Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#1]
So with these 'books'(see list below) in circulation in the post apostolic period, Christians simply 'knew' which were canonical and which were not? Nope, some overriding authority filtered thru them and decided. It wasn't any protestant branch since they did not exist prior to the reformation. There was only one Church.

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Please read history.  Yes there was only one Church.  Christianity.  There were different denominations, for lack of a better term, and the Catholic Church was but one.  The RCC was not around at this point. If it was, in your opinion, are you saying that Paul was Roman Catholic?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Please read history.  Yes there was only one Church.  Christianity.  There were different denominations, for lack of a better term, and the Catholic Church was but one. Name them, the other denominations. I'll patiently wait for your list and any documentation that you can find of their existence. I could save you the trouble of seaching since no such evidence exists, but I thinnk it would be healthy for you to do the search yourself and come to that conclusion.

The RCC was not around at this point. If it was, in your opinion, are you saying that Paul was Roman Catholic? Paul was Catholic. Everything he wrote, everything in the New Testament, affirms the traditions and teachings of the Catholic Church.

View Quote

"Wherever the bishop appears, let the congregation be there also.  Just
as, wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church. It is
manifest, therefore, that we should look upon the bishop even as we
would look upon the Lord Himself, standing, as he does, before the Lord.
As therefore the Lord did nothing without the Father, being united to
Him, neither by Himself nor by the apostles, so neither do ye anything
without the bishop and presbyters. Be ye subject to the bishop as to the
Lord, for 'he watches for your souls, as one that shall give account to
God.' In like manner, let all reverence the deacons as an appointment
of Jesus Christ, and the bishop as Jesus Christ, who is the Son of the
Father, and the presbyters as the Sanhedrin of God, and assembly of the
apostles. Apart from these, there is no Church. See that ye all follow
the bishop, even as Jesus Christ does the Father, and the presbytery as
ye would the apostles; and reverence the deacons, as being the
institution of God. He who honors the bishop has been honored by God; he
who does anything without the knowledge of the bishop, does [in
reality] serve the devil. Give ye heed to the bishop, that God also may
give heed to you. Be ye subject to the bishop, to the presbyters, and to
the deacons.”  St. Ignatius of  Antioch, "Epistle to the Smyrnaeans," c. 105 A.D.

"The
church of God that sojourns at Smyrna, to the church of God sojourning
in Philomelium - and to all of the congregations of the holy and
Catholic Church in every place."  St. Polycarp, "The Martyrdom of St. Polycarp," c. 135 A.D.

"Our
Lord Jesus Christ is the Savior of our souls, the Governor of our
bodies, and the Shepherd of the Catholic Church throughout the world."  St. Polycarp, "The Martyrdom Of St. Polycarp," c. 135 A.D.

"The house of God is one, and there can be no salvation to anyone except in the church." St. Cyprian of Carthage, "Letter 61," c. 250 A.D.

"There is no salvation outside of the church."  St. Cyprian of Carthage, "Letter 72," c. 250 A.D.

"The Catholic church is one."  St. Victorinus, "Against Arius," c. 280 A.D.

"It
is called Catholic then because it extends over all the world, from one
end of the Earth to the other; and because it teaches universally and
completely one end and all the doctrines which ought to come to men's
knowledge, concerning things both visible and invisible, heavenly and
earthly; and because it brings into subjection to godliness and the
whole race of mankind, governors and governed, learned and unlearned;
and because it universally treats and heals the whole class of sins,
which are committed by soul and body, and possesses in itself every form
of virtue which is named, both in deeds and words, and in every kind of
spiritual gifts."  St. Cyril of Jerusalem, "Catechetical Lectures," c. 350 A.D.

"Let
us note that the very tradition, teaching, and faith of the Catholic
Church from the beginning, which the Lord gave, was preached by the
Apostles, and was preserved by the Fathers.  On this was the Church founded; and if anyone departs from this, he neither is nor any longer ought to be called a Christian."  St. Athanasius, "Four Letters to Serapion of Thmuisc," c. 360 A.D.

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I said denominations for lack of a better term.  I'm not saying they were Methodist, Presbyterians, baptist etc.  you know that.  What does Ecumenical mean?  There were multiple ecumenical councils.  Why use that term if they were not in fact ecumenical?  They were catholic.  I said that.  Read the definition man...  The Roman Catholic Church was not the precursor, it formed from the ecumenical catholic Church. yes there is a line all the way back to Jesus.  No one says otherwise.  But to say Paul was Catholic? I am assuming you don't use the term Roman Catholic, because he wasn't, but capitalize Catholic to try to infer he was...I'd say that by his teachings he would be considered in anathema by the RCC of today.  I may be mistaken but did he believe and teach indulgences? Immaculate conception? Assumpion of Mary? Purgatory? Surely if anyone would teach these things it would be Paul.  Or maybe Peter? Where did he write of these things?

All of your quotes are well and good until you recognize that church refers to all Christians and catholic means all encompassing.  Then they still are fine, but don't lead the direction you are intending to pigeon hole them into.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Forget it, Twire. They can't be reasoned with.

They don't need a Pope because they have given the title to themselves, each of them individually.

If they don't like what their fellow Bible Christian says, they just run off and start their own Bible Church.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat...
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#6]
you, and I enter these discussions with presuppositions.  In order to have a worthwhile discussion, you, and I, must understand this.  There are terms, like catholic vs Catholic etc, that mean different things.  Grace means something different to you than to me.  Until we can agree on the differences in definition, or at least that there is one, these threads turn into sarcastic im better than you pile ons.  I will not get into that.  I actually enjoy good thought out discussion with people of different faith when they can be addressed point by point in a non mocking manner.  If I have digressed into that I apologize.

No one that I know has given the title Pope to themselves.  The reason I have no need for a pope is because Jesus is my high priest.  I deal directly with Him.  My church does have earthly leadership and accountability, and a ways to handle disputes and differences.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I said denominations for lack of a better term.  I'm not saying they were Methodist, Presbyterians, baptist etc.  you know that.  What does Ecumenical mean?  There were multiple ecumenical councils.  Why use that term if they were not in fact ecumenical?  They were catholic.  I said that.  Read the definition man...  The Roman Catholic Church was not the precursor, it formed from the ecumenical catholic Church. yes there is a line all the way back to Jesus.  No one says otherwise.  But to say Paul was Catholic? I am assuming you don't use the term Roman Catholic, because he wasn't, but capitalize Catholic to try to infer he was...I'd say that by his teachings he would be considered in anathema by the RCC of today.  I may be mistaken but did he believe and teach indulgences? Immaculate conception? Assumpion of Mary? Purgatory? Surely if anyone would teach these things it would be Paul.  Or maybe Peter? Where did he write of these things?

All of your quotes are well and good until you recognize that church refers to all Christians and catholic means all encompassing.  Then they still are fine, but don't lead the direction you are intending to pigeon hole them into.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think you missed one of the main points of the quotes. You can capitalize or not capitalize the word Catholic. Doesn't matter. What do the quotes describe? A church that offers the same worship, the same beliefs, the same traditions, the same scripture to all. So what church did that back then? What church does that now?

Yes, Paul's epistles are heretical to Catholics. That's why they are read avery Sunday at mass! Ridiculous. And then to follow up with every anti-Catholic canard on the internet--all of course based on the false and clearly non-scriptural doctrine of sola scriptura! That's hilarious.

Quoted:

No, and Sola types acknowledge tradition also.  Lots of stuff we do is tradition.

