Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2015 5:15:27 AM EDT

(Moses Presenting the Tablets of the Law, Phillipe de Champaigne, 1648)

Twenty-second Sunday in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 125
30 AUG 2015 A.D.

Reading 1 DT 4:1-2, 6-8

Moses said to the people:
“Now, Israel, hear the statutes and decrees
which I am teaching you to observe,
that you may live, and may enter in and take possession of the land
which the LORD, the God of your fathers, is giving you.
In your observance of the commandments of the LORD, your God,
which I enjoin upon you,
you shall not add to what I command you nor subtract from it.
Observe them carefully,
for thus will you give evidence
of your wisdom and intelligence to the nations,
who will hear of all these statutes and say,
‘This great nation is truly a wise and intelligent people.’
For what great nation is there
that has gods so close to it as the LORD, our God, is to us
whenever we call upon him?
Or what great nation has statutes and decrees
that are as just as this whole law
which I am setting before you today?”

(World Day of Prayer 2012, Canberra, Australia)

Responsorial Psalm PS 15:2-3, 3-4, 4-5

R. (1a) One who does justice will live in the presence of the Lord.

Whoever walks blamelessly and does justice;
who thinks the truth in his heart
and slanders not with his tongue.
R. One who does justice will live in the presence of the Lord.

Who harms not his fellow man,
nor takes up a reproach against his neighbor;
by whom the reprobate is despised,
while he honors those who fear the LORD.

Who lends not his money at usury
and accepts no bribe against the innocent.
Whoever does these things
shall never be disturbed.

(Anguish: The Widow, Kathe Kollwitz, 1916)

Second Reading JAS 1:17-18, 21B-22, 27

Dearest brothers and sisters:
All good giving and every perfect gift is from above,
coming down from the Father of lights,
with whom there is no alteration or shadow caused by change.
He willed to give us birth by the word of truth
that we may be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

Humbly welcome the word that has been planted in you
and is able to save your souls.

Be doers of the word and not hearers only, deluding yourselves.

Religion that is pure and undefiled before God and the Father is this:
to care for orphans and widows in their affliction
and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

Alleluia JAS 1:18

R. Alleluia, alleluia.

The Father willed to give us birth by the word of truth
that we may be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

(Pharisees)

Gospel MK 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23

When the Pharisees with some scribes who had come from Jerusalem
gathered around Jesus,
they observed that some of his disciples ate their meals
with unclean, that is, unwashed, hands.
—For the Pharisees and, in fact, all Jews,
do not eat without carefully washing their hands,
keeping the tradition of the elders.
And on coming from the marketplace
they do not eat without purifying themselves.
And there are many other things that they have traditionally observed,
the purification of cups and jugs and kettles and beds. —
So the Pharisees and scribes questioned him,
“Why do your disciples not follow the tradition of the elders
but instead eat a meal with unclean hands?”
He responded,
“Well did Isaiah prophesy about you hypocrites, as it is written:
This people honors me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me;
in vain do they worship me,
teaching as doctrines human precepts.
You disregard God’s commandment but cling to human tradition.”

He summoned the crowd again and said to them,
“Hear me, all of you, and understand.
Nothing that enters one from outside can defile that person;
but the things that come out from within are what defile.

“From within people, from their hearts,
come evil thoughts, unchastity, theft, murder,
adultery, greed, malice, deceit,
licentiousness, envy, blasphemy, arrogance, folly.
All these evils come from within and they defile.”

(Woe to You, Scribes and Pharisees, James Tissot, 1894)

Bible Study--22ns Sunday in Ordinary Time--Cycle B
(St. Charles Borromeo Parish, Picayune, MS)

Gospel Reading

~The cycle of readings return to the Gospel of Mark after a four week detour through John 6. Jesus is now in the town of Gennesaret on the west shore of the Sea of Galilee where he has been conducting a healing ministry (Mark 6:53-56).

~He is approached by some Pharisees (a religious/political party) who are joined by scribes (religious legal experts) from Jerusalem, the religious center of Israel.
Jesus’ entire ministry is marked by conflict with certain Pharisees of his time (Matthew 23 and following, for example). Respected by the people as engaging in religious purity as a form of resistance against the pagan Roman occupiers of Israel, their approach, nonetheless, often tended toward external ritualism, legalism, and self-righteousness (Luke 18:9-14 Matthew 6:1-6). It is for this attitude that Jesus criticizes them in today’s Gospel.

