'm a bit blindsided by it, as they kept their issues a secret, as pastors do, and I'm left wondering what the point of marriage is.  He ADVISES people on how to fix their marriages.  He does pre-marital counseling.  If he can't do it, then what's the point?out give your life to Christ that means all day

"I take this woman to be my wife 'til death do us part, or we get tired of each other, or I take up fucking my secretary..."
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm a bit blindsided by it, as they kept their issues a secret, as pastors do, and I'm left wondering what the point of marriage is.  He ADVISES people on how to fix their marriages.  He does pre-marital counseling.  If he can't do it, then what's the point?out give your life to Christ that means all day

We should concern ourselves with our own sins and not fixate on others. When you give yourself to Christ it supposed to be every minute of every day, not just for an hour on Sunday. Would you be comfortable repeating the part in red in church? Just a thought
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

We should concern ourselves with our own sins and not fixate on others. When you give yourself to Christ it supposed to be every minute of every day, not just for an hour on Sunday. Would you be comfortable repeating the part in red in church? Just a thought
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you familiar with the fallacies of logic "Tu Quoque" and "Ad Hominem?"
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  By his account, they had grown apart and their marriage had been dead for awhile.  I'm not blaming him, not blaming her.  They're both friends, albeit he's a much closer friend.

I'm a bit blindsided by it, as they kept their issues a secret, as pastors do, and I'm left wondering what the point of marriage is.  He ADVISES people on how to fix their marriages.  He does pre-marital counseling.  If he can't do it, then what's the point?out give your life to Christ that means all day  (This would seem to have been added by Effenpig - just noticed it)

Given I attend church in a brewpub, yep.  Secretaries sometimes seem a significant threat to marriages.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:01:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The F-Bomb is socially unacceptable but the bible says nothing about it.  "name in vain" is not referencing f-bombs.  We as a society decided that it is uncouth, not the bible or any other book.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:30:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The F-Bomb is socially unacceptable but the bible says nothing about it.  "name in vain" is not referencing f-bombs.  We as a society decided that it is uncouth, not the bible or any other book.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It talks about foul language, and the use of it in the New Testament. Languages evolve and change.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I have to confess I'm greatly amused to realize I'm called out on the f-word by someone who references it in his username.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm a bit blindsided by it, as they kept their issues a secret, as pastors do, and I'm left wondering what the point of marriage is.  He ADVISES people on how to fix their marriages.  He does pre-marital counseling.  If he can't do it, then what's the point?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, you shouldn't get married unless you're absolutely devoted to each other and you're certain you'll continue to make each other the priority for the rest of your lives. Marriage isn't broken, we're just not as dedicated to it as we used to be.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Who's wife is he banging?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:48:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:  Who's wife is he banging?
View Quote

The wife of a grammatically challenged member.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have to confess I'm greatly amused to realize I'm called out on the f-word by someone who references it in his username.  
View Quote

I don't profess to be a Christian,  that's the difference here. I can swear and spew vulgarity all day without being hypocritical
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I surely am not a christian but I avoid socially unacceptable language. I find it degrades the point being made.

Foul language is determined by the society. Irrelevant of what religious texts say.  

So where in the NT does it say not to drop the f-bomb? Of course I know what the OT states.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:.."

Well, you shouldn't get married unless you're absolutely devoted to each other and you're certain you'll continue to make each other the priority for the rest of your lives. Marriage isn't broken, we're just not as dedicated to it as we used to be.
View Quote

Which, IMO, has everything to do with the redefinition of marriage.  Once marriage became less something that people do to raise a family and more about something they do to make themselves happy, it became much easier to walk away from a marriage that wasn't making one happy.

Marriage shouldn't be 50-50.  It should be 100-100 (says the guy who has never been married )
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't profess to be a Christian,  that's the difference here. I can swear and spew vulgarity all day without being hypocritical
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough.  I don't profess to be a good Xian.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Which, IMO, has everything to do with the redefinition of marriage.  Once marriage became less something that people do to raise a family and more about something they do to make themselves happy, it became much easier to walk away from a marriage that wasn't making one happy.

Marriage shouldn't be 50-50.  It should be 100-100 (says the guy who has never been married )
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I wouldn't want the old type of marriage. I'd rather die alone. Sign me up for the new fangled kind where you adore each other and all that.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I found an interesting site with some numbers on divorce.

Divorce happens to everyone.

I have an opinion on why the divorce rate is lower in the northeast.  They don't marry as often, instead choose to live together.

Education levels, the same thing.  Educated people tend to choose not the get married also, for many reasons including the financial burden associated with getting divorced.

I would be amiss to not state that 3 years ago I opted to stay in my marriage because of 2 reasons, I wanted to stay true to the promise I made when we married and the financial ruin terrified me.  Had the financial ruin not been staring me in the face I most likely would have left.  I am glad that fear slowed my exit because my wife and I worked things out but it has not been easy.  

