Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2015 6:58:10 AM EDT
I ABSOLUTELY do not want to ask this question in the GD forum as many of us know it will go off the deep end fast.  I would like to hear from Christians that have scientific backgrounds (specifically biology and genetics) how they feel about editing DNA.  I ask in regards to the thread started in GD about "easy DNA editing".  I am no scientist by any means (5 years in ICU as RN and 8 years total as an RN and getting ready to apply to NP school).

I can see so many good uses to this technology!  I believe God gave us a brain to use and be able to logically form new technologies to create a better world.  But I also see where people can have fears of the bad from this type of technology.  I personally feel that we are at the fine line so many people talk about in regards to genetic research and development.

Anyone else is also free to chime in with thoughts or questions.  But, again, please keep on topic.  

God bless!
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#1]
My thoughts:
Like anything else in creation it can be used in vain to seek advantage and power in the world of men, or it can be used after the spirit of God's will for his glory.

Given human history and their general disregard for how God would guide them to use their gifts and their distain for his wisdom and unfounded confidence in their own, I foresee many horrors and sorrows eventually accompanying any triumphs.

Most chiefly it is our lack of wisdom and underappreciation of unforeseeable consequences.  Think of our sanitation in hospitals, how many lives it saved and yet as time has gone by how that same environment has bred superdiseases.  

I don't think there's any stopping it in the long run, not by human hands anyway
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 7:32:36 PM EDT
[#2]

A couple thoughts:

We're not here for our purposes; we're here for God's purposes.

It's prideful on the face of it to think we can do better design-wise.

Giving fallen man the power to design DNA will be far worse than giving him the power to split atoms. What he says will be used for good will more likely be used for evil.

That said, such things are pretty much inevitable.

"...just as in the days of Noah".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top