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm honestly trying to follow you here..when I brought up those things I wasn't saying it to be anti catholic.  How could I? The RCC teaches them.  That isn't anti catholic.  Are you saying they were taught since the time of Christ? Ok, show me where the apostles taught that.  Or I will even step outside my Sola Scriptura mind and ask you to show me where AS a CHURCH they were taught in the first century.  Not just that one person said it.  Because you define ecumenical in a way that would say everyone believed these things.  Second century?

I really don't believe you understand what Sola Scriptura means.  Everything we need to know for our salvation is found in the Bible.  We do have traditions.  Liturgy for instance.  No one says that we do not have traditions.  We claim that traditions of men do not get us to Heaven.  But we do have them.

I am open to dialogue but you seem to just want to throw sarcasm and try to belittle people.  Not being Catholic, I still assume that a devout follower of the RCC would want others to find their views to be just and correct and for them to convert to Roman Catholisism. The attitude you take does not imply that, and in many cases seems to be an elitist know it all attitude that turns people off to your religion and causes them to disregard what you say.  That is not an insult.  Don't take it that way.  I have said the same to fellow Protestants in other threads.  I myself get caught up in these debates and lose my temper at times.  Hopefully I haven't done that here.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Why follow Luther or Constantine? Come out of the world and follow Yeshua, with the help and guidance of the Ruach Hakodesh.
The building of a fence around our Father's everlasting TORAH, and substituting in of men's traditions by the Sadducees and Pharisees is a perfect picture of Protestant's and Catholic's bickering about their own traditions of men.

Wash the inside of your cup.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm honestly trying to follow you here..when I brought up those things I wasn't saying it to be anti catholic.  How could I? The RCC teaches them.  That isn't anti catholic.  Are you saying they were taught since the time of Christ? Ok, show me where the apostles taught that.  Or I will even step outside my Sola Scriptura mind and ask you to show me where AS a CHURCH they were taught in the first century.  Not just that one person said it.  Because you define ecumenical in a way that would say everyone believed these things.  Second century?

I really don't believe you understand what Sola Scriptura means.  Everything we need to know for our salvation is found in the Bible.  We do have traditions.  Liturgy for instance.  No one says that we do not have traditions.  We claim that traditions of men do not get us to Heaven.  But we do have them.

I am open to dialogue but you seem to just want to throw sarcasm and try to belittle people.  Not being Catholic, I still assume that a devout follower of the RCC would want others to find their views to be just and correct and for them to convert to Roman Catholisism. The attitude you take does not imply that, and in many cases seems to be an elitist know it all attitude that turns people off to your religion and causes them to disregard what you say.  That is not an insult.  Don't take it that way.  I have said the same to fellow Protestants in other threads.  I myself get caught up in these debates and lose my temper at times.  Hopefully I haven't done that here.
View Quote

Funny thing is there is no "RCC", officially. It's the Latin Rite of the Catholic Church that is commonly known as Roman Catholic, but other rites exist within the larger Catholic Church. There was no need to refer to the Church as "Roman Catholic", when "the Church" or the "Catholic Church" was enough as there was a singular Christian church at the time. (Sorry, kind of jumped across a couple of replies with that statement).

As far as what the Apostles taught...simply look at the Catholic Church (or Orthodoxy, the two are very close in theology). You can't simply look at the Bible, there are passages in the Bible itself that state everything was not written down. That is where Sacred Tradition helps fill in the gaps, so to speak.  Look at the writing of the Church Fathers; these will be viewed as commentary on the teachings of Christ. Obviously there will be issues that the early Church do not address, but the lines of thinking were set and can be used as a foundation upon which to build a discourse regarding whatever the latest issue might be.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Funny thing is there is no "RCC", officially. It's the Latin Rite of the Catholic Church that is commonly known as Roman Catholic, but other rites exist within the larger Catholic Church. There was no need to refer to the Church as "Roman Catholic", when "the Church" or the "Catholic Church" was enough as there was a singular Christian church at the time. (Sorry, kind of jumped across a couple of replies with that statement).

As far as what the Apostles taught...simply look at the Catholic Church (or Orthodoxy, the two are very close in theology). You can't simply look at the Bible, there are passages in the Bible itself that state everything was not written down. That is where Sacred Tradition helps fill in the gaps, so to speak.  Look at the writing of the Church Fathers; these will be viewed as commentary on the teachings of Christ. Obviously there will be issues that the early Church do not address, but the lines of thinking were set and can be used as a foundation upon which to build a discourse regarding whatever the latest issue might be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My friend, I would welcome a discussion with you.  Thank you for your reply.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So with these 'books'(see list below) in circulation in the post apostolic period, Christians simply 'knew' which were canonical and which were not? Nope, some overriding authority filtered thru them and decided. It wasn't any protestant branch since they did not exist prior to the reformation. There was only one Church.

View Quote

Overriding Authority? Yes its called the Holy Spirit. Seems you treat the things of God with contempt just like Gods Word. The Bible.

2 Tim
15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, , and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

But its obvious you know nothing about the Holy Spirit.
So you have read all these books? How more are needed? Was the Gospel of Judas actually written by Judas Iscariot?
Some of those books listed were written by the Gnostics.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Forget it, Twire. They can't be reasoned with.

They don't need a Pope because they have given the title to themselves, each of them individually.

If they don't like what their fellow Bible Christian says, they just run off and start their own Bible Church.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat...
View Quote

Maybe I'll ask you since Twire didn't answer this. Was Pauls letter to the Romans written to what is now called the Roman Catholic Church?
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:32:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The short version of this paragraph should read, "Don't post any references because none will pass my scrutiny." Quotes from the Church fathers are important because....they are Church fathers! Their writings represent the orthodoxy of post apostolic teaching.

I really don't believe you understand what Sola Scriptura means.  Everything we need to know for our salvation is found in the Bible.  We do have traditions.  Liturgy for instance.  No one says that we do not have traditions.  We claim that traditions of men do not get us to Heaven.  But we do have them. Which of the 'non-scriptural traditions' (LOL) that you listed are required of me to attain salvation? Hint: Answer is between 1 and -1.

I am open to dialogue but you seem to just want to throw sarcasm and try to belittle people.  Not being Catholic, I still assume that a devout follower of the RCC would want others to find their views to be just and correct and for them to convert to Roman Catholicism. The attitude you take does not imply that, and in many cases seems to be an elitist know it all attitude that turns people off to your religion and causes them to disregard what you say.  That is not an insult.  Don't take it that way.  I have said the same to fellow Protestants in other threads.  I myself get caught up in these debates and lose my temper at times.  Hopefully I haven't done that here.

The difficulty with internet posts is that aside from the horror of Emoticons and Imoges, there is no way to gauge the mindset of the writer. I do not sit at a computer terminal fuming at Protestants.  I am equally confident that an earnest search for truth leads men to Jesus Christ and that the fullest manifestation of that relationship exists in the Catholic Church.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 1:11:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Overriding Authority? Yes its called the Holy Spirit. Actually, Jesus Christ gave the apostles (men) the power to loose and bind (Matthew 16:19 and 18:18) . A human being or group of human beings, with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, determined which books were included in the Canon of Scripture. Those individuals were part of the Catholic Church and answered to the see of Rome.Seems you treat the things of God with contempt just like Gods Word. The Bible. Appreciate the judgement but do you have evidence of this 'contempt' for the Bible? Matthew 7:1 and all.

2 Tim

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, , and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. Interestingly only two verses before this Paul tells Timothy to remember all that he taught him, and two chapters previous told him to fast to oral tradition. He then states that Scripture is profitable (in this sense meaning useful). Paul is not referencing his own letter here. So even Paul places the teaching at least on parallel with Scripture.