Pastors are just as human as the rest of us, many devoutly religious people want to put their church leaders on a pedestal and just don't like to admit the pastor is just like them.  

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I wouldn't want the old type of marriage. I'd rather die alone. Sign me up for the new fangled kind where you adore each other and all that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think you understood what I meant.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Catholics who attend mass weekly together have about the lowest divorce rate of any group.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Not appropriate for this forum.  ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Catholics who attend mass weekly together have about the lowest divorce rate of any group.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which was mentioned and dissected in the essay.  

"They have a lower percentage of Roman Catholics, a denomination that does not recognize divorce. Anthony Jordan, executive director of  the Southern Baptist Convention in Oklahoma commented: "I applaud the Catholics," says Jordan. "I don't think we as Protestant evangelists have done nearly as well preparing people for marriage. And in the name of being loving and accepting, we have not placed the stigma on divorce that we should have."
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
snip
View Quote

We can save that for GD and there, let it rip, but here keep it civil.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

I'm being civil and not trying to start anything.  Not trying to bash on people who go to church but I just can't believe how many think that just because someone does they are held to a higher standard.  

I'm a baptized Catholic and my wife comes from an extremely involved Mormon family.  I stopped attending church when I was in Jr High and will never go back.  She doesn't attend either and has no desire to.  We have both seen what it can do to people and how it can change them.  We have been married for 13yrs and have 4 kids.  They say prayers every night before bed and are taught the golden rule and to respect everyone. We have had our ups and downs in marriage but ultimately understand what it is about.

I think that the problem with current marriage and divorce rates have much more to do with social media and the pussification of the country then being religion based.  It is so easy to hook up or move on with media the way it is and people have it so easy they have become disconnected from their spouses.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

"They have a lower percentage of Roman Catholics, a denomination that does not recognize divorce. Anthony Jordan, executive director of  the Southern Baptist Convention in Oklahoma commented: "I applaud the Catholics," says Jordan. "I don't think we as Protestant evangelists have done nearly as well preparing people for marriage. And in the name of being loving and accepting, we have not placed the stigma on divorce that we should have."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except Catholics DO recognize divorce - as ending the cicil legal contract, but not the sacramental joining of man and woman.  Not all Catholics are small "o" orthodox, but the Catholic views on family and marriage as a vocation are well outside mainstream secular society's.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Except Catholics DO recognize divorce - as ending the cicil legal contract, but not the sacramental joining of man and woman.  Not all Catholics are small "o" orthodox, but the Catholic views on family and marriage as a vocation are well outside mainstream secular society's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting take on  Catholics and divorce.  My sister lives in a very deep southern cresent city and at one time wanted to convert to Catholicism.  She went through most of the steps and was all for it until they tracked down her son and started asking questions about her first marriage and her divorce.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Interesting take on  Catholics and divorce.  My sister lives in a very deep southern cresent city and at one time wanted to convert to Catholicism.  She went through most of the steps and was all for it until they tracked down her son and started asking questions about her first marriage and her divorce.
View Quote

I take it she had remarried?  

Like I wrote, divorce is a regrettable but sometimes necessary way to protect a spous and/or children from the other spouse/parent, but the Catholic belief is that divorce does not end a sacramental marriage.

There is a procedure wherein the Church investigates marriages in an effort to determne if the marriage was in fact, sacramental.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:12:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:  I take it she had remarried?  

Like I wrote, divorce is a regrettable but sometimes necessary way to protect a spous and/or children from the other spouse/parent, but the Catholic belief is that divorce does not end a sacramental marriage.

There is a procedure wherein the Church investigates marriages in an effort to determne if the marriage was in fact, sacramental.
View Quote

Snort.  Apparently a donation can satisfy the investigation.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah she was married, Once to one and twice to another.  She has been successfully married to #3 for over 15 years and loves him dearly.  

My point, Catholics don't have as much of divorce rate because the church controls the marriages so closely.  Come on, they even control a married couples choice of birth control.  

Catholics, can't get divorced without a mess at church, legally and socially.  The rest of us deal with the latter 2 items only so divorce is easier for the rest of us, for good or bad.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Is he stepping down as pastor?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That is a lie.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:28:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yeah she was married, Once to one and twice to another.  She has been successfully married to #3 for over 15 years and loves him dearly.  

My point, Catholics don't have as much of divorce rate because the church controls the marriages so closely.  Come on, they even control a married couples choice of birth control.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol.

The Church does a terrible job of "controlling" marriages. Does a pretty terrible job of teaching people about the church's views on BC as well, let alone to the point where we could call it "control". (Plus, pretty much every Prot church was in line with the RCC teaching on Birth Control until the 1930's when, I guess, the Holy Spirit just came down and told them they were Doing It Wrong all along).  

