Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2014 12:24:58 PM EDT
I ran across this article today and found it interesting.

https://www.biblegateway.com/blog/2012/07/why-does-god-allow-tragedy-and-suffering/
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#1]
First understanding that this life is truly only a proving ground before moving on to bigger and better things must be known before understanding the answer.  If you're limited in your personal perspective on this life - and treating it like this is it and that there was no life before here and no life after, then no, the answer wont make sense and God probably hasn't crossed your mind or you don't give Him the time of day.

The short ANSWER: God has given us all FREE AGENCY.  We get to choose and he not only respects it, he is bound by it.

The long ANSWER:  With the ability to choose to be good or bad, we also are choosing our consequences, for the good or the bad.  When those choices effect others, it heaps further negative consequence upon us.  After this life when we get judged for those things we've done there will be an honest and perfect judge.  If you were murdered, you will be a witness against the accused.  Justice will prevail and mercy will skip over that killer unless proper repentance is made.  Of course we have no clue how just and perfect that judgment will be because while here on earth, we our held from knowing or seeing because after all, we are required to live by faith and not have  a perfect knowledge of things.  We're here to be tested.  If we are taken by the will of another and robbed of our opportunity to experience this mortal life, then so be it, and it will work itself out for our good.  Nobody's getting robbed after this life.

Like in the Old Testament times where mortal life seems to have little value, so too is it of little value now.  Our physical bodies are testing grounds housing our eternal spirit.  We are less than dirt (dirt obeys God, we don't).  And here we are trying to reinforce our mortality with fame, fortune, "power," etc.... it's a joke.  We can be taken out of here at any time for any reason...either Heaven will call us home for a new purpose, or someone down here will send us packing because of their choice.  In the end, it will be something we look back on fondly as "our mortal experience."  Don't fear death because probably within minutes of being dead, the big picture will play out in your mind and you'll understand everything and all the petty things you hoped to hold on to will not have mattered.  Again, the key is to have the eternal perspective to this life.  If you only concern yourself with you, your small sphere of influence, and your 'things', you will be stressed about dying, question "why did god let this happen???" and your life without purpose will be miserable.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I ran across this article today and found it interesting.

https://www.biblegateway.com/blog/2012/07/why-does-god-allow-tragedy-and-suffering/
View Quote

God allows suffering because God allows free will and suffering can be a consequence of our exercise of free will.

God can use suffering to bring us closer to Him.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#3]
All of the reasons mentioned in the article and the ones posted are all correct in my opinion and I absolutely agree.

But I would like to offer another reason that hasn't been mentioned yet. Could God allow suffering in order to bring others, besides the one suffering, into what He is doing?  Could it bring more than just the ones suffering closer to Him?

Hypothetical example story: I see that my neighbor is struggling financially as it is, and then they get their car window busted out while it sits in the driveway. Nobody knows how it happens. So now they have to pay their deductible and miss work in order to have it fixed, etc, putting more of a burden on an already stressed financial situation. God then puts a burden on my heart to help them, but I want God to get the glory so they thank Him and hopefully draws them closer to Him. So I do it in private.
In this example story that happens everyday a few things have happened
1. The neighbor that is suffering is blessed with money they need
2. God was able to use me to serve and show God's love
3. The neighbor now has a reason to trust that God will provide, and if they are not believers it may lead them to God
4. Through serving and being obedient to God I have moved closer to Him

We, as Christians, were not meant to live our lives in isolation, or on our own. We are to serve one another. We are to lift each other up. If there were no struggles or suffering we couldn't do this.

If there wasn't any suffering then we wouldn't have to help each other, some might say. But, if you have ever had kids then you know there is hardly anything better than watching one of your kids help their brother or sister when they are struggling. The pride you feel when you see the older brother helping the younger brother learn how to ride his bike. I imagine God feels the same way when we help our brothers and sisters.

On the other hand, as a parent how would you feel if one of your kids accidentally ran their bike into a ditch and was stuck or hurt and the brother or sister just walked on by without helping. Can you imagine what God thinks about us just passing one of our brothers or sisters and not trying to help?

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#4]
<><
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 5:04:50 AM EDT
[#5]
He then told them a parable on the need for them to pray always and not to become discouraged:

"There was a judge in one town who didn't fear (or reverence) God or respect man.
And a widow in that town kept coming to him, saying, 'Give me justice against my adversary.'