But its obvious you know nothing about the Holy Spirit. Matthew 7:1 again

So you have read all these books? How more are needed? Was the Gospel of Judas actually written by Judas Iscariot?This makes no sense, please clarify and once I figure out what you are talking about, I deliver a crushing reply. This is a list of many of the non Canonical writings in circulation in the post apostolic period. How would any believer really know which were inspired and which were not?

Some of those books listed were written by the Gnostics. And...?

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overriding Authority? Yes its called the Holy Spirit. Actually, Jesus Christ gave the apostles (men) the power to loose and bind (Matthew 16:19 and 18:18) . A human being or group of human beings, with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, determined which books were included in the Canon of Scripture. Those individuals were part of the Catholic Church and answered to the see of Rome.Seems you treat the things of God with contempt just like Gods Word. The Bible. Appreciate the judgement but do you have evidence of this 'contempt' for the Bible? Matthew 7:1 and all.

2 Tim
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, , and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. Interestingly only two verses before this Paul tells Timothy to remember all that he taught him, and two chapters previous told him to fast to oral tradition. He then states that Scripture is profitable (in this sense meaning useful). Paul is not referencing his own letter here. So even Paul places the teaching at least on parallel with Scripture.

But its obvious you know nothing about the Holy Spirit. Matthew 7:1 again
So you have read all these books? How more are needed? Was the Gospel of Judas actually written by Judas Iscariot?This makes no sense, please clarify and once I figure out what you are talking about, I deliver a crushing reply. This is a list of many of the non Canonical writings in circulation in the post apostolic period. How would any believer really know which were inspired and which were not?
Some of those books listed were written by the Gnostics. And...?

2 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.

2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
1Cor2:1-2

Paul taught only one thing and was consistent in all his writings and that was He Preached and Teached Jesus Christ crucified. Which means Salvation for the sinner, And sanctification for the Saint/Believer. (Getting the sin out of your life!) And that can only be done by the Blood that Jesus Christ shed on the Cross at Calvary.
Which I am sure are the traditions He handed down to Timothy.
Matter of Fact! The whole Bible is about the Cross of Calvary and the Story started in the garden.

And Paul and others who wrote the Epistles vehemetly spoke out against so called Christians bringing in Old testament law and other church rules, ceremonies, traditions, destructive heresies no matter how good they sounded.
The Roman Catholic church probably grew out of one of these groups.
Your not the original church, Just the oldest of the False.

Simple question? Who wrote the book of Judas? Whats hard to understand? In the meantime I will try to figure out why you listed all these books in the first place. You badmouth "sola scripture" so are these books where you get your theology from?
I cant wait for your crushing reply.

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not going to critique the catholic churches practices any further in this thread. I don't agree with what they do because from what I've seen and read they are engaged in practices that are in direct contradiction to what is written in the Holy Bible. However, they are not the only church disobeying the word.

No church or body of men hold power or authority over the power of God. You don't need to go through any mortal man or church to be forgiven.

Only Christ.

John 10:27-28
"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they shall never perish; and no one shall snatch them out of My hand."

John 14:15-17
“If you love me, you will obey my commandments.  I will ask the Father, and he will give you another helper who will be with you forever. That helper is the Spirit of Truth. The world cannot accept him, because it doesn’t see or know him. You know him, because he lives with you and will be in you.

Do you know how many verses talk about being born again and the Holy Spirit dwelling in the hearts of believers?

Link with cross reference verses on the right side of the page

I am a born again follower of Christ and the Holy Spirit lives within me. I have experienced and witnessed miracles, have had prayers answered instantly and in time, and experienced the power of the Holy Spirit. I am thankful to the Lord for all He has done for me in this life.

I hope all of you know Him.

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 10:36:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

2 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.

2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

Paul taught only one thing and was consistent in all his writings and that was He Preached and Teached Jesus Christ crucified. Which means Salvation for the sinner, And sanctification for the Saint/Believer. (Getting the sin out of your life!) And that can only be done by the Blood that Jesus Christ shed on the Cross at Calvary.

Matter of Fact! The whole Bible is about the Cross of Calvary and the Story started in the garden.

And Paul and others who wrote the Epistles vehemetly spoke out against so called Christians bringing in Old testament law and other church rules, ceremonies, traditions, destructive heresies no matter how good they sounded. Except that he says in 2 Tim 3:16 that scripture (old testament) is useful.Typical fundamentalist cherry picking.

The Roman Catholic church probably grew out of one of these groups. LOL, ignorance is bliss!

Your not the original church, Just the oldest of the False. Is Christ divided? (1 Cor 1:13). There is one Church existent since the Apostles, unified in mind and heart under the guidance of the Holy Spirit and celebrating an identical liturgy every single day throughout the world, even today. Care to guess which that is?

Simple question? Who wrote the book of Judas? I have no idea, its irrelevant to the post or the subject matter. Whats hard to understand? In the meantime I will try to figure out why you listed all these books in the first place. To show that more than the canon of scripture was extant and in circulation it eh post Apostolic period and that individual inspiration was not the mechanism of canonical determination. You badmouth "sola scripture" so are these books where you get your theology from? You have completely missed the point of this series of posts. Please try to keep up.

I cant wait for your crushing reply. The only thing greater than your ignorance of Christian history and Catholic theology is your willingness to display it in a public forum.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'm not going to critique the catholic churches practices any further in this thread. I don't agree with what they do because from what I've seen and read they are engaged in practices that are in direct contradiction to what is written in the Holy Bible. Then you do not understand what the Catholic Church practices or teaches. If you truly don't know why impugn a fellow Christian? It is spiteful. However, they are not the only church disobeying the word.

No church or body of men hold power or authority over the power of God. The Catholic Church does not teach that. You don't need to go through any mortal man or church to be forgiven. The Catholic Church does not teach that.

Only Christ.

John 10:27-28

"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they shall never perish; and no one shall snatch them out of My hand."

John 14:15-17

"If you love me, you will obey my commandments.  I will ask the Father, and he will give you another helper who will be with you forever. That helper is the Spirit of Truth. The world cannot accept him, because it doesn’t see or know him. You know him, because he lives with you and will be in you.

Do you know how many verses talk about being born again and the Holy Spirit dwelling in the hearts of believers?

Link with cross reference verses on the right side of the page

I am a born again follower of Christ and the Holy Spirit lives within me. I have experienced and witnessed miracles, have had prayers answered instantly and in time, and experienced the power of the Holy Spirit. I am thankful to the Lord for all He has done for me in this life.

I hope all of you know Him.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 10:52:56 PM EDT
[#20]
"If I were not a Catholic, and
       were looking for the true Church in the world today, I would look for
       the one Church which did not get along well with the world; in other
       words, I would look for the Church which the world hated. My reason for
       doing this would be, that if Christ is in any one of the churches of the
       world today, He must still be hated as He was when He was on earth in
       the flesh. If you would find Christ today, then find the Church that
       does not get along with the world. Look for the Church that is hated by
       the world as Christ was hated by the world. Look for the Church that is
       accused of being behind the times, as our Lord was accused of being
       ignorant and never having learned. Look for the Church which men sneer
       at as socially inferior, as they sneered at Our Lord because He came
       from Nazareth. Look for the Church which is accused of having a devil,
       as Our Lord was accused of being possessed by Beelzebub, the Prince of
       Devils. Look for the Church which, in seasons of bigotry, men say must
       be destroyed in the name of God as men crucified Christ and thought they
       had done a service to God. Look for the Church which the world rejects
       because it claims it is infallible, as Pilate rejected Christ because He
       called Himself the Truth. Look for the Church which is rejected by the
       world as Our Lord was rejected by men. Look for the Church which amid
       the confusions of conflicting opinions, its members love as they love
       Christ, and respect its Voice as the very voice of its Founder, and the
       suspicion will grow, that if the Church is unpopular with the spirit of
       the world, then it is unworldly, and if it is unworldly it is other
       worldly. since it is other-worldly, it is infinitely loved and
       infinitely hated as was Christ Himself. But only that which is Divine
       can be infinitely hated and infinitely loved. Therefore the Church is
       Divine."