The Chuch has a low divorce rate amongst regular Mass going Catholics because, at a very basic level and even though it does a terrible job of preaching it, the RCC holds onto what Christ says about marriage. And that at the very least helps. I assume our rate would be even lower if the Chuch did a half decent job of teaching it and basic marriage prep (my marriage prep was a joke).

Also, the teaching on BC, imho, has a direct correlation as well. After all, Humanae Vitae warned us of this: "Let them first consider how easily this course of action could open wide the way for marital infidelity and a general lowering of moral standards." http://w2.vatican.va/content/paul-vi/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-vi_enc_25071968_humanae-vitae.html/

Most other church's don't even bother to hold to Christ's teaching, hence why their rate is worse.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That is a lie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a lie.

Well, when the wife's family has money, and there's issue from the marriage, how else does it get annulled?  
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

lol.

The Church does a terrible job of "controlling" marriages. Does a pretty terrible job of teaching people about the church's views on BC as well, let alone to the point where we could call it "control". (Plus, pretty much every Prot church was in line with the RCC teaching on Birth Control until the 1930's when, I guess, the Holy Spirit just came down and told them they were Doing It Wrong all along).  

The Chuch has a low divorce rate amongst regular Mass going Catholics because, at a very basic level and even though it does a terrible job of preaching it, the RCC holds onto what Christ says about marriage. And that at the very least helps. I assume our rate would be even lower if the Chuch did a half decent job of teaching it and basic marriage prep (my marriage prep was a joke).

Also, the teaching on BC, imho, has a direct correlation as well. After all, Humanae Vitae warned us of this: "Let them first consider how easily this course of action could open wide the way for marital infidelity and a general lowering of moral standards." http://w2.vatican.va/content/paul-vi/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-vi_enc_25071968_humanae-vitae.html/

Most other church's don't even bother to hold to Christ's teaching, hence why their rate is worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol.

In your opinion, what would be the reason atheist have the lowest rate?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm saying that raising a family and being unhappy is not good and that not raising a family but being happy is better, if one has to choose. To me, as a modern person, an arrangement where a couple tolerates each other, raises children and finds happiness and fulfillment in other things than each other is a horrible thing.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:53:04 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It takes two in a marriage. One person can try all they want to work on things, but without the other's "buy-in" there is nothing you can do, except pray and leave it in God's hands. Whether some want to admit it or not, we were given free will to make our own choices. I honestly believe that there are some marriages not sanctioned by God, and that his will is not always to maintain the union, but to disolve it in order to fulfill his plan for us.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#47]
What does the reference to "multiple plates at the local Flying Saucer" mean?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:  What does the reference to "multiple plates at the local Flying Saucer" mean?
View Quote

Flying Saucer is a chain of decent beer pubs - if you drink a certain # of beers from their extensive list, they give you an engraved plate, a party, and put the plate up on their wall.  If you have multiple plates, you drink there a lot.

Amusingly, our intern had started on a plate when he went back to seminary.  His friends kept his Flying Saucer card, and kept adding beers to his account until it was time for him to graduate, ordain, and return as the 1st full time pastor @ the brew-pub mission.

The only beer available for him to drink to finish his plate - just one beer left - was Bud Light.  Lutherans are evil, evil people.  

Just talked to my buddy last night.  He just got back from a week down on the coast by himself - camping out & surfing.  Sounds like he's doing ok.  I have more experience w/ the single thing, so I'll have to coach him.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Well, when the wife's family has money, and there's issue from the marriage, how else does it get annulled?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a lie.

In pretty much the same way as any other annulment procedure. Annulement's can cost money because canon lawyers and such typically don't work for free. Now, I will agree that some places are entirely too, shall we say "loose", in handing out annulements, but you don't just get one for tossing $200 at the bishop.  

I put the claims of "You just give a donation and get an annulment!" in the same bin as the "Mah pastor done told me he went to a Catlick Church and done got himself an indulgence for $25!" claims.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Flying Saucer is a chain of decent beer pubs - if you drink a certain # of beers from their extensive list, they give you an engraved plate, a party, and put the plate up on their wall.  If you have multiple plates, you drink there a lot.

Amusingly, our intern had started on a plate when he went back to seminary.  His friends kept his Flying Saucer card, and kept adding beers to his account until it was time for him to graduate, ordain, and return as the 1st full time pastor @ the brew-pub mission.

The only beer available for him to drink to finish his plate - just one beer left - was Bud Light.  Lutherans are evil, evil people.  

Just talked to my buddy last night.  He just got back from a week down on the coast by himself - camping out & surfing.  Sounds like he's doing ok.  I have more experience w/ the single thing, so I'll have to coach him.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  What does the reference to "multiple plates at the local Flying Saucer" mean?

Thanks, and Bud Light is only good for drowning garden slugs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top