"For a while he was unwilling, but latter he said to himself, 'Even though I do not fear God (or in this case; do not fear God as to His judgments in the earth), or respect man, yet because this widow keeps pestering me, I will give her justice, so she doesn't wear me out by her persistent coming to me all of the time now.' "

Then the Lord said:

"Listen to what the unjust judge says.
Will not God grant justice to His elect who cry out to Him day and night?
Will He delay to help them?
I tell you that He will swiftly grant them justice.
Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He find that faith (or that kind of faith in the faithful) on earth?"

The Words of Truth of Jesus Christ to His Disciples
The Gospel of Saint Luke the Physician 18: 1-8
The Parable of the Persistent Widow Who Received Justice
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 5:37:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Brothers, take the prophets who spoke in the Lord's Name as an example of suffering and patience.
See, we count as blessed those who have endured.
You have heard of Job's endurance and have seen the outcome from the Lord: the Lord is very compassionate and merciful.

The Words of James; Jesus' Brother Through the Epistle
James 5: 10-11
The Necessity of Patience and Enduring Godly Behavior
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#7]
People immediately blame God for the existence of evil. And evil is what perpetrates suffering. People don't have to do anything wrong for it to find them. The innocent seem to be called to suffer the  worst.  The almighty omnipotent, all loving God, will stop all suffering and evil in His time.

What spoiled children of God we are?  Why would we have need of God at all if there was no reason to turn to Him? If all had been good would we have had need of Christ in the first place? Would we freely chose Christ if there were no suffering?

Isn't Christ HOPE for us?

Christ explained this in a parable.  The good seed was sown into the field. At night the enemy came and sowed weeds. When the servants saw this they asked, should we destroy the field?

The answer was no let them grow together and at the harvest the tares will be gathered and burned while the wheat will be stored in the barn.

Suffering is a great favor.
Remember that everything soon comes to an end . . . and take courage.
Think of how our gain is eternal.

--St. Teresa of Avila

In order to purify a soul, Jesus
uses whatever instruments he likes. My soul underwent a complete
abandonment on the part of creatures; often my best intentions were
misinterpreted by the sisters, a type of suffering which is most
painful; but God allows it, and we must accept it because in this way
we become more like Jesus.

Christ didn't say He was going to remove our suffering He said, Take up your CROSS and follow me.

I haven't suffered enough and I am sure there is more coming in my life time.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Posted By stanc:

People immediately blame God for the existence of evil.
And rightly so. God has the power to eliminate evil, but chooses instead to allow it to exist.

The almighty omnipotent, all loving God, will stop all suffering and evil in His time.
That's swell. Doesn't do us much good in our time, though.

What spoiled children of God we are?
By what "logic" do you equate not wanting to suffer with being spoiled???

Why would we have need of God at all if there was no reason to turn to Him?
Well, even if there was no suffering, there'd still be the life after death thing...

If all had been good would we have had need of Christ in the first place?
That's hard to say. Personally, I'd be more interested in knowing why God needed Man in the first place.

Isn't Christ HOPE for us?
He doesn't seem to give us much hope for this life.

I haven't suffered enough and I am sure there is more coming in my life time.
Hey, if you desire to suffer more, you're welcome to do so. As far as I'm concerned, there are far too many people on this planet who have suffered far too much already.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Stanc, I thought that you didn't believe in God.
Apparently I was incorrect about you being an atheist right?
So, now you've gone and made up your mind correct?

If not, then you state these things above as the fool would state such things.
This is what the Bible states,you know, the One that you so detest right now!
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:33:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Household slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel. For it brings favor if, because of conscience toward God, someone endures grief from suffering unjustly. For what credit is there if you endure when you sin and then you are beaten for it?

But on the other hand, when you do good and then suffer, if you endure, this brings favor with God (or this brings favor with God and builds up a mighty Faith in Him).

For you were called (or predestined as a whole people and as church of followers) for this, because Christ also suffered for you (or suffered for you so that in time you would not faint and build endurance by His example, and surely would not quit), leaving you as an example, that you should follow in His steps (Lit or that you should always follow in His steps of righteousness).

He did not commit sin,
and no deceit was found
in His mouth;

when reviled, He did not revile
in return;
when suffering,
He did not threaten,
but committed  Himself
to the One who judges justly.

He Himself bore our sins, so that we might live for righteousness;

By His wounding you have been healed.
For you were like sheep going astray,
but now you have returned to the shepherd
and guardian of your souls.

The Writings of Saint Peter the Disciple and Apostle of the Lord
1st Peter 2: 18-25
Submission of Slaves to Masters: Servants of the Lord
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top