Archbishop Fulton Sheen

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And Paul and others who wrote the Epistles vehemetly spoke out against so called Christians bringing in Old testament law and other church rules, ceremonies, traditions, destructive heresies no matter how good they sounded. Except that he says in 2 Tim 3:16 that scripture (old testament) is useful.Typical fundamentalist cherry picking.
The Roman Catholic church probably grew out of one of these groups. LOL, ignorance is bliss!
Your not the original church, Just the oldest of the False. Is Christ divided? (1 Cor 1:13). There is one Church existent since the Apostles, unified in mind and heart under the guidance of the Holy Spirit and celebrating an identical liturgy every single day throughout the world, even today. Care to guess which that is?

Simple question? Who wrote the book of Judas? I have no idea, its irrelevant to the post or the subject matter. Whats hard to understand? In the meantime I will try to figure out why you listed all these books in the first place. To show that more than the canon of scripture was extant and in circulation it eh post Apostolic period and that individual inspiration was not the mechanism of canonical determination. You badmouth "sola scripture" so are these books where you get your theology from? You have completely missed the point of this series of posts. Please try to keep up.
I cant wait for your crushing reply. The only thing greater than your ignorance of Christian history and Catholic theology is your willingness to display it in a public forum.

Who really cherrypicks scripture? The sola scripture people who only use the Bible as their authority? or those who have other writtings as there authority then pick a few verses to supposedly support there argument?
If you want to know what the Church was like then look at the Book of Acts and what happened on the day of Pentecost.
The Disciples were baptised in the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in other tongues. Peter which denied the Lord a short time earlier now stood up and preached Jesus Christ Crucified to the very people that crucified Jesus. Peter held a evangelistic crusade on the streets of downtown Jerusalem. They went on to perform miracles of healing and other signs that could only be of God and operated in the gifts of the Holy Spirit.
Peter was a Born again tongue talking Pentacostal evangelist.
And thats what the early church was, what some refer to as pentecostal. and that is not limited today to a denomination.
And when you read Peters 2 letters, He sure does not sound like a Roman Catholic of today,

Paul in his first letter to the Corinthians laid out the proper way to use the Spiritual Gifts, tongues, interpretations prophecy, the Lords supper when beleivers gathered together. (worship service) It sure is not what the catholics call Mass.
And in Pauls letter to the Romans laid out the Theology of the Church for salvation and sanctification. As the original Church members walked away from their sinfull lifestyles.

And what would I know about the Catholic church? I grew up in it. went to a catholic grade school with nuns teaching. A lot of catechism, religious talk and printed material from the church but never a Bible, never ever!

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
"If I were not a Catholic, and        were looking for the true Church in the world today, I would look for        the one Church which did not get along well with the world; in other        words, I would look for the Church which the world hated. My reason for        doing this would be, that if Christ is in any one of the churches of the        world today, He must still be hated as He was when He was on earth in        the flesh. If you would find Christ today, then find the Church that        does not get along with the world. Look for the Church that is hated by        the world as Christ was hated by the world. Look for the Church that is        accused of being behind the times, as our Lord was accused of being        ignorant and never having learned. Look for the Church which men sneer        at as socially inferior, as they sneered at Our Lord because He came        from Nazareth. Look for the Church which is accused of having a devil,        as Our Lord was accused of being possessed by Beelzebub, the Prince of        Devils. Look for the Church which, in seasons of bigotry, men say must        be destroyed in the name of God as men crucified Christ and thought they        had done a service to God. Look for the Church which the world rejects        because it claims it is infallible, as Pilate rejected Christ because He        called Himself the Truth. Look for the Church which is rejected by the        world as Our Lord was rejected by men. Look for the Church which amid        the confusions of conflicting opinions, its members love as they love        Christ, and respect its Voice as the very voice of its Founder, and the        suspicion will grow, that if the Church is unpopular with the spirit of        the world, then it is unworldly, and if it is unworldly it is other        worldly. since it is other-worldly, it is infinitely loved and        infinitely hated as was Christ Himself. But only that which is Divine        can be infinitely hated and infinitely loved. Therefore the Church is        Divine."

Archbishop Fulton Sheen

View Quote

I knew sooner or later you would post a quote from this guy and his victim mentality.

I grew up in the catholic church. My mother would always tell me to stop drinking and smoking, and she sure didnt like my Harleys and the sinfull life that I was living.
When one day my sin caught up with me in 1996 and I asked God for help the Lord came thru.
After getting saved the Lord changed my heart and no longer did I have a desire to live the way I was, I sold my 2 harleys, left that sinfull lifestyle of bars, sexual immorality, drunkeness.
The Lord took away any desire I had to drink alcohol and cure my nicotine addiction.

Now do you think that my Mother a staunch catholic would thank the Lord and praise Him for the change Jesus made in my life? That she always told me I should do?
No! When she learned I left the catholic church for an Assembly of God she told me I joined a cult!
Heard a lot off other obnoxious and Godless comments from the original church crowd.
maybe there just feeling guilty about there own sin that they are still stuck in.

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I knew sooner or later you would post a quote from this guy and his victim mentality.

I grew up in the catholic church. My mother would always tell me to stop drinking and smoking, and she sure didnt like my Harleys and the sinfull life that I was living.
When one day my sin caught up with me in 1996 and I asked God for help the Lord came thru.
After getting saved the Lord changed my heart and no longer did I have a desire to live the way I was, I sold my 2 harleys, left that sinfull lifestyle of bars, sexual immorality, drunkeness.
The Lord took away any desire I had to drink alcohol and cure my nicotine addiction.

Now do you think that my Mother a staunch catholic would thank the Lord and praise Him for the change Jesus made in my life? That she always told me I should do?
No! When she learned I left the catholic church for an Assembly of God she told me I joined a cult!
Heard a lot off other obnoxious and Godless comments from the original church crowd.
maybe there just feeling guilty about there own sin that they are still stuck in.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"If I were not a Catholic, and        were looking for the true Church in the world today, I would look for        the one Church which did not get along well with the world; in other        words, I would look for the Church which the world hated. My reason for        doing this would be, that if Christ is in any one of the churches of the        world today, He must still be hated as He was when He was on earth in        the flesh. If you would find Christ today, then find the Church that        does not get along with the world. Look for the Church that is hated by        the world as Christ was hated by the world. Look for the Church that is        accused of being behind the times, as our Lord was accused of being        ignorant and never having learned. Look for the Church which men sneer        at as socially inferior, as they sneered at Our Lord because He came        from Nazareth. Look for the Church which is accused of having a devil,        as Our Lord was accused of being possessed by Beelzebub, the Prince of        Devils. Look for the Church which, in seasons of bigotry, men say must        be destroyed in the name of God as men crucified Christ and thought they        had done a service to God. Look for the Church which the world rejects        because it claims it is infallible, as Pilate rejected Christ because He        called Himself the Truth. Look for the Church which is rejected by the        world as Our Lord was rejected by men. Look for the Church which amid        the confusions of conflicting opinions, its members love as they love        Christ, and respect its Voice as the very voice of its Founder, and the        suspicion will grow, that if the Church is unpopular with the spirit of        the world, then it is unworldly, and if it is unworldly it is other        worldly. since it is other-worldly, it is infinitely loved and        infinitely hated as was Christ Himself. But only that which is Divine        can be infinitely hated and infinitely loved. Therefore the Church is        Divine."