~The issue at hand is that of being ritually “clean” or “unclean”—what should be the basis of our holiness in our worship and everyday conduct? Jesus’ teaching in this area (verses 14-23) is reflects the biblical concept of “the heart” as being the center of the person and source of every decision that results in action (Matthew 5:28).

BIBLE QUESTIONS:

+According to the first and second readings, is God’s Law a good thing or a bad thing? When can the observance of God’s laws turn negative rather than positive? Is the problem with God’s Law—or does it lie somewhere else?

+How will the Church later struggle with this issue of dietary laws, i.e., clean/unclean foods (see Acts 10:9-16; Acts 15; Romans 14:13-23; Galatians 2:11-16; CCC 582)?
Why does Jesus place the source of defilement within the heart of a person rather than, say, the imagination? What things come out of a defiled heart (verses 21-22; Galatians 5:19-21; Romans 1:29-31; 1 Peter 4:3)?

+Where does Jesus place the responsibility for being clean—on the circumstance or on you? What events in your life might illustrate how things that come out of you can make you clean or unclean?

+What are some ways we can purify our hearts?

+How do you cope with distraction at the liturgy (the Mass)? What do you bring to the liturgy so as to draw your heart nearer to God? Can you say that your participation at the liturgy amounts to more than “lip service?” How can you enter more deeply into worship?
(Sunday Scripture Study for Catholics)

"This is an answer to those who consider that evil thoughts are simply injected by the devil and that they do not spring from our own will. He can add strength to our bad thoughts and inflame them, but he cannot originate them." –St. Bede the Venerable (ca. A.D. 725)
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#1]
God Bless op and isn't that an incredible painting by Champaigne
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:24:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Yessir! Champaigne really had it for the brush strokes, color, textures, human features, clothing--the real deal!

As you mentioned, Christianity has produced the world's greatest art treasures imaginable.

Peace and Blessings, Brother, for your perceptions and artistic eye!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yessir! Champaigne really had it for the brush strokes, color, textures, human features, clothing--the real deal!

As you mentioned, Christianity has produced the world's greatest art treasures imaginable.

Peace and Blessings, Brother, for your perceptions and artistic eye!
View Quote
You do find some of the most insightful imagery to connect the readings.

The selection of readings this week are the gift that keeps on giving. I read them about a month ago preparing for the liturgy this weekend, and in the weeks following reread and then listened at 2 masses this weekend.

Each time I got something new from them.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:23:49 AM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

Yes, angelfire. That's the glory and the beauty of God's word!

There's always something new and exciting to be found which draws us closer to Him.

P.S.
I try to get the images for each sunday Mass. Imagery is important.

My Protestant Brothers and Sisters in Christ accuse me of "idolatry" with imagery, but I ask them this:

"Do you ever share a photo or pic of your family on your cell, tablet, or notebook with others?"

"Sure," they always answer, "since we love them and are proud to share and show them to you.

"RIGHT!" I answer. "It's the same with imagery--Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, and all the Saints are alive--why wouldn't I want to share them with you and show to you all the grace and love for God they had in their earthly lives." It's all a matter ot "connections." We get the word "religion" from the Latin root "religare" meaning to bind again. Hence our word for connecting our bodily frame to our muscles--ligaments! Connections. We are literally "re-connecting" with God.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

There's always something new and exciting to be found which draws us closer to Him.

P.S.

My Protestant Brothers and Sisters in Christ accuse me of "idolatry" with imagery, but I ask them this:

"Do you ever share a photo or pic of your family on your cell, tablet, or notebook with others?"

"Sure," they always answer, "since we love them and are proud to share and show them to you.

"RIGHT!" I answer. "It's the same with imagery--Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, and all the Saints are alive--why wouldn't I want to share them with you and show to you all the grace and love for God they had in their earthly lives." It's all a matter ot "connections." We get the word "religion" from the Latin root "religare" meaning to bind again. Hence our word for connecting our bodily frame to our muscles--ligaments! Connections. We are literally "re-connecting" with God.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/Michelangelo's_Pieta_5450_cropncleaned_edit.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

P.S.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/Michelangelo's_Pieta_5450_cropncleaned_edit.jpg
Like the word of God... every time I look at The Pieta I see some other detail Michael Angelo put in it.  That has got to be heavenly inspired.

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Like the word of God... every time I look at The Pieta I see some other detail Michael Angelo put in it. That has got to be heavenly inspired.
View Quote

You've got that right, anglefire! How mere human hands can do that is IMPOSSIBLE!

It's got to be divine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top