User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That goes both ways.  And to compound things I'd say there are many Protestants and Catholics who don't know much about what their church believes.  I think there are lots on both sides that are what they are because that's what their parents were etc.  they don't look any further than that.  Parents were Baptist, Catholic etc so they don't question anything and that's what they are.
View Quote

Undoubtedly true.

However, having been on both sides of this line now, I can say with complete confidence that while too many Catholics may not understand WHY their Church teaches what it does, the greatest amount of sheer ignorance I've run into is from people who claim things about the CC that simply are not true, and are easily proven as such.

Idol worshippers? Seriously?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:29:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That goes both ways.  And to compound things I'd say there are many Protestants and Catholics who don't know much about what their church believes.  I think there are lots on both sides that are what they are because that's what their parents were etc.  they don't look any further than that.  Parents were Baptist, Catholic etc so they don't question anything and that's what they are.
View Quote

Exactly, traditions of men. Same as the Pharisees and Sadducees.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sure is.  I especially like how he used the photo of new priests lying prostate at their ordination, since he obviously has no idea what that gesture means.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You really have no idea what you are talking about. But I'm sure reverend Billy Bob learned  you about them Catholics.

Your little rant is right out of a Jack chick tract.

Sure is.  I especially like how he used the photo of new priests lying prostate at their ordination, since he obviously has no idea what that gesture means.

Silly!

They're worshipping the Death Cookie in the corner by the idol!

Sheesh!
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Undoubtedly true.

However, having been on both sides of this line now, I can say with complete confidence that while too many Catholics may not understand WHY their Church teaches what it does, the greatest amount of sheer ignorance I've run into is from people who claim things about the CC that simply are not true, and are easily proven as such.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Undoubtedly true.

Veneration vs. Worship...where is the line?

- they above all instruct the faithful diligently in matters relating to intercession and invocation of the saints, the veneration of relics, and the legitimate use of images, teaching them that the saints who reign together with Christ offer up their prayers to God for men, that it is good and beneficial suppliantly to invoke them and to have recourse to their prayers, assistance and support in order to obtain favors from God through His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord, -

- Moreover, that the images of Christ, of the Virgin Mother of God, and of the other saints are to be placed and retained especially in the churches, and that due honor and veneration is to be given them; not, however, that any divinity or virtue is believed to be in them by reason of which they are to be venerated, or that something is to be asked of them, or that trust is to be placed in images, as was done of old by the Gentiles who placed their hope in idols;[9] but because the honor which is shown them is referred to the prototypes which they represent, so that by means of the images which we kiss and before which we uncover the head and prostrate ourselves, we adore Christ and venerate the saints whose likeness they bear.-

You shall not make for yourselves idols, nor shall you set up for yourselves an image or a sacred pillar, nor shall you place a figured stone in your land to bow down to it; for I am the Lord your God (Lev. 26:1).

Being then the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man (Acts 17:29).

It does seem like dangerous flirting with images...at best.

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

- they above all instruct the faithful diligently in matters relating to intercession and invocation of the saints, the veneration of relics, and the legitimate use of images, teaching them that the saints who reign together with Christ offer up their prayers to God for men, that it is good and beneficial suppliantly to invoke them and to have recourse to their prayers, assistance and support in order to obtain favors from God through His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord, -

- Moreover, that the images of Christ, of the Virgin Mother of God, and of the other saints are to be placed and retained especially in the churches, and that due honor and veneration is to be given them; not, however, that any divinity or virtue is believed to be in them by reason of which they are to be venerated, or that something is to be asked of them, or that trust is to be placed in images, as was done of old by the Gentiles who placed their hope in idols;[9] but because the honor which is shown them is referred to the prototypes which they represent, so that by means of the images which we kiss and before which we uncover the head and prostrate ourselves, we adore Christ and venerate the saints whose likeness they bear.-

You shall not make for yourselves idols, nor shall you set up for yourselves an image or a sacred pillar, nor shall you place a figured stone in your land to bow down to it; for I am the Lord your God (Lev. 26:1).

Being then the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man (Acts 17:29).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Undoubtedly true.

Veneration <> Worship.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top