Archbishop Fulton Sheen

I understand the quitting smoking and drinking...and maybe selling ONE Harley...but did you have to sell both?
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:03:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Archbishop Fulton Sheen

View Quote

I could make a good case that he should consider the LDS using that criteria.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I understand the quitting smoking and drinking...and maybe selling ONE Harley...but did you have to sell both?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Archbishop Fulton Sheen

I'm not implying that owning a Harley is sin, it is not. neither is Gun ownership. I was born again into a new life with Christ. I looked at them one day and the chrome did not shine like it used to so I sold them.
There was a scripture that when I read it described how I felt. Cant find it at the moment. But Jesus said "The Kingdom of Heaven is like a man who found a great treasure in a field. Then he went and sold everything he had and bought that field." Now you have me wanting to get out my Bible and find it.

Smoking and drinking alcohol are a bondage. they are unGodly, unhealthy habits that control part of your life. Costing you money and in the case of alcohol. It may cause you do do things you would not when sober.
And more then likely that thing alcohol makes you do is sin.

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I agree with you.  I sold a bike right before I got married 17 years ago and still miss it sometimes.  I wasn't implying it was a sin, just joking with you.

Matthew 13:44
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I agree with you.  I sold a bike right before I got married 17 years ago and still miss it sometimes.  I wasn't implying it was a sin, just joking with you.

Matthew 13:44
View Quote

Yep! That was the Scripture, and thats how I felt.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 11:00:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Who really cherrypicks scripture? The sola scripture people who only use various parts of the Bible as their authority? or those who have other writtings as there authority then pick a few verses to supposedly support there argument?

If you want to know what the Church was like then look at the Book of Acts and what happened on the day of Pentecost.

The Disciples were baptised in the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in other tongues. Peter which denied the Lord a short time earlier now stood up and preached Jesus Christ Crucified to the very people that crucified Jesus. Peter held a evangelistic crusade on the streets of downtown Jerusalem. They went on to perform miracles of healing and other signs that could only be of God and operated in the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Peter was a Born again tongue talking Pentacostal evangelist. Except that he was there at the last supper, understood reality of bodily sacrifice and went on to worship and celebrate the Eucharist.

And thats what the early church was, what some refer to as pentecostal. and that is not limited today to a denomination.

And when you read Peters 2 letters, He sure does not sound like a Roman Catholic of today, LOL, there is not a singe UN-Catholic thought in either of Peter's epistles. They are often referred to as 'encyclical' in their pastoral tone.

Paul in his first letter to the Corinthians laid out the proper way to use the Spiritual Gifts, tongues, interpretations prophecy, the Lords supper when beleivers gathered together. (worship service) It sure is not what the catholics call Mass.

And in Pauls letter to the Romans laid out the Theology of the Church for salvation and sanctification. As the original Church members walked away from their sinfull lifestyles.

And what would I know about the Catholic church? I grew up in it. went to a catholic grade school with nuns teaching. A lot of catechism, religious talk and printed material from the church but never a Bible, never ever! I'm sorry you didn't pay better attention or go to a better school or undertake study on your own. The grass is always greener on the other side, especially when you can conjure up any old meaning in the scripture and decide how to apply it. How freeing to be completely unconstrained by history or tradition that isn't to your liking. You are your own pope and magisterium combined. I stand by my last post, you are ignorant of the Catholic Church. You did not 'grow up in it' your faith or lack thereof never got beyond the level you had in grade school. Sounds like you never got over Sister Mary Discipline whacking you on the hand with a ruler.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 11:03:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
That explains a lot. Rebellious children generally remain rebellious.

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 11:05:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
Especially on this board!

But really his point is pretty valid. Secularists hate the Catholics, Protestants barely tolerate the Catholics, fundamentalists damn us to hell. Sheen was on the money in that off the cuff radio reply.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who really cherrypicks scripture? The sola scripture people who only use various parts of the Bible as their authority? or those who have other writtings as there authority then pick a few verses to supposedly support there argument?
Peter was a Born again tongue talking Pentacostal evangelist. Except that he was there at the last supper, understood reality of bodily sacrifice and went on to worship and celebrate the Eucharist.
And when you read Peters 2 letters, He sure does not sound like a Roman Catholic of today, LOL, there is not a singe UN-Catholic thought in either of Peter's epistles. They are often referred to as 'encyclical' in their pastoral tone.

And what would I know about the Catholic church? I grew up in it. went to a catholic grade school with nuns teaching. A lot of catechism, religious talk and printed material from the church but never a Bible, never ever! I'm sorry you didn't pay better attention or go to a better school or undertake study on your own. The grass is always greener on the other side, especially when you can conjure up any old meaning in the scripture and decide how to apply it. How freeing to be completely unconstrained by history or tradition that isn't to your liking. You are your own pope and magisterium combined. I stand by my last post, you are ignorant of the Catholic Church. You did not 'grow up in it' your faith or lack thereof never got beyond the level you had in grade school. Sounds like you never got over Sister Mary Discipline whacking you on the hand with a ruler.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 6:53:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Typical Godless response.
It was the Holy Spirit that delivered me from a sinfull lifestyle.
Oh well. The pharisees blasphemed the Holy Spirit when Jesus cast out demons. Your response does not surprise me and I even heard worse from your church.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

But really his point is pretty valid. Secularists hate the Catholics, Protestants barely tolerate the Catholics, fundamentalists damn us to hell. Sheen was on the money in that off the cuff radio reply.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Real Christians don't hate anyone. We detest sin, including our own when we commit one.

I only bring up the blasphemies of the catholic church because it's what we are supposed to do when we see a brother in Christ stumbling.

2 Timothy 2:23-26
Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will.

Also read Matthew 18:15-18

“Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth” (1 Corinthians 13:6)

Here are some examples.

What does the Bible say about idolatry? Bowing before statues and graven images?

What does the Bible say about who you are to worship? Just who does the pope think he is sitting on a golden throne?

What about the scripture where it says call no man father?

In Matthew 23:1–12, Jesus is denouncing the Jewish scribes and Pharisees for rejecting Him as their Messiah, in particular for their hypocrisy in elevating themselves above others with titles such as “teacher” and “master.” The Jewish teachers affected that title because they supposed that a teacher formed the man, or gave him real life, and they sought, therefore, to be called “father,” as if they were the source of truth rather than God. Christ taught them that the source of all life and truth is God, and they ought not to seek or receive a title which properly belongs to Him.

In the case of the “holy father,” there is no doubt this is unbiblical. No man can take on the title of “holy” anything, because only God is holy. This title gives the pope a status that is never intended for any man on earth. Even the apostle Paul referred to himself as the chief of sinners (1 Timothy 1:15) and cried out, “Who will deliver me from this body of death?” (Romans 7:14). Clearly, Paul made no claim to holiness. Although as Christians we have exchanged our sin for the righteousness of Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21), holiness will not be attained until we are in heaven and have left the last vestiges of our sin natures behind. Until then, the pope has no more holiness than the average Christian and is not entitled to be called “holy father.”

But there is no reason not to call our earthly parents “father” and “mother” because in doing so we are not giving them an elevated title or position that belongs to God. Our earthly parents are worthy of honor, not just on one special day of the year (Father’s Day, Mother’s Day), but we are to honor our parents daily in the spirit of Exodus 20:12, Matthew 15:4, and Ephesians 6:1-3.

Read the rest at this link: Click here

The Bible says that it is good for a man to marry. Yet the catholic church forbids their priests from doing so.

Read an explantation here

I could go on and on with other non-biblical practices and blasphemies of the catholic church.

I encourage you to put your faith and adoration in God and not a corrupt institution.

If you choose to ignore these blasphemies and accept the excuses of the catholic church for their actions, then that is between you and God.

I only encourage you to seek the truth and read your Bible. Your faith should not be put in rules and regulations written by catholics over the years. Actually read the Bible and the words of our Messiah Jesus Christ.

Put your faith in Him, humble yourself before Him, and He will answer. He says He will, and He always keeps His word.

The Bible says God is the giver of wisdom in James 1:5

My hope is that you all do or will know Him, and are led by the Holy Spirit.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Real Christians don't hate anyone. We detest sin, including our own when we commit one.

I only bring up the blasphemies of the catholic church because it's what we are supposed to do when we see a brother in Christ stumbling.

Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will.

“Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth” (1 Corinthians 13:6)

Here are some examples.

What does the Bible say about idolatry? Bowing before statues and graven images?

http://www.lovethetruth.com/jis_images/pope_worship.jpg

http://ivarfjeld.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/pope171.jpg

http://yeshua777.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/skull-worship-in-the-catholic-church.jpg

http://www.hissheep.org/catholic/images/idol_worship.jpg

http://theheavensdeclarehisgloryministries.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/calabria-mafia.jpg

http://www.evangelicaloutreach.org/images/catholic-beliefs-pope-francis.jpg

What does the Bible say about who you are to worship? Just who does the pope think he is sitting on a golden throne?

http://defendingcontending.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/pope-worship.jpg

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/gallery/090508/GAL-09May08-2002/media/PHO-09May08-161655.jpg

http://ivarfjeld.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/prostrate-to-pope.jpg

In Matthew 23:1–12, Jesus is denouncing the Jewish scribes and Pharisees for rejecting Him as their Messiah, in particular for their hypocrisy in elevating themselves above others with titles such as “teacher” and “master.” The Jewish teachers affected that title because they supposed that a teacher formed the man, or gave him real life, and they sought, therefore, to be called “father,” as if they were the source of truth rather than God. Christ taught them that the source of all life and truth is God, and they ought not to seek or receive a title which properly belongs to Him.

In the case of the “holy father,” there is no doubt this is unbiblical. No man can take on the title of “holy” anything, because only God is holy. This title gives the pope a status that is never intended for any man on earth. Even the apostle Paul referred to himself as the chief of sinners (1 Timothy 1:15) and cried out, “Who will deliver me from this body of death?” (Romans 7:14). Clearly, Paul made no claim to holiness. Although as Christians we have exchanged our sin for the righteousness of Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21), holiness will not be attained until we are in heaven and have left the last vestiges of our sin natures behind. Until then, the pope has no more holiness than the average Christian and is not entitled to be called “holy father.”

But there is no reason not to call our earthly parents “father” and “mother” because in doing so we are not giving them an elevated title or position that belongs to God. Our earthly parents are worthy of honor, not just on one special day of the year (Father’s Day, Mother’s Day), but we are to honor our parents daily in the spirit of Exodus 20:12, Matthew 15:4, and Ephesians 6:1-3.

The Bible says that it is good for a man to marry. Yet the catholic church forbids their priests from doing so.

I could go on and on with other non-biblical practices and blasphemies of the catholic church.

I encourage you to put your faith and adoration in God and not a corrupt institution.

If you choose to ignore these blasphemies and accept the excuses of the catholic church for their actions, then that is between you and God.

I only encourage you to seek the truth and read your Bible. Your faith should not be put in rules and regulations written by catholics over the years. Actually read the Bible and the words of our Messiah Jesus Christ.

Put your faith in Him, humble yourself before Him, and He will answer. He says He will, and He always keeps His word.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here are some examples.

http://www.lovethetruth.com/jis_images/pope_worship.jpg

http://ivarfjeld.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/pope171.jpg

http://yeshua777.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/skull-worship-in-the-catholic-church.jpg

http://www.hissheep.org/catholic/images/idol_worship.jpg

http://theheavensdeclarehisgloryministries.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/calabria-mafia.jpg

http://www.evangelicaloutreach.org/images/catholic-beliefs-pope-francis.jpg

http://defendingcontending.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/pope-worship.jpg

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/gallery/090508/GAL-09May08-2002/media/PHO-09May08-161655.jpg

http://ivarfjeld.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/prostrate-to-pope.jpg

You really have no idea what you are talking about. But I'm sure reverend Billy Bob learned  you about them Catholics.

Your little rant is right out of a Jack chick tract.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Typical Godless response. Please explain how this is 'Godless.' Sounds like a simple and failed attempt at insult.

It was the Holy Spirit that delivered me from a sinfull lifestyle. I don't doubt that at all. But the action of the Holy Spirit is not what put you at conflict with the Church or your mother. That was your decision.

Oh well. The pharisees blasphemed the Holy Spirit when Jesus cast out demons. Your response does not surprise me and I even heard worse from your church.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Typical Godless response. Please explain how this is 'Godless.' Sounds like a simple and failed attempt at insult.

It was the Holy Spirit that delivered me from a sinfull lifestyle. I don't doubt that at all. But the action of the Holy Spirit is not what put you at conflict with the Church or your mother. That was your decision.

Its your story, not mine. Please clarify how I am wrong. You rebelled in school, your behaviors separated yourself from the Church that your were raised in and your mother. You never cared to study or understand the faith passed on to you by your parents. You eventually sought forgiveness and change outside of the Church or your family, and did not have the wherewithal to try and reconcile yourself to it. The prodigal son came begging forgiveness and followed the 4th commandment. The story that YOU related did not seem to indicate that you followed that pattern. That's why I concluded that you are still in a state of rebellion.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You really have no idea what you are talking about. But I'm sure reverend Billy Bob learned  you about them Catholics.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Real Christians don't hate anyone. So you claim to be a 'real' Christian.' We detest sin, including our own when we commit one. Like bearing false witness?

I only bring up the blasphemies of the catholic church because it's what we are supposed to do when we see a brother in Christ stumbling. Ill give you points for at least considering Catholics as brothers in Christ.

Also read Matthew 18:15-18 I especially like Matt 18:18

"Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth” (1 Corinthians 13:6)

Here are some examples.

What does the Bible say about idolatry? Bowing before statues and graven images? Sorry, Catholics don't worship statues. If you knelt in the woods to pray, would you be worshiping a tree?

What about the scripture where it says call no man father? Please...you mean you have no father? You mean that when Paul said to call him 'father' that he was encouraging us to sin? What else what Paul worng about then? Can we trust the epistles at all then?

In Matthew 23:1–12, Jesus is denouncing the Jewish scribes and Pharisees for rejecting Him as their Messiah, in particular for their hypocrisy in elevating themselves above others with titles such as "teacher” and "master.” The Jewish teachers affected that title because they supposed that a teacher formed the man, or gave him real life, and they sought, therefore, to be called "father,” as if they were the source of truth rather than God. Christ taught them that the source of all life and truth is God, and they ought not to seek or receive a title which properly belongs to Him.

In the case of the "holy father,” there is no doubt this is unbiblical. No man can take on the title of "holy” anything, because only God is holy. This title gives the pope a status that is never intended for any man on earth. Even the apostle Paul referred to himself as the chief of sinners as does the Pope (1 Timothy 1:15) and cried out, "Who will deliver me from this body of death?” (Romans 7:14). Clearly, Paul made no claim to holiness. Nor does the Pope Although as Christians we have exchanged our sin for the righteousness of Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21), holiness will not be attained until we are in heaven and have left the last vestiges of our sin natures behind. Until then, the pope has no more holiness than the average Christian and is not entitled to be called "holy father.”

But there is no reason not to call our earthly parents "father” and "mother” because in doing so we are not giving them an elevated title or position that belongs to God. Our earthly parents are worthy of honor, not just on one special day of the year (Father’s Day, Mother’s Day), but we are to honor our parents daily in the spirit of Exodus 20:12, Matthew 15:4, and Ephesians 6:1-3.

Read the rest at this link:

The Bible says that it is good for a man to marry. Yet the catholic church forbids their priests from doing so. I think you need to do more reading. Talk about cherry picking. Paul actually said this:

1 Cor 7:6 I say this as a concession, not as a command. 7 I wish that all of you were as I am (celibate). But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that. 8 Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

I could go on and on with other non-biblical practices and blasphemies of the catholic church. False witness. Because you do not care to understand the institution, does not make it corrupt, nor its practices blasphemous.

I only encourage you to seek the truth and read your Bible. One Catholic mass exposes us to more scripture than most Protestants see in a month. Your faith should not be put in rules and regulations written by catholics over the years. Actually read the Bible and the words of our Messiah Jesus Christ.

The Bible says God is the giver of wisdom in James 1:5 Wow! a protestant actually quoting James!

Sheer ignorance.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Its your story, not mine. Please clarify how I am wrong. You rebelled in school, your behaviors separated yourself from the Church that your were raised in and your mother. You never cared to study or understand the faith passed on to you by your parents. You eventually sought forgiveness and change outside of the Church or your family, and did not have the wherewithal to try and reconcile yourself to it. The prodigal son came begging forgiveness and followed the 4th commandment. The story that YOU related did not seem to indicate that you followed that pattern. That's why I concluded that you are still in a state of rebellion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How blind are you? Does satan cast out satan?
Do you have power over the devil and demon spirits? Can you walk out of sin by your own power?
The devil was defeated at the cross of Calvary and by the Power of the Holy Spirit which is and indwelling Gift inside the heart of the beleiver. It gives the power over sin.

You'd think that original church Christians such as Twire would rejoice at someone defeating the devil. But instead they badmouth and belittle you because you left there church.
Ever thought that your Church and its own teachings actually keep you in sin?
And you shall know the Truth and the truth shall make you free. John8:32
If the Son therefore shall make you free, you shall be free indeed! John 8:36

However if you follow false teaching about God, you'll fall into and stay in sins bondage. Just ask Adam and Eve.
If the Roman Catholic church ever was the first church, Its fallen from Grace long ago.
I suggest picking up the Book of Romans and re-read it or read it for the first time.
For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under Grace.   Rom 8:42

Am I going to hell because I left your church?

Sin no longer has dominion over my life! Thank you Jesus for what You did on the Cross!

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Do you have power over the devil and demon spirits? Can you walk out of sin by your own power? Nope, nope and nope. Neither does the RCC teach that.

The devil was defeated at the cross of Calvary and by the Power of the Holy Spirit which is and indwelling Gift inside the heart of the beleiver. It gives the power over sin.

You'd think that original church Christians such as Twire would rejoice at someone defeating the devil. But instead they badmouth and belittle you because you left there church.I said nothing of the sort. I reiterated your story, paraphrasing your own words. You could have refuted any part of that narrative I re-presented but you didn't which I think is very telling.

Ever thought that your Church and its own teachings actually keep you in sin? How

And you shall know the Truth and the truth shall make you free.  John8:32

If the Son therefore shall make you free, you shall be free indeed!  John 8:36

However if you follow false teaching about God, you'll fall into and stay in sins bondage. Just ask Adam and Eve. Name one.

If the Roman Catholic church ever was the first church, Its fallen from Grace long ago. That would be un-biblical, Matthew 16:19 and all.

I suggest picking up the Book of Romans and re-read it or read it for the first time.

For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under Grace.   Rom 8:42 I would love to comment on that but Romans 8:42 does not exist.

Sin no longer has dominion over my life! Thank you Jesus for what You did on the Cross! I'm glad of that.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have power over the devil and demon spirits? Can you walk out of sin by your own power? Nope, nope and nope. Neither does the RCC teach that.

You'd think that original church Christians such as Twire would rejoice at someone defeating the devil. But instead they badmouth and belittle you because you left there church.I said nothing of the sort. I reiterated your story, paraphrasing your own words. You could have refuted any part of that narrative I re-presented but you didn't which I think is very telling.
Ever thought that your Church and its own teachings actually keep you in sin? How
And you shall know the Truth and the truth shall make you free.  John8:32
If the Son therefore shall make you free, you shall be free indeed!  John 8:36

However if you follow false teaching about God, you'll fall into and stay in sins bondage. Just ask Adam and Eve. Name one.
If the Roman Catholic church ever was the first church, Its fallen from Grace long ago. That would be un-biblical, Matthew 16:19 and all.
For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under Grace.   Rom 8:42 I would love to comment on that but Romans 8:42 does not exist.

Sin no longer has dominion over my life! Thank you Jesus for what You did on the Cross! I'm glad of that.

My mistake on the scripture, It is Romans 6:14
So what does the catholic church teach on how to get sin out of your life?

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote
I think you know the answer already. Prayer, sacraments.

Christ’s death is both the Paschal sacrifice that accomplishes the definitive redemption of men, through "the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world,”439 and the sacrifice of the New Covenant,
which restores man to communion with God by reconciling him to God
through the "blood of the covenant, which was poured out for many for
the forgiveness of sins.”440 (1366, 2009)

The cross is the unique sacrifice of Christ, the "one mediator between God and men.”452
But because in his incarnate divine person he has in some way united
himself to every man, "the possibility of being made partners, in a way
known to God, in the paschal mystery” is offered to all men.

"Apart from the cross there is no other ladder by which we may get to heaven."

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Christ’s death is both the Paschal sacrifice that accomplishes the definitive redemption of men, through "the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world,”439 and the sacrifice of the New Covenant, which restores man to communion with God by reconciling him to God through the "blood of the covenant, which was poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.”440 (1366, 2009)
     The cross is the unique sacrifice of Christ, the "one mediator between God and men.”452 But because in his incarnate divine person he has in some way united himself to every man, "the possibility of being made partners, in a way known to God, in the paschal mystery” is offered to all men.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Christ’s death is both the Paschal sacrifice that accomplishes the definitive redemption of men, through "the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world,”439 and the sacrifice of the New Covenant, which restores man to communion with God by reconciling him to God through the "blood of the covenant, which was poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.”440 (1366, 2009)
     The cross is the unique sacrifice of Christ, the "one mediator between God and men.”452 But because in his incarnate divine person he has in some way united himself to every man, "the possibility of being made partners, in a way known to God, in the paschal mystery” is offered to all men.

1Cor 6:9-11
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God

When Paul wrote this he was talking to the church, not pagans. it says "That is what some of you were" So this tells us that people can get of of there sinfull lifestyle. I am not talking about being "sinless" Thats impossible.
I am talking about getting out of sin that defines your life. People are known as murderers, thieves, adulterers, etc.

My answer to them would not be Prayer or Sacraments. I'm sure "those priests" prayed and partook of your Sacraments but it did not do them any good.
2 Reasons, if taking a Sacrament will get them out of sin, Why didnt it? Did they not do it enough? Or is the Sacrament not what you say it is?

The main problem with that is you are telling them to "do something" which is a work of the flesh and thats why they fail.
I did the same thing! And this is when I was not a Catholic. I was saved and had a life changing experience with Jesus Christ. However, I still had an issue with a sin in my life. (don't need to say what it was)
I did not want to do it but found myself giving in to it. Paul talked about struggling with sin. so was I.

I talk to a pastor and they would tell me, You have to try harder, pray more, fast, tithe, get involved in the church, etc. Did all that but still had that thing that would not go away.
What they were telling me was I had to "do something" in order to receive a deliverance. It does not work that way. God does not owe you something because you do whatever. The Holy Spirit will
not work among your work of the Flesh. The Holy Spirit can only work when you exhibit faith in what Jesus did on the Cross. Then the Holy Spirit can work in your life. When I figured that out. That thing in my life left.

You had a good statement. "Apart from the cross there is no other ladder by which we may get to heaven." Not only is the Cross the ONLY way to the Father, it is also only way out of sin.
Not works of the flesh but by the Lords Spirit.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God

When Paul wrote this he was talking to the church, not pagans. it says "That is what some of you were" So this tells us that people can get of of there sinfull lifestyle. I am not talking about being "sinless" Thats impossible.

I am talking about getting out of sin that defines your life. People are known as murderers, thieves, adulterers, etc.

My answer to them would not be Prayer or Sacraments. I'm sure "those priests" prayed and partook of your Sacraments but it did not do them any good.

2 Reasons, if taking a Sacrament will get them out of sin, Why didnt it? Did they not do it enough? Or is the Sacrament not what you say it is?

The main problem with that is you are telling them to "do something" which is a work of the flesh and thats why they fail.

I did the same thing! And this is when I was not a Catholic. I was saved and had a life changing experience with Jesus Christ. However, I still had an issue with a sin in my life. (don't need to say what it was)

I did not want to do it but found myself giving in to it. Paul talked about struggling with sin. so was I.

I talk to a pastor and they would tell me, You have to try harder, pray more, fast, tithe, get involved in the church, etc. Did all that but still had that thing that would not go away.

What they were telling me was I had to "do something" in order to receive a deliverance. It does not work that way. God does not owe you something because you do whatever. The Holy Spirit will

not work among your work of the Flesh. The Holy Spirit can only work when you exhibit faith in what Jesus did on the Cross. Then the Holy Spirit can work in your life. When I figured that out. That thing in my life left.

You had a good statement. "Apart from the cross there is no other ladder by which we may get to heaven." Not only is the Cross the ONLY way to the Father, it is also only way out of sin.

View Quote
Sacraments are not works of the flesh. They are works of God. Performed by God in us. The word sacrament means 'mystery.'

Remember this catechetical gem from the Baltimore edition:

Question:
What is a Sacrament?

Answer: A Sacrament is an outward sign instituted by Christ to give grace.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Sacraments are not works of the flesh. They are works of God. Performed by God in us. The word sacrament means 'mystery.'

Question:
What is a Sacrament?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Question:
What is a Sacrament?

If it is what you say it is, A work of God performed in us. Just receiving the Sacrament would have the evidence of an outward change in the person. But yet there is no change in there life.
But then first you say a Sacrament is a work of God performed in us, But then say is an outward sign instituted by God to give grace. Not following this at all. you say its 2 different things.

How many times do you need to receive it before anyone in sin starts to actually walk away from it? I am just using "those Priests" as an example. Not picking on them. For the non catholic world has its problems and I have seen it in the church I attended. And I already mentioned my own issues.
I am sure they were receiving the Sacrament even before becoming priests. But still stuck in that sin?

Now going to Mass, reading the Bible, fasting, getting involved at church, etc is wonderfull. However people start thinking because they do those things that they are Godly and God owes them something. Thats self rightousness, based on a work of the flesh and God will not accept it.

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

If it is what you say it is, A work of God performed in us. Just receiving the Sacrament would have the evidence of an outward change in the person. But yet there is no change in there life.

But then first you say a Sacrament is a work of God performed in us, But then say is an outward sign instituted by God to give grace. Not following this at all. you say its 2 different things.

How many times do you need to receive it before anyone in sin starts to actually walk away from it? I am just using "those Priests" as an example. Not picking on them. For the non catholic world has its problems and I have seen it in the church I attended. And I already mentioned my own issues. We are all sinners. We fall. We ask forgiveness. We get up again. Sometimes we turn our back on a particular sin and are done with it. Sometimes we slide back into to our old ways. (Proverbs 26:11, 2 Pet 2:22). That's human nature and reality. That, ultimately, is the brokenness of man.

I am sure they were receiving the Sacrament even before becoming priests. But still stuck in that sin?

Now going to Mass, reading the Bible, fasting, getting involved at church, etc is wonderful. However people start thinking because they do those things that they are Godly and God owes them something. That's self righteousness, based on a work of the flesh and God will not accept it. I agree. And every church has its members that completely misconstrue the meaning of scripture, for example a Baptist Sunday school teacher in a class I attended for a while who steadfastly 'taught' that because he was saved, he was incapable of sin. Or in the case of Catholics, those who extend the meaning of certain devotions and practices as if to be salvific. It can drive you crazy if you dwell on the frailty of the human spiritual condition too much.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many times do you need to receive it before anyone in sin starts to actually walk away from it? I am just using "those Priests" as an example. Not picking on them. For the non catholic world has its problems and I have seen it in the church I attended. And I already mentioned my own issues. We are all sinners. We fall. We ask forgiveness. We get up again. Sometimes we turn our back on a particular sin and are done with it. Sometimes we slide back into to our old ways. (Proverbs 26:11, 2 Pet 2:22). That's human nature and reality. That, ultimately, is the brokenness of man.
All men have a sin nature, which is why we need the Divine nature, Being born Again and recieving the indwelling gift of the Holy Spirit. Yes we can and will fail. But to say that you can just turn your back to sin is saying that you can beat the devil on your own. That will not happen.

Now going to Mass, reading the Bible, fasting, getting involved at church, etc is wonderful. However people start thinking because they do those things that they are Godly and God owes them something. That's self righteousness, based on a work of the flesh and God will not accept it. I agree. And every church has its members that completely misconstrue the meaning of scripture, for example a Baptist Sunday school teacher in a class I attended for a while who steadfastly 'taught' that because he was saved, he was incapable of sin. Or in the case of Catholics, those who extend the meaning of certain devotions and practices as if to be salvific. It can drive you crazy if you dwell on the frailty of the human spiritual condition too much. The baptist that told you he was incapable of sinning now is full of it and lying, which is sin.
That is a false teaching going around the non-catholic church.

Putting your faith in what Jesus did at Calvary as the Sacrificial Lamb is the only thing that the Father will accept for Salvation and Sanctification.
Many think that because the Say that Jesus is the Son of God that they are saved. However they really might be putting there faith in the church they attend, the things they do, the church rules they follow etc.
Matthew 7:21
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Doing things does not save or sanctify.

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote
You are correct.

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You are correct.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving, Thank the Lord for all He's done and continuing to do until His return.
And Thank him for the freedom we have to speak freely in this forum.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:37:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Likewise, sir
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#49]
It's not that our Protestant brethren are ignorant, it's just that they know so much about Catholicism that just isn't so...
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#50]
That goes both ways.  And to compound things I'd say there are many Protestants and Catholics who don't know much about what their church believes.  I think there are lots on both sides that are what they are because that's what their parents were etc.  they don't look any further than that.  Parents were Baptist, Catholic etc so they don't question anything and that's what they